cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why not to buy the Oculus Rift S

Gerrah
Honored Guest
So I have had my Rift S since the fall of 2019 and have come to one conclusion. I should have just bought the Valve Index in the first place.
For $400 it seemed like a good deal for an intro-level headset and seemed to be a good one at that. Wrong. I can't stand to play with this thing anymore. As a player I love action games which isn't good for the Rift S. Anytime I play a game with significant vibrations the controllers completely loose their tracking for a few seconds and I am stuck with my virtual fists across the map on the floor while I get cut up by my enemies because I can't block them. Second, I will be in the middle of a game with my buddies when all of a sudden my hands are frozen in place and I end up having to restart everything. Third, gotta love that Oculus Software with it constantly telling me  I need to update my software for my headset time after time after time. I swear I have restarted the headset 30 times in one sitting just because it kept saying I needed to. Low and behold I just needed to unplug and plug it back in. First world problems, I know. Honestly though, you get tired of trying to play your favorite games only to discover that the headset is your real enemy.

And yes to the Oculus Support team, I have done all your troubleshooting "tips" and it does nothing. The headset makes games that would run smoothly on any other headset completely unplayable. Now I am stuck with a $400 headset collecting dust in my closet while I wait on my Index to come.

My advice to potential Rift S buyers, don't do it. It is not worth it and the constant loss of tracking is unbearable. 

And to the keyboard warriors who will blame my system hardware. I have a AMD RX 5700 and a Ryzen 7 2700.
25 REPLIES 25

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@CallMeJay360 just another rant, what a surprise, lol!  Seeing multiple, similar rants on Reddit where a large portion of these are trolling little kids and/or brand x fanboys does not add much to your argument imho. 

Of course there are always going to some issues that need to be resolved.  I also have had a few but I have always found a workaround and generally most of these get resolved in due course.  Sometimes these are a bit of a pita but it has never completely shutdown my ability to use my headset. 

Honestly, similar issues occur with all VR headsets from time to time.  But heh, if you and a few others think the grass is greener elsewhere then you should consider going there. 

Alternatively you can do what I did and run a dual PCVR headset setup.  I'm currently running a Rift cv1 and Vive Pro setup and this works very well for me.  Thanks to the Vive Pro Link Box on/off switch and OTT's switching options, it is very easy to switch headsets.  It's nice to be able to use the best headset for the job and also nice to have a backup in case any major issues crops up, and/or you have a hardware problem.

You seem to think that anyone that has anything positive to say about Oculus is simply biased.  Pretty narrow little view of the world imho.  As you are well aware, most persons with positive comments do not bother to post or comment on obvious rant posts.  For the most part I'm also one of these people but sometimes myself and a few others like @dburne will give counter views, esp. if there is enough info to make a few constructive comments.

As far as I can see the original poster @Gerrah has gotten enough replies on his query and  nowit's up to him/her to decide where he/she goes from here (hopefully more research).  Debating with a ranter has never been my cup of tea so I will now bow out of this thread.  Up to mods whether or not they feel it is worth closing this thread.  Not my call.  Cheers.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer
Nobody is ranting, just stating fact LOL  "Of course there are always going to be some issues that need to be resolved", the 2 things they've fixed on the Rift S have been the tracking way back on release and apparently the BSoD in v17. Stuttering, virtual desktop screens graying out, audio turning robotic, etc. it's been almost a year, where are those fixes? You seem to assume I that I have something against people being positive about Oculus, my friend, I've been recommending Oculus since I got my CV1 way back when and I still kept recommending the Rift S and argue as to why it's the best budget VR out there until I started to see issues show up and be ignored, the problem isn't being being positive about oculus, the problem is people small talking saying how their stuff works, when that's cool, but that doesn't change the fact many others are having issues due to their lack of polish of updates (if anything the BSoD in v17 should be enough to confirm that), so although you and that other person are 100% fine with the Rift S and think it runs flawlessly, it doesn't change the fact it's not like that for everyone. 

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer
If anything, you seem to think that anyone that brings up obvious flaws about Oculus is automatically a troll, doing rants, one hit post huh? How ironic Lmao. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

Only a very vocal minority cannot actually use their Rift headsets imho.  You pretty well see the same few people posting and reposting rants far too often.  Also very often questionable rants from one post wonders, lol!

My view is that Rift headsets (S and cv1) are very good PCVR headsets.  Are the perfect and idiot proof?  No.  Jump to any other headset user forum and you will see similar issues.  Same goes for SteamVR forums.  There you often see a large mix of headset rants.

Yep agreed, never had a problem with my CV1 and never had a problem with my Rift S, which I have been using hard - daily, since getting it around a year ago. Works every time beautifully. Hope it continues.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

Umpa_PC said:

Gerrah said:
And to the keyboard warriors who will blame my system hardware. I have a AMD RX 5700 and a Ryzen 7 2700.

And that means nothing ! 
FWIW mine runs fine, and I even post my full PC specs too ::smiley:
Enjoy your Index, and you should have no problems selling the Rift S

Fact is it has issues and if you can't notice them, or "don't have them" the thread is not for users like you, so why post?

Because the balance needs addressing.  Fact is it has issues for some, not all - and many of the people who do have issues hit the forum and many don't even want help - they just want to moan.  Like you - I mean why bother ?

Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

TomCgcmfc said:

Only a very vocal minority cannot actually use their Rift headsets imho.  You pretty well see the same few people posting and reposting rants far too often.  Also very often questionable rants from one post wonders, lol!

My view is that Rift headsets (S and cv1) are very good PCVR headsets.  Are the perfect and idiot proof?  No.  Jump to any other headset user forum and you will see similar issues.  Same goes for SteamVR forums.  There you often see a large mix of headset rants.

Totally agree with you.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.