cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mcafee doesnt work when i do everything, its not mcafee its oculus

Anonymous
Not applicable
so im trying to get echo VR for my quest link but it says my antivirus is stopping it, so I try to turn of the firewall but it still doesn't want to work.

can someone help me? or oculus can you help me?
8 REPLIES 8

bobarhett13
Explorer
I think something like this is happening to me except it's my Oculus Link.  Cable is green check, I select enable link.  I get three loading dots or a black screen.  It used to work.

Richooal
Consultant

so im trying to get echo VR for my quest link but it says my antivirus is stopping it, so I try to turn of the firewall but it still doesn't want to work.

can someone help me? or oculus can you help me?

If it's saying that your antivirus is stopping it. That means you will need to disable your antivirus, not your firewall. 
Having said that, I don't think anyone should disable antivirus whilst installing something. If an install program is prevented from installing by antivirus software, then it is doing something it shouldn't. The onus should be on the install program to fix the problem.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Digikid1
Consultant
McAfee and Norton are crap.  Pure and simple, overbloated, resource hogging CRAP!

Uninstall it....get an ACTUALLY GOOD anti virus program instead.  ESET is quite good and uses way less resources.

The best site I've found for AV testing is, erm, AV-Test
https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

McAfee has historically been quite poor but seems to have improved a lot over the last few years. I use Norton as it's consistently performed well and less of a performance hog than most.

As far as AV software blocking installs is concerned, I'm never sure where the responsibility lies, on the blocked software's devs to submit details to all the AV companies? on AV companies to test all commonly installed software? or on users to submit reports of false positives. Probably all three.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
I just use windows defender, and windows firewall.  Never had a problem !
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Windows Defender is pretty good. I'm just glad everyone now has anti-malware installed, it should have always been that way.

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Yep windows defender, windows firewall, and malware blocker here and ilI have never had an issue.
But I also do not go to sketchy sites and download torrent files.

To the original poster delete Mcafee its trash.
It is just as bad a bloatware as AOL was.
WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just my 2cents - and from my tech side - its been a pretty poor AV in the past. Both in a good way and in the bad way in that I've seen this product block and stop Windows from working even with legit programs while it might be trying its best to protect everything - it cause a lot of problems as well.