cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to add friends or play games with them when I do not have a Facebook account?

Black_Jack_62
Honored Guest
Is there any way that I can add friends or respond to their invites when I do not have a Facebook account?

My son recently bought a Quest and I would like to play game with him, but I will not get a Facebook account.  I have not ever had a Facebook account and I certainly will not get a Facebook account for any reason.
32 REPLIES 32

Knightshot42
Explorer
There I removed it. I respect rules on forums.  I am an owner of a 67,000 member forum and we have over 30 volunteers running it.  It is a thankless job and I have great respect for those who donate their time to keep it running peacefully. We also don't allow political discussions 🙂  Anyway I appreciate how you handled my indiscretion. Very unfortunate Facebook does not show the same courtesies to its members. It was one of the reasons I bought an Oculus ....because it was independent of Facebook 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

There I removed it. I respect rules on forums.  I am an owner of a 67,000 member forum and we have over 30 volunteers running it.  It is a thankless job and I have great respect for those who donate their time to keep it running peacefully. We also don't allow political discussions 🙂  Anyway I appreciate how you handled my indiscretion. Very unfortunate Facebook does not show the same courtesies to its members. It was one of the reasons I bought an Oculus ....because it was independent of Facebook 😉

However but owned by Facebook. 
😉 
No surprise really the direction they are taking.
I am a big fan of my Rift S, and Rift CV1 prior to that. I so wish Oculus would take the lead again on PC-VR develpment...

Thanks for editing you comment @Knightshot42 we tend to not delete or edit comments unless they're obviously offensive but as you know the political  (or religious) stuff can pretty quickly take on an unpleasant life of their own.

Knightshot42
Explorer
I discovered I can actually log in to Dead and Buried, start a game and then invite a friend, however, the question would then be how do I invite my buddy when he just got his set so is not listed in my established friends list?  I thought Facebook just purchased Oculus recently. Had it since 2014.  So why didn't they state on their website site that social features needed to assist multi-player games and house visits were being discontinued or switched over. I honestly do not think I would have purchased the two Oculus sets when I did if they had stated I would need to link my Facebook to my Oculus account to use the features a year down the road.   Having a 'free to use' social media site and banning people from it is one thing, BUT when taking money from customers for hardware and services it is highly unethical to diminish those services or render the key features unavailable after the fact. They should have made provisions for non-Facebook users to continue to access the Oculus system features that were advertised and that they expected.  Then the could have introduce the Facebook link as an option with additional features. I wonder how many unhappy people there are out there that either didn't want Facebook or couldn't have Facebook.

TriniaX
Honored Guest
Its a cheek that I am compelled to use Facebook and I don't want to use it. There are peoples that give a f*** off Facebook. It should be my choice without restriction.

Richooal
Consultant

I discovered I can actually log in to Dead and Buried, start a game and then invite a friend, however, the question would then be how do I invite my buddy when he just got his set so is not listed in my established friends list?  I thought Facebook just purchased Oculus recently. Had it since 2014.  So why didn't they state on their website site that social features needed to assist multi-player games and house visits were being discontinued or switched over. I honestly do not think I would have purchased the two Oculus sets when I did if they had stated I would need to link my Facebook to my Oculus account to use the features a year down the road.   Having a 'free to use' social media site and banning people from it is one thing, BUT when taking money from customers for hardware and services it is highly unethical to diminish those services or render the key features unavailable after the fact. They should have made provisions for non-Facebook users to continue to access the Oculus system features that were advertised and that they expected.  Then the could have introduce the Facebook link as an option with additional features. I wonder how many unhappy people there are out there that either didn't want Facebook or couldn't have Facebook.

I couldn't agree more.
However, this has been "discussed over and over in other threads for a long time. You will get no official response. The only other response you will get is......"I don't see why it's a problem, all you have to do is make a fake Facebook account and link it".
Those people are missing the point. A "social/friends" system was in place before and was constantly developed and improved. That system, which people bought into has been closed to everybody except Facebook account holders". It just ain't right.

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

wuzp
Rising Star

I thought Facebook just purchased Oculus recently. Had it since 2014.  So why didn't they state on their website site that social features needed to assist multi-player games and house visits were being discontinued or switched over.

Yes, Facebook purchased Oculus in March of 2014.  The Facebook social features were not turned on until December of 2019, and were announced in an Oculus website blog post, along with changes to the Oculus user privacy policy.  The impact of the privacy policy changes are addressed in this FAQ.  So it wasn't a "big secret."

nalex66
MVP
MVP

... I thought Facebook just purchased Oculus recently. Had it since 2014. 
So why didn't they state on their website site that social features
needed to assist multi-player games and house visits were being
discontinued or switched over. I honestly do not think I would have
purchased the two Oculus sets when I did if they had stated I would need
to link my Facebook to my Oculus account to use the features a year
down the road.  Having a 'free to use' social media site and banning people from it is one thing, BUT when taking money from customers for hardware and services it is highly unethical to diminish those services or render the key features unavailable after the fact. They should have made provisions for non-Facebook users to continue to access the Oculus system features that were advertised and that they expected.  Then the could have introduce the Facebook link as an option with additional features. I wonder how many unhappy people there are out there that either didn't want Facebook or couldn't have Facebook.

Facebook acquired Oculus in March 2014, just before they announced the DK2, so it has been a Facebook company for as long as you've owned their products. It may be annoying that they've shifted Oculus closer to the parent company and added account requirements, but it's really not that surprising.
Furthermore, All digital services (like Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc) reserve the right to ban you and cut off your access to services and even paid content, if you break their rules. I would recommend that you focus on your Facebook problem, and either dispute your ban and try to get your account unlocked, or make a new account and try not to violate their terms and conditions with that one.
Your other option is to use alternate social services like Steam to connect with friends, but obviously that doesn't help you with matchmaking in Oculus platform games.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

wuzp
Rising Star
And FYI, AltspaceVR has been owned by Microsoft since 2017.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just create a dummy account and don't go anywhere near it again. You don't even need to use your own name.

Problem solved.