New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

PC Software Build 17.0 Release Notes

Comments

• lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 550
    Neo
    I'm getting white noise screen inside the headset. Is that normal?

I think what you are seeing there is the pass through camera view of your surroundings. It's a grey grainy representation of your immediate environment. That's normal :)
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,228 Volunteer Moderator

I'm getting white noise screen inside the headset. Is that normal?

I think what you are seeing there is the pass through camera view of your surroundings. It's a grey grainy representation of your immediate environment. That's normal :)
    Unless the headset is sitting face down on carpet, that image looks like the static that happens when the cameras aren't working.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • GamingTC2GamingTC2 Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    I don't opt in to beta.  Yesterday I had the normal update to v17, a few hours later v17.1 and today it returned to v16.  All by itself.
    Does anyone else have this problem?
  • maxstepmaxstep Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    Rift S is only picked up as usb 2.0 instead of 3.0 - nothing helps. Had same issue in PTC 17. x99 asus mobo with built in asmedia controller.
  • Doc_62Doc_62 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Things would be easier if Oculus just came out and said:
    We know there is a problem with the latest update. We are working hard to rectify the situation and we hope to be able to push out a fix soon.
  • bitziebitzie Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    Holy crap. Finally got build 17 and it actually got rid of the micro stutters I was having previously. Too little too late though. Put my order in for an Index. It's time to ditch the Oculus ecosystem.
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 2,083 Valuable Player
    maxstep said:
    Rift S is only picked up as usb 2.0 instead of 3.0 - nothing helps. Had same issue in PTC 17. x99 asus mobo with built in asmedia controller.

Did you read this post from page 3? .................
    Hey folks - I'm asking the team about the USB 3 warning message that some of you are seeing on Rift / Rift S. In the meantime, could those of you who are newly and unexpectedly seeing the warning (i.e. you've confirmed that your headset is actually plugged into a USB 3 port rather than a USB 2 port) please use the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the desktop software to submit a bug report. Please be sure to tick the box allowing your system information to be submitted along with the report. This is hugely helpful for our investigation - thank you!

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• dhrtodhrto Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    Crap, in the end I received the update too. Oculus App Version 17.0.0.183.462 (17.0.0.183.462). Et voila:

Time to file a report and take another look at the Index.
  • rewardreward Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Bonjour, j'ai eu une mise à jour V17 et je ne peut plus jouer à X-plane. comme d'habitute le technicien de Oculus m'a demandé de faire une reset factory, cela n'a rien changé, comme d'habitude. 
    Pourriez-vous me dire comment on reviens à la v16 et comment on bloque les mises à jour.
    Bien cordialement

• max883max883 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    The Usb 3.0 from the headsett got overloaded by The New update . And has now redused bandwith. Mainly Rift cv1 owners
  • morphee7morphee7 Posts: 147
    Art3mis
    well i had the 17.0.0.183.462 (17.0.0.183.462) no issues with the usb 3 issue however i was on acc last night on the rift s and after about 39 nibutes i got stutters then 5 minutes before the end of a 60 minute race the view went all messed up like i was just about to go into warp speed, it was like my head was fixed in one spot and when i moved my head it moved the view in the distance and kept my head in the same spot.

i took the headset off and put it back on and just got a black screen and did this a few times until it came back, i then canceled the game and it still did the same in oculus home so it wasnt acc causing the issue
  • louis.drake.5245louis.drake.5245 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    the oculus driver update make me headset go black every minute i hope this get fix soon
  • max883max883 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited May 2020
    It canot be fixed by a update. The Usb from The headsett is not longer working as it got overloadet by to much curent. Oculus is working on a sulution.  
  • BajeeBajee Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same issue here. Oculus is complaining about USB 2. I've been using my CV 1 through the Vive Linkbox for years with no issues. Since the latest update the CV 1 isn't recognized anymore.
  • BajeeBajee Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I tried downgrading to v16. This got rid of the error messages about USB 3, but I still had a black screen. Finally I completely reinstalled v17 and it seems to work now. I still get the warning about USB 3, but it works.
  • rewardreward Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    How do you declassify? Thank you for your help

NerveGear
    max883 said:
    It canot be fixed by a update. The Usb from The headsett is not longer working as it got overloadet by to much curent. Oculus is working on a sulution.  
    Where did you find this info Max?
    NerveGear
    Why do we have a distinct lack of anyone posting from staff?
    NerveGear
    Can anyone tell me if rift and rift s use the same update files?
  • adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    Doc_62 if you are referring to the driver then yes. They used to update drivers for each headset independently and it worked great. Some months ago they consolidated every headset into a single driver. Now when a new driver is released every headset (Rift, Rift S, Quest) installs it even if it doesn't change anything for that particular headset brand.  Firmware is still separate though. Once you install the new driver it will prompt you to install new firmware only if one was released for your headset brand. Hope that makes sense.
    Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • JohnClark1963JohnClark1963 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited May 2020
    I fix it!
  • dhrtodhrto Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    Please enlighten us then ;)
    Art3mis
    ok for months it was working without issues on the v16 after i had to turn on ASW @ 45fps (40 on rift s) then they release this v17 and it goes to s*** again, last time i used it after about 45 mins the visual side went to a sort of locked position and i could look left and right slightly only. it was like i was using my old samsung galaxy S8 with that samsung gear that came with it, i have just come off it again and same again 45 - 50 mins later and as i was still racing the view was very slowly moving itself to the left,

now when i ended i restart the oculus software through the beta tab and when it came back it said my headset was not working and try plugging it into another usb port, so i take it out and plug it into the very next usb 3 port next to it and it works again now before after many many many many tickets for various issues they asked me to return it and as i was in shielding i coulfnt get out to do so so they said ok do it when i can but then it seem to fix itself with an update but they had closed my case with no resolve,

