cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quest / Go Build 17.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Update 6/8/2020: We're starting to roll a hotfix update out for the Quest & Go v17 software. This hotfix resolves an issue that prevented users from successfully accessing some applications in certain regions. As always, if you encounter any issues with this new update, please open a ticket with Oculus support. Thank you!

Update 6/1/2020
-
The team noticed some confusion around voice dictation and voice commands in these release notes. We have now added separate sections for Voice Dictation and Voice Commands to help differentiate between the two and better clarify the latest updates on each

---

All of these features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of 5/18/20

Guardian

• Guardian can now detect objects in your Roomscale playspace during setup.
    • If an object is detected, Guardian will encourage you to remove the object from your playspace.
    • If you can’t remove the object, Guardian will make you aware of it to help you create a safer playspace.
  • When you glance down at the floor in-VR, you’ll have to option to see the floor bounds for Guardian.
    • To enable this feature, select Settings > Guardian > Glanceable Boundary

Social Reporting

• We’ve made usability improvements to the in-VR reporting flow

Oculus Store

• You can now search for bundles in the Oculus Store.
    • Please note that this change is an experiment that only a percentage of users will see.

Casting/Live Streaming

• You can now toggle the red dot indicator (which indicates you’re casting, recording video, or live streaming) on or off.
  • To do this, go to Settings > Device > Video Capture Indicator.

Hand Tracking

• Hand tracking for Oculus Quest is moving out of the Experimental Features section and into general release. Learn more about hand tracking.

Sharing

• We’ve made it easier to share the photos and videos you capture in-VR to Facebook or Messenger. Now, right after you capture a photo or video you’ll see a large preview of your capture. You can then press the Oculus button to view sharing options.
Voice Dictation
  • Voice Dictation is moving out of the Experimental Features section and into general release.
  • To type faster in VR using speech-to-text dictation, select the microphone icon on the Oculus keyboard.
    • Please note: This feature is currently limited to English speakers in the US.

Voice Commands
  • We’ve made general improvements to the Voice Commands beta feature.
  • Voice Commands can now be used within apps, games, and other immersive experiences.
  • The settings for Voice Commands can be adjusted by selecting Settings > Device > Voice Commands.
    • Please note that this feature is still in beta and may only be available to a percentage of users at this time.

Fixes

• Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the view to freeze upon using the headset for the first time after a long period of inactivity.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the Virtual Environments menu to incorrectly show the “No Internet Connection” error message when selected.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the ‘Free’ button to remain on an app’s store page after previously selecting it rather than showing the download progress.
  • Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the artwork for apps to appear as blank tiles in users’ libraries.
  • Fixed the design of Guardian boundaries during the confirmation step to align with the initial animation.
59 REPLIES 59

AF4L
Protege
My link isn't working for usb 3.0 since the update. It worked before, but now it reads it as usb 2.0. Anyone else?

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Just got v17 on my Quest today.  I'm not currently using Link right now since my Rift cv1 continues to work a bit better than Link so I cannot comment on that.  I'm mainly using it wireless with Virtual Desktop and/or standalone Mobile.  All seems to be working fine.  Also, I have not tried hand tracking yet because it does not appeal to me right now.  Maybe later if I get bored, or some good games start to incorporate it.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, maybe "stupid question" time for me.

V17 finally pushed to me. Download went fine and on restart none of the upgraded option were showing up... not too unusual, I guess. The normal solution is to power down/restart the device (sometimes multiple times). I did this and on the first restart the new glanceable guardian boundary option appeared - works fine. However, I noticed that hand tracking is still an option in Experimental Features - the notes above say it's moving OUT of experimental... so why is it still a toggle option in Experimental? Also, what is the deal with the talk about changing boundary colors. I don't see it in the notes.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I don't think the Guardian colour options are supposed to be in this update, it was just mentioned as a "coming soon" feature in the Oculus blog. I'm still waiting on the update, but I've heard good things about improvements to the new UI (Quick Start showing recently played apps instead of random ones, better Library menu layout).

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

I don't think the Guardian colour options are supposed to be in this update, it was just mentioned as a "coming soon" feature in the Oculus blog.
Thanks.

I'm still trying to figure out why Hand Tracking is showing up only as an option in Experimental. The release notes say it moved out and the link they provide says:

"To turn Hand Tracking on or off:

1. While wearing the headset on your Oculus Quest’s home screen, select Settings (add icon). In the panel to your left, select Devices.
  2. Select Hands and Controllers.
  3. In the Hand Tracking section, use the toggles next to Hand Tracking to turn the feature on or off."
Which doesn't jibe with what I'm seeing. I've reset my device about five times now - it's making me wonder what's going on as in the past it took a reset or two to get everything sorted. Everything else seems to be where it's supposed to be.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
Sometimes feature changes roll out separately from the update, so that could be what's going on. Also, I've found that sometimes a full shutdown followed by a reboot works, while choosing "Restart" from the shutdown menu doesn't always do it, so you could try that and see if it makes a difference.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

KuiMan
Honored Guest
Gooooood news !!!    Happy birthday OCULUS 

Anonymous
Not applicable

nalex66 said:

Sometimes feature changes roll out separately from the update, so that could be what's going on. Also, I've found that sometimes a full shutdown followed by a reboot works, while choosing "Restart" from the shutdown menu doesn't always do it, so you could try that and see if it makes a difference.

Sometimes this *stuff* just doesn't make any sense and doesn't match with the information being put out by Oculus. I've completed the shut off and restart more than few times now and that option is still stuck in Experimental. I've also noticed that I have no option for Voice dictation as noted in the release notes. It's not under devices and not under Experimental. I don't think I've ever had it - just noticed it now because I'm trying to match up the v17 I have to those notes at the top of the page. I'm borderline OCD and this is driving me nuts. lol

Anonymous
Not applicable
So, just had a longish chat with Oculus Support - nice lady, btw. Anyhow, they are "investigating" but the impression I got is that not all features are rolled out at one time with new updates... and some features, like Voice dictation/commands are not rolled out universally at all. Which is VERY annoying if true. Why would you even mention a feature like that when getting it is basically a lottery? "Hey, here is your new car but only select buyers get all four wheels... maybe we will add the missing one next week/month. I know the window sticker says 4 wheels in the description... but hey, it is what it is." - grrrrr

edit: had some time to mess with Link and it appears much less stable than it was previously. I had to unplug it and retry a few times to get past the "black screen of death". Using the right Oculus button would cause it to hang between the pause screen and the Home page - everything gets wavy. Rebooted and that problem seemed to resolve itself but I don't think the OTT tools are currently working either. I'm now seeing no difference between higher encode resolutions and SS. I'm using the official cable and this is the first time I've had any of these issues. It is nice they tried to give some possible support to USB 2.0 users but they didn't need to break it for everybody else. lol

AidenTheGamer70
Honored Guest
in the next update can u fix the bug with black pixels please