cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Im having THREE issues with my Rift S.

Mitsuhaa
Explorer
Issue number one, has been happening since i first got my Rift S but i've gotten used to it over time, everytime i power on my pc, it says either 'USB connection not working' or 'No displayport connection' i can fix this by unplugging it and replugging it back in but then if i restart my pc i have to unplug and replug AGAIN.

Issue number two, after an hour or two, (maybe even 30m sometimes) The world starts to move around me then the screen goes black, Oculus says 'No displayport connection' im like "oh okay just unplug, replug, same old issue, But no, even after doing that it DOESNT work and the screen continues to stay black even after a restart of oculus software! Im forced to restart my PC, and like mentioned in issue one, this means i have to unplug replug. this issue started happening yesterday, 21/05/2020 [UK date]

[EDIT] THREE ISSUES, the third one i forgot about 

Issue number three, If i take of the headset, leave it off for 5m while i get a drink or something it tells me to set up guardian AGAIN. I've had to set up guardian like 30 + times since i got my Rift S

The amount of issues with this VR headset is unreal.
12 REPLIES 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Its a very common problem. Search the forum and there are about 3 or 4 posts like this a day. Don't worry, Oculus is on it though. Been working on a fix for about 10 months now so I'm sure it will resolved by the time the Rift S is discontinued.

Mitsuhaa
Explorer
 adam.poole.313 said:

Its a very common problem. Search the forum and there are about 3 or 4 posts like this a day. Don't worry, Oculus is on it though. Been working on a fix for about 10 months now so I'm sure it will resolved by the time the Rift S is discontinued.

Which issue?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Mitsuhaa said:

Which issue?

I believe your first and second issues are one in the same, and that is what I was referring to.

Your third issue wasn't there when I replied. You must have been editing while I was typing. The guardian issue is an old one as well but it has come and gone with different driver releases. I had that for a while and an update seemingly fixed it, and I haven't seen it since. Some have reported that they have this problem if they do not keep the controllers within a relatively close distance from headset when they remove it. I don't see that issue reported that often anymore though. Sorry I don't know of any other known workaround except to opt in or out of the PTC to try a different driver variant.

You should absolutely open up a support ticket on all of these issues.They will explain how to generate logs for them. They surely have more than enough reports and logs on these issues but the more people that complain about an issue the better.

Mitsuhaa
Explorer

Mitsuhaa said:

Which issue?

I believe your first and second issues are one in the same, and that is what I was referring to.

Your third issue wasn't there when I replied. You must have been editing while I was typing. The guardian issue is an old one as well but it has come and gone with different driver releases. I had that for a while and an update seemingly fixed it, and I haven't seen it since. Some have reported that they have this problem if they do not keep the controllers within a relatively close distance from headset when they remove it. I don't see that issue reported that often anymore though. Sorry I don't know of any other known workaround except to opt in or out of the PTC to try a different driver variant.

You should absolutely open up a support ticket on all of these issues.They will explain how to generate logs for them. They surely have more than enough reports and logs on these issues but the more people that complain about an issue the better.

I’ve opened a support ticket now it’s just the fact of waiting, I’m just seriously annoyed because I can’t play for an hour without getting disconnected, it’s ridiculous, and judging by the fact that many people are saying the support is bad that probably won’t fix anything, If that doesn’t work I’m just gonna send it back, lucky I kept the box.

Im just gonna have to put faith in the fact that they MIGHT help resolve the issue. 

KNP54
Heroic Explorer
For issue number three, check if the room you're in has reflective surfaces like mirrors and such. If so, cover them and test again. Also when you turn on the rift, try to always have the same lighting condition. Basically, when you put on the Rift, the cameras scans the room and checks for a keypoint pattern in 3D space. If that pattern changed too much, the Rift thinks you've changed room and asks you to set up the guardian again. Another thing that might help is if your room doesn't have a lot of furniture in it and the walls are a single color, the cameras will have trouble finding keypoints: Hanging pictures on the walls will help the Rift find more keypoints!
Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Deepcool Castle EX 360, 32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600MHz, Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, Asus ROG Strix 3080ti, Corsair HX1000, Western Digital SN850 M.2 NVMe 2TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB & 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Corsair 4000D Airflow, Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 @ 100Hz, Acer V287K 3840x2160@ 60Hz, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest 2 256GB.

KNP54
Heroic Explorer

For example, this playspace: while it's nice and clutter free, the cameras are going to have a hard time locking on anything! Tracking is going to be horrible for the Rift S and Quest! Just by adding a couple of movie posters on the walls will greatly improve tracking. Also the floor mat is too uniform, I would replace a couple of random tiles with a lighter or darker shade. (Random color tiles would look too much like a kid's playroom! lol)
Specs: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Deepcool Castle EX 360, 32GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600MHz, Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, Asus ROG Strix 3080ti, Corsair HX1000, Western Digital SN850 M.2 NVMe 2TB, Samgung 850 EVO 500GB & 840 EVO 500GB in raid0, Seagate Ironwolf 10TB, Corsair 4000D Airflow, Acer Predator X34 3440x1440 @ 100Hz, Acer V287K 3840x2160@ 60Hz, Oculus Rift S, Oculus Quest 2 256GB.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

KNP54 said:

For example, this playspace: while it's nice and clutter free, the cameras are going to have a hard time locking on anything! Tracking is going to be horrible for the Rift S and Quest! 

Get CV1 or Index, and you're in Nirvana, Shangri-la or whatever  😄

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Mitsuhaa
Explorer

KNP54 said:

For issue number three, check if the room you're in has reflective surfaces like mirrors and such. If so, cover them and test again. Also when you turn on the rift, try to always have the same lighting condition. Basically, when you put on the Rift, the cameras scans the room and checks for a keypoint pattern in 3D space. If that pattern changed too much, the Rift thinks you've changed room and asks you to set up the guardian again. Another thing that might help is if your room doesn't have a lot of furniture in it and the walls are a single color, the cameras will have trouble finding keypoints: Hanging pictures on the walls will help the Rift find more keypoints!

I have quite a lot of key points I believe, I have key points in every direction of the room, forward is my desk, left I have some pictures, right I have my drawers and behind me there’s my bed. There is a mirror on my PC case though so I think that might be what’s causing the problem, thanks for your reply, I’m honestly extremely frustrated because I’ve had quite a lot of issues with this headset

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer

KNP54 said:

For example, this playspace: while it's nice and clutter free, the cameras are going to have a hard time locking on anything! Tracking is going to be horrible for the Rift S and Quest! Just by adding a couple of movie posters on the walls will greatly improve tracking. Also the floor mat is too uniform, I would replace a couple of random tiles with a lighter or darker shade. (Random color tiles would look too much like a kid's playroom! lol)

Who would've thought that such an empty room would look so beautiful lol