cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Sellinf Rift S Cables?

McNutts
Adventurer
Do they sell them anyplace other than Amazon for $100+ and eBay for roughly the same price?

I thought Oculus sold them.
Ryzen 7 5800X | 3090FE | 32GB@3600MHz | Rift S | 128GB Quest1 | 256GB Quest2 | 64GB Go | PSVR | Index
20 REPLIES 20

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer

snowdog said:

Oculus have never sold replacement cables for the Rift S as far as I'm aware.

Yes they did.

They started selling the cable late November last year. I think it was after a UserVoice vote proved popular. Not sure when they stopped but it seems to have been a temp thing.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes at one time they had replacement cables in stock for the Rift S.
Wishing I had grabbed one now to have as a spare. 
I try to take good care of mine but one never knows. Got my Quest with Link as backup though just in case.

They always used to send out new cables (and faceplates) when sending out replacement Rifts, regardless of the problem the RMA'd headset had, that's probably still the case. Maybe they've just decided that's more important if supplies are restricted.

McNutts
Adventurer
I talked to one of the customer service agents and they said that they don't sell them at this time, which I already knew. The person did say that they will be selling them in the future so that gives me some hope. I think that the most logical explanation for this is that because of the virus, and the supply chain issues it's causing, they are keeping the ones they have for warranty replacements. Just like someone said earlier.

What a lot of people don't realize is that passenger planes carry a lot of cargo that isn't just people and their checked baggage. Currently flights are down over 90% which means the movement of goods using passenger planes is down over 90% too. Boats take forever to bring things to the US and couple that with the flights being down and we have a situation where the cable is harder to get a hold of.

I was debating if I was going to return my Rift S or not and I'm leaning towards keeping it right now. But who knows, when June 15th rolls around I could panic and return the Rift S just because I can't get a replacement cable right now. 
Ryzen 7 5800X | 3090FE | 32GB@3600MHz | Rift S | 128GB Quest1 | 256GB Quest2 | 64GB Go | PSVR | Index

kojack
MVP
MVP
You can't buy an Index cable either, I guess it's been abandoned too. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
Didn't realise they had started selling them! I would have bought one if I had known, although the Rift S cable is a LOT better than the OG Rift one. Much thicker so it doesn't curl up like the Rift one did.

My OG Rift cable has holes in it with the wires showing through ?

I think a number of people bought them to have a spare, that was a reason a lot of the people voting on UserVoice gave for having them available. When supplies improve, it could well go back on sale. It's important to have them available for warranty returns above all else.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
At the moment the Rift S is only a year old, so everyone in the EU/UK are covered for a 2 year manufactor warrenty, same with the Valve index, so no one over here really needs to buy a spare at this time, BUT, next year when these things are out of warrenty that is when the fun and games might start if neither have replacement cables for sale.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

They always used to send out new cables (and faceplates) when sending out replacement Rifts, regardless of the problem the RMA'd headset had, that's probably still the case. Maybe they've just decided that's more important if supplies are restricted.

Ya, when I RMA'd my Rift cv1 +1 years ago because of a bad audio ribbon Oculus told me to just ship back the headset period (and even sent me a free return label).  When I got it back, although it was refurbished, it looked like new.  Def had new faceplate foam and it also came back with a nice new cable.  I'm still using that cable and it is nice to have my old one, which still worked fine, as a spare.

Audio is still working great because I did the electrical tape fix on its left side to avoid overworking the audio ribbon.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers