cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why wont Rift s get hand tracking?????

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello, I just bought a rift s about a month ago and it's not arrived but hand tacking just came out for quest so I was wondering if I would come out for rift s because that's annoying seen as the rift s also has pc power. thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
ecause for me it looks like the rift s is dead because if quest can have it why can't rift s have it.

furegato
Explorer
Because on the Quest 95% of the games played are bought on the Quest Store... Where for the Rift S ... 90% are bought on Steam...
Can you see where they are making money after the purchase of the headset? 😉
Even thou I have a Rift S, I think it's good that Quest exists. All this revenue from the Oculus Store will be funneled into a Quest 2, that will be way superior than the current Quest and Rift and will be wireless with an option out of the box to be used o a PC(not this current adapted USB mess). Most probably will have a much more decent passthrough camera as well and finally will be lighter...

Darqem
Honored Guest

furegato said:

Because on the Quest 95% of the games played are bought on the Quest Store... Where for the Rift S ... 90% are bought on Steam...
Even thou I have a Rift S, I think it's good that Quest exists. All this revenue from the Oculus Store will be funneled into a Quest 2, that will be way superior than the current Quest and Rift and will be wireless with an option out of the box to be used o a PC(not this current adapted USB mess). Most probably will have a much more decent passthrough camera as well and finally will be lighter...

Is the Rift S worth buy?

TollyBoyer
Explorer
Rift S is dead, there is only Quest for Oculus now

McNutts
Adventurer
I work in computer vision (measurements/tracking using non-consumer digital cameras) and mainly work in 3D computer vision. I DO NOT work on the Quest, Rift S, or for Oculus so take what I say as an opinion as some who knows how this stuff works but didn't make it. 

I also just woke up and realized I'm out of coffee so my brain is working at 20% of it's normal speed. So if there are any grammar and spelling mistakes I apologize for them now.

I think it comes down to the camera setup on the Rift S. The Quest has four cameras that can see in front of the unit. Sure you might think "The cameras on the Quest don't point toward the front of the unit" and you're correct. The cameras do have very small focal length lenses though. This allows them to see a much larger portion of whats around them as opposed to high focal length lenses that have a much smaller view. Below are some quick and dirt diagrams to illustrate what I'm talking about.

Example of the field of view of 50mm and 25mm lenses: https://imgur.com/a/fK7dYBn

Example of a Fish Eye lens field of view: https://imgur.com/a/h4HTFok

I don't know exactly what the focal length the cameras on the Quest are but I'm pretty sure they are small focal length lenses. They're probably near 10mm if not smaller. Because of the small focal length of the lenses there is a lot of over lap with what the cameras can see. When you have over lap of 2 or more camera views you can make 3D measurements and that's what is needed for decent finger tracking. 

The positions of the cameras on the Rift S don't seem to be in the best position for finger tracking. With the controllers the software knows what the controllers look like. The developers can make assumptions that allow the software to track the controllers really well if they lose 3D camera coverage (only one camera sees the controller for a few seconds)  for a few seconds. Add in the other sensors in the controllers (accelerometers) and the tracking works pretty well most of the time.

With your fingers the only data the software is getting to track them is from the cameras. There aren't any accelerometers in your fingers streaming data to the Rift S software. So for the tracking to work well they need to see the fingers from different angles. Unfortunately the position of the cameras on the Rift S just don't seem to be in the best position to achieve good finger tracking.

All they would need to do is position the cameras in roughly the same way the Quest has it's cameras and it would work well. I would even add a camera on the top and back of the headset so tracking still works well when I move my controller behind my head. I don't do it much but it a game like Half Life: Alyx its required that I reach behind me to grab ammo or put things away in my back pack.
Ryzen 7 5800X | 3090FE | 32GB@3600MHz | Rift S | 128GB Quest1 | 256GB Quest2 | 64GB Go | PSVR | Index

furegato
Explorer

Darqem said:

furegato said:

Is the Rift S worth buy?

If you are an exclusive PC gaming kind of person on a budget, I can still recommend the Oculus Rift S.
Otherwise, I would not recommend it at all. I would either go with a more expensive (Index) if you are an PC enthusiast or a Quest if you are a console person.