cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb 3.1 full bandwidth/combining wifi bandwidth with usb bandwidth

PARTYW00T
Explorer
i know carmac has stated he hopes to implement a new mode that utilizes the full bandwidth of 3.1, i was just hoping to discuss how that might work, as right now with link objects in the distance are really blurry even with supersampling and debug tool tweaks, on a evga 2080ti hybrid @ 2100mhz and a 9900k @ 4.9 ghz.

my hopes are that either
A) it will be used to compress the outside edges of the image, leaving the center of the image fully uncompressed - like foveated compression. 
or 
B) like every other frame/every third frame is compressed, or something like that, if A) isn't acheivable.

either of these would reduce the load on the hardware decoder, as it is not needed to display uncompressed images, as well as greatly increasing the visual fidelity of pcvr games. if there was any pcvr headset that wasnt either a downgrade from the cv1 in some way or a $1200 device, i would have purchased a newer dedicated pcvr headset already, but since there is not, hopefully in the next few months the image quality on link gets less blurry - i know the screen is capable of showing far off objects without the blur, due to Virtual desktop.
another option could be using a wireless ac network in tandem with the link cable to increase the bandwidth, while keeping the controller/tracking latency reasonable via the wired connection. VD works great for me, the only thing is that the latency is a tad worse than link. everything is still playable (i cant do higher than expert on beat saber anyways), but the lower latency of the physical connection tends to mean i do better in games when plugged in.

thoughts? comments? suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer
I can't get my quest to recognize its even plugged in to my 3.1 gen2 socket type C.
Phone works fine,fast charges,sees modem etc
Cable works with powerbank/quest fine.
Will test original cable tonight....

I am still on v16 for both pc and quest.

Antec Quattro ~ Asrock Taichi X399 ~ Threadripper 1920X ~ 32gb 3200mhz GSkill ~ RTX3060ti ~ m.2 970evo

Strongit
Heroic Explorer
Best case scenario would likely be a dedicated dongle for your PC to link to the quest.  Wifi direct comes to mind which wouldn't require additional hardware for the quest and can have very low latency as the Nvidia shield tablet had a controller that used wifi direct with very good results.  That said wired connections will always have lower latency because of the nature of data communication but you can get damn close in ideal situations.
Quest 1, i5-8600K at 4.7 GHz, eVGA 1080 ti FTW3, Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Ultra Gaming, 16 GB 3200 MHz

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer

Strongit said:

Best case scenario would likely be a dedicated dongle for your PC to link to the quest.  Wifi direct comes to mind which wouldn't require additional hardware for the quest and can have very low latency as the Nvidia shield tablet had a controller that used wifi direct with very good results.  That said wired connections will always have lower latency because of the nature of data communication but you can get damn close in ideal situations.

I have other usb3 sockets available and anker cable,link working fine here,mainly use VD anyways.

Was just trying to ascertain the 3.1 gen 2 block to the quest in my scenario.
The gen 2 cable works with quest but not recognized when plugged into 3.1 gen 2 socket,at least C type.
Do have A type 3.1 gen 2 socket but not a cable.

Read about upcoming support for 3.1 gen 2
Antec Quattro ~ Asrock Taichi X399 ~ Threadripper 1920X ~ 32gb 3200mhz GSkill ~ RTX3060ti ~ m.2 970evo

MystaMagoo
Heroic Explorer
Just an update here.............

Quest will recognise the cable/connection but ONLY when turned off.
If quest is on when cable is plugged in then nothing happens.
If quest is off when plugged in the quest charges and quite rapidly too.