cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Comic Book Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
What are your favourite superheroes? What are your favourite graphic novels?

For me I'd have to say The Punisher is my favourite because he's a complete headcase lol 😄

And the Daredevil comes a VERY close second because I'm a United fan 😛

Comic books that need to be consigned to the nearest landfill have to be the godawful The Children Of The Atom and even worse the New Warriors.

https://youtu.be/oLVebLhsG7w

Children Of The Atom trailer.

https://youtu.be/5PCWUCv1rnU

New Warriors trailer.

I'm still not sure if that New Warriors is a real thing or an early April Fool's joke lmfao 😄 The characters are fucking TERRIBLE, their 'powers' are even WORSE.

And all of this is happening at a time when comic book shops are going out of business. I just can't see the sense in releasing a bunch of politically correct VERY poorly devised characters at a time when the industry is about to collapse. Stan Lee will be spinning in his grave these last few weeks. It's pure insanity.

Not sure if DC have also started doing this sort of nonsense but if they have the comic book industry is fucking d00med  😮 😄

Thankfully we're still getting some decent stuff crowdfunded so all is not completely lost.
62 REPLIES 62

Anonymous
Not applicable
Daredevil was awesome, shame that Netflix lost the Marvel licence though. In terms of awesomeness I rate the Marvel series in this order:

Daredevil > The Punisher > Jessica Jones > Luke Cage > Iron Fist

They also did a mini-series that had all of them in it which was pretty good too. 😄

nalex66
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Daredevil was awesome, shame that Netflix lost the Marvel licence though. In terms of awesomeness I rate the Marvel series in this order:

Daredevil > The Punisher > Jessica Jones > Luke Cage > Iron Fist

They also did a mini-series that had all of them in it which was pretty good too. 😄

Yeah, The Defenders, I watched that too, as well as season 1 of Jessica Jones. The Defenders storyline was what got me interested in the ComiXology app--I had some old Daredevil comics featuring the Hand when I was younger, and I wanted to re-read those. I think I had the issue where Elektra died, but it's all a blur now.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Still no news on Safespace and Snowflake, apart from a comic book shop owner saying he's bought 500 copies of the first issue because he's convinced that the publicity will make the New Warriors sell. Bloody idiot ???

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Well at least he will have paper for the next TP shortage.
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
I still have my doubts that Marvel will actually release the thing. It isn't in the list of stuff being released next month and it's suffered delay after delay after delay.

I'm still not sure if it's actually a real thing tbh, probably started off as an April Fool's joke and they thought they'd continue the ruse cos it's a bit of a giggle ????

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Btw, collecting comics may also be a nice investment - maybe more secure than stocks, but of course you never know. 

This is the price development for Amazing Fantasy #15 (first Spidey) - during the last 17 years, the price has risen from about 3K to 45K - and this is just for a well-read CGC 5.0 copy:

Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 5.0

knuqckunijnm.jpg

The line isn't correct for 2003, prices that year were from $2,000 to 2,750 - while the last sale was 44K (May 2020). 

- and I should have bought the Tomb of Dracula #10 CGC 9.8 many years ago, but I still consider more than 2K expensive for that book, because I do not care much for Blade, sigh:

Tomb of Dracula #10 CGC 9.8
8sjln1wrskjf.jpg
Prices were less than 2K in 2002, now they are between 12K and 15K. 

Of course not all books show such tendencies, especially books with the first appearance of a superhero or villain seem to increase a lot in value these days. 

Personally I buy books I love, I don't speculate in certain books - well, maybe I should have bought a copy of Amazing Fantasy #15 before that rocket took of. 

Also, if WW3 ever comes, and we run out of toilet paper, I'm sure comics will be much better than stamps or stocks  😄 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm gonna buy issue #1 of the new New Warriors. Quality like that is gonna be worth a FORTUNE in a few years ???

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just bought my largest comic book yet, lol - added the movie box to show the book's size:

wje1qevivr2b.jpg

Not sure how to sit and read it - the book is shown here:

https://youtu.be/RWHpkza11nQ

I like Jim Lee's art, it's so long ago I read those stories, they will probably be like new to me today, lol. Also got Miller's Holy Terror - haven't read that one before. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Holy Terror Miller Frank 8601416229973 Amazoncom Books

Note that the Miller book has been the subject of much controversy - from Wikipedia:

Holy Terror was controversial upon release; many comic book writers and reviewers argued that the novel's depiction of Muslims was Islamophobic.[16] David Brothers of ComicsAlliance, in a review of the book, felt that Miller's writing "[simplifies] matters to an almost absurd level... the enemy in Holy Terror is not so much the terrorist organization, Al-Qaeda, but the religion of Islam."[17] Similarly, Cyriaque Lamar of Io9 called the portrayal of terrorists "cartoonish... [gutting] Holy Terror of any emotional resonance."[18] Spencer Ackerman of Wired wrote that the book was "one of the most appalling, offensive and vindictive comics of all time... Miller's Holy Terror is a screed against Islam, completely uninterested in any nuance or empathy toward 1.2 billion people he conflates with a few murderous conspiracy theorists."[19]

Stan Lee has been another critic of this method, saying that such "corny" propaganda methods were outdated and inappropriate.[citation needed]

In August 2006, fellow Batman writer Grant Morrison criticized the novel's concept, saying:

Batman vs. Al Qaeda! It might as well be Bin Laden vs. King Kong! Or how about the sinister Al Qaeda mastermind up against a hungry Hannibal Lecter! For all the good it's likely to do. Cheering on a fictional character as he beats up fictionalized terrorists seems like a decadent indulgence when real terrorists are killing real people in the real world. I'd be so much more impressed if Frank Miller gave up all this graphic novel nonsense, joined the Army and, with a howl of undying hate, rushed headlong onto the front lines with the young soldiers who are actually risking life and limb 'vs.' Al Qaeda.[20]

Miller responded generally to these criticisms on his blog, again referring to the book as intentional propaganda "without apology" and saying, "I'm too old to serve my country in any other way. Otherwise, I'd gladly be pulling the trigger myself."[21] However, in 2018, Miller expressed regret for writing Holy Terror: "When I look at Holy Terror, which I really don’t do all that often, I can really feel the anger ripple out of the pages... I don’t want to wipe out chapters of my own biography. But I’m not capable of that book again."[22]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Terror_(graphic_novel)

From reading the book, it's clear (at least to me) that this originally was a Batman book taking place in Gotham City, but maybe DC got cold feet and Miller changed Batman to some dude named "The Fixer" (which looks extremely much like Batman, lol) and the city is now called "Empire City". This was a fun illustration, lol:

odwcrqtnyrhf.jpg
Then again, "The Fixer" does do things that Batman wouldn't. The book is what it is - but the art is really awesome, some of the best Miller art I've seen. 

caabtex0rsmq.jpg

https://youtu.be/DZg4UOB2uCk

Anonymous
Not applicable
Islamic fundamentalist nutjobs in comics, video games, TV and films are fair game as far as I'm concerned. B)