all i want to do now is send it back and get my money back but i do believe this is inpossible as my 1 year warrenty has run out

ive had tt with your stupid updates breaking mine and alot of peoples rif/ rifs s' and it is about time you were made accountable for your actions and with your shoddy customer support with ticket replies with unplug replug update drivers reinstall the software crap answers and with also 4 or 5 different people answering the same ticket wh9o dont even bother reading the ticket
  • KareshiKareshi Posts: 141
    Art3mis
    edited May 2020
    morphee7 said:
    ok for months it was working without issues on the v16 after i had to turn on ASW @ 45fps (40 on rift s) then they release this v17 and it goes to s*** again, last time i used it after about 45 mins the visual side went to a sort of locked position and i could look left and right slightly only. it was like i was using my old samsung galaxy S8 with that samsung gear that came with it, i have just come off it again and same again 45 - 50 mins later and as i was still racing the view was very slowly moving itself to the left,

now when i ended i restart the oculus software through the beta tab and when it came back it said my headset was not working and try plugging it into another usb port, so i take it out and plug it into the very next usb 3 port next to it and it works again now before after many many many many tickets for various issues they asked me to return it and as i was in shielding i coulfnt get out to do so so they said ok do it when i can but then it seem to fix itself with an update but they had closed my case with no resolve,

all i want to do now is send it back and get my money back but i do believe this is inpossible as my 1 year warrenty has run out

ive had tt with your stupid updates breaking mine and alot of peoples rif/ rifs s' and it is about time you were made accountable for your actions and with your shoddy customer support with ticket replies with unplug replug update drivers reinstall the software crap answers and with also 4 or 5 different people answering the same ticket wh9o dont even bother reading the ticket
    The New HP Reverb G2 images leaked and it looks promising, if it's actually good and worth while I'm ditching Ocutrash for that instead. As you and many others have said, we're tired of being left in the dark, the last update that the Rift S had was all the way back in November in 1.43. V12 which came after that served nothing but to shove Facebook into the software and update the already good 2.1.1 Rift S driver to 2.2.0 which is one of the main culprits of why so many of us have been having issues.
    Art3mis
    bitzie said:
    The New HP Reverb G2 images leaked and it looks promising, if it's actually good and worth while I'm ditching Ocutrash for that instead. As you and many others have said, we're tired of being left in the dark, the last update that the Rift S had was all the way back in November in 1.43. V12 which came after that served nothing but to shove Facebook into the software and update the already good 2.1.1 Rift S driver to 2.2.0 which is one of the main culprits of why so many of us have been having issues.
    I bet that Facebook is actually quite thankful for the whole covid situation because if headsets were actually available right now, they would probably see quite a few people jumping ship due to completely piss-poor Rift S software support. But we're stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. I would love to just order an Index and be done with Oculus completely, but I can't and Facebook knows it. There's basically no reason for them to really spend any time or effort on the Rift S because they know we have no other options right now.

That is a really good point, HP aren't the only ones coming out with their WMR 2.0 headset, other VR youtubers are under NDA and some said it's not with HP. 
    Art3mis
    edited May 2020
    People have legitimate complaints, as far as a mod said in another post, people are allowed to post their content or discontent as long as it is related to Oculus, which it is. Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it should work for everyone else, specially when you claim "I'm sure it is for most", it absolutely no statistics to prove it, while it is a fact many people on here and on reddit post about their issues with it, that's a fact. We love Oculus and want it to be the best it can be, being a corporate slave doesn't improve the product we use, so we critique when need be.

There are many statements and test done ever since v12 that have shown factual evidence that there are issues with some of us, but for you it's all haters, complainers and trolls. "Very hard to get any positive comments or make useful suggestions" yeah it is when they don't address the issues present since v12, many people have proven this to be true, but again for you it works flawlessly so we're all happy and envy you.

edit: literally yesterday and today vr youtubers have expressed how Oculus has seem to abandoned the Rift S and haven't done anything with and for it, but nah, everything is just fine lol.

edit2: guy doesn't even have a Rift S, literally made a post about his issues with it and getting a refund, but wants to call us haters for saying it has issues when he doesn't even have one to test himself, confirmed he tested his CV1 and Quest which are not the same as a Rift S. The irony

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 3,373 Valuable Player
    edited May 2020
    Probably doesn’t help if you live in a country that oculus does not support.  Makes the RMA process almost impossible.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/Index controllers, Quest 1 w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Art3mis
    @TomCgcmfc i find it highly offensive that you call my post a "hater" post when in my recent post i have recreated the fault ive got, explained the fault with an example like in many post i put previously with evidence and even post solutions to get around issues but i am a "hater".

honestly when the rift s was announced it couldnt come soon enough as with it i could sim race again after being hit with diabetic retinopathy which sent me blind in one eye and impaired in the other so i couldnt use a monitor for it no longer.
    now there many different people have stated there issue on here on reddit and elsewhere and there is alot who havent as thry have just returned them to the store, and like me many have put in alot of tickets for the same answer of what i mentioned before for them to release an update that fixes it.

the more annoying thing is it makes you believe that it is your setup thats causing the issue and imo i believe that the guys reading the tickets are just reading off a script at the ticket centre and to also prove that its not my system i have a friend who runs the same setup as me with a valve index has zero issues on the same game in the same server/lobby as me at the same time and zero issues.

now i have sent feedback on this as a ticket seems to do nothing imo lets see if they take notice, just seems funny this is a returning issue from a previous patch that vanised after patxh v15 and returned as soon as v17 was released