cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you play pirated games on Oculus rift s

kotemote
Honored Guest
Hey, I was wondering if I can play pirated games on Oculus rift like half life alyx.
40 REPLIES 40

I've still got a copy of Tomahawk for the Spectrum lying around somewhere which had Lenslok… a prism you put over a pattern on the screen that decoded it into letters to enter before the game could be launched. I think elite was the first game to use it, seemed pretty clever at the time.
97yaenjny2mg.jpg

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
I remember the lenslock, i had that for the flying game Ace on the Vic-20, although if i remember correctly i could not get the lock to work on the massive eye popping 22in living room tv, but it worked on my 14in portable tv in the bedroom thankfully.......how far we have come in such a short period. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

LemonyPep
Explorer

kotemote said:

Hey, I was wondering if I can play pirated games on Oculus rift like half life alyx.

Probably by turning on "Allow unknown sources".

but bruh don't pirate is kinda ilegal!!!!!!

kostia87
Honored Guest
It's definitely best to buy the game but there are good educational and presales reasons (in my opinion) for pirating.

Everyone that replies with "this is a stupid question", is ignorant.

This whole thread just turned into another annoying intervention with a bunch of old farts shunning pirating & humble bragging of how they built their first computers/games - Noone is answering the question at hand "how do you launch a pirated game in VR?"

I personally have a legit reason to try pirated games. To Try them!

I downloaded a game, say Dirt Rally 2 - which doesn't have a demo from the creator or on Steam  - you will be surprised most games don't have demos anymore. Without these demos how are people supposed to try things for free -> and don't tell me watch videos online; because that is not the same and you don't know how it will work with your hardware. 

Also, don't worry I know how to check if what I downloaded is going to mess me up with viruses or malware. Also, there are professional crackers out there, that do not put any bad shit into their pirated releases. Also the results gets cross checked by many people - and you can see the feedback in the comments before you download.

What do I do with a pirated game? I try it out, if I like it, I buy it! I don't want to waste 60$ on a game, only to find out its not fun or doesn't work with my hardware (you might say well then upgrade - then I say, not everyone is made of precious money!).

I understand that most people that pirate do so without buying the game afterward, well whatever, then they miss out on the multiplayer that the regular people enjoy. So there are definite entertainment cons to pirating and so buying it becomes a next step. So I think there is legit & good reasons for pirated games to exist. Also, the "pirate" are experienced developers, and they get to hone their skills cracking these.

OP I might be wrong, but perhaps this will work? I can't post links, so google this: openovr_released_play_steamvr_games_without
I haven't tried it yet.
Also, I was thinking maybe the game needs to be launched with a special argument. I tried a couple myself to no success.
Game.exe -vr
Game.exe -VR
Game.exe --vr
Game.exe --VR

I was thinking that might work because there is a -noVR option for unity games to start without VR... Idk.

kostia87
Honored Guest
It's definitely best to buy the game but there are good educational and presales reasons (in my opinion) for pirating. By that I mean, one can pirate a game to try it out. Then if you like it, buy it. You might rebuttal with try the demo or view some videos online. The problem is that demos are not as available anymore as they used to be, and what you see online will not be a one to one mapping to how you will experience the product. Also there is definite benefits to buy the game after pirating, a pirated game can't access the vast multiplayer modes that a normal purchased game can.

I think we should answer OPs question instead of patronizing him especially since talking about pirating is okay according to a previous reply (as long as you don't talk about sources) 

kojack
MVP
MVP

kostia87 said:

I think we should answer OPs question instead of patronizing him

His question was answered. Alyx is only available as a Steam game, its copy protection has nothing to do with Oculus. If he can bypass Steam protection, the Oculus software doesn't care and has no way of knowing.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Also, the argument about trying before buying doesn't wash with me as a reason to pirate.
Both Steam and Oculus refund games if playtime is below 2 hours.

If 2 hours isn't sufficient then I'd say you're doing more than trying. The refund policy can be slow sometimes with Oculus and problems may occur if there are numerous refund requests but it means all 2 hour periods are full featured. Plus, unlike when I started gaming, there are now countless YouTubers reviewing the popular titles, users giving star ratings, forums discussing titles. 2 hours play time after that should be good enough imo.

DavidD8
Honored Guest

Also, the argument about trying before buying doesn't wash with me as a reason to pirate.
Both Steam and Oculus refund games if playtime is below 2 hours.

If 2 hours isn't sufficient then I'd say you're doing more than trying. The refund policy can be slow sometimes with Oculus and problems may occur if there are numerous refund requests but it means all 2 hour periods are full featured. Plus, unlike when I started gaming, there are now countless YouTubers reviewing the popular titles, users giving star ratings, forums discussing titles. 2 hours play time after that should be good enough imo.
Completely disagree with this as the 2 hour limit is easily reached and some developers have gotten to the point where they make the first two hours of a game the most action packed (usually with unskippable cutscenes) or exciting and after that there is a noticible drop off in gameplay quality right around the two hour mark. Throw in twenty minutes for tweaking the settings (keybinds, graphics, etc) to what you like the most and you're only really getting 1 hour and 40 minutes of gameplay.
For literally everything else in the UK you have a 30 day (it might have changed to 15 days) period to say "yeah I don't like this I'm sending it back" under distance selling regulations. Steam wriggled out of this (I forget how exactly) but 2 hours is nothing unless you're playing something like a tower defence game with no depth.

Take skyrim for example. On your first run through you'll more than likely have used up more than an hour and a half getting through the first dungeon and out to the mainland.
Or Fallout 4 where you maybe just leave your vault on that two hour mark provided you didn't skip through cutscenes.

6 hours is a more fair number. Some games have a campaign that is only 6 hours long, however they are usually MP intensive.

Some of the most enjoyed titles I my steam library were 'try before you buy' purchases. There aren't demos anymore (for the most part) and games aren't cheap, unless you go to one of those steam keys websites which are money laundering sites for scams that usually target the elderly, so I refuse to buy from them and am disgusted that I ever used them, even though I had no idea that's how they got their steam keys.

I get that indie devs need all they can get,
 however THE indie dev who made a game that was pretty much genre defining (Notch, Minecraft) even encouraged people to pirate his game and said that developers who 'suffer' from 'lost sales' just need to make a better gsme.

Not everyone can afford to give up one or two weeks worth of food on the off chance that they might still like a game 3 hours in. Some people want to know if they are spending their money right.

mouth breather......

HamishDuff
Honored Guest

All these butthurt shills like "you need to support game designers, you're making the games more expensive for others". Says who? They make plenty of money without my contribution, and if they aren't aware that I've pirated my copy, why would prices increase? You're all implying that project owners see sales numbers (again they have zero info about # of pirated copies) are lower than expected and raise the price in response... makes sense... smh