cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Software Build 17.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Update 5/15/2020: Hey everyone - thanks again for your patience during this rollout. The team just pushed out an update to those of you who have already received the v17 software update. This new build should resolve the blue screen crashes that some of you have reported. We have also pushed this same update to the PTC channel to those of you who have hit this issue on PTC but have not yet received the live version. Please do continue to let us know if you experience any problems with this new update using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software and by contacting customer support. Thank you!

---

Social Reporting

• We’ve made usability improvements to the in-VR reporting flow

Oculus Link

• You can now control audio and mic settings for Oculus Link directly from your Quest.
  • During setup, the Oculus desktop app will now let you know if your USB cable meets the standards required to power Link.
  • General stability improvements

Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where some Rift users would join a party and couldn’t be heard by other party members. 
153 REPLIES 153

Anonymous
Not applicable
Doc_62 if you are referring to the driver then yes. They used to update drivers for each headset independently and it worked great. Some months ago they consolidated every headset into a single driver. Now when a new driver is released every headset (Rift, Rift S, Quest) installs it even if it doesn't change anything for that particular headset brand.  Firmware is still separate though. Once you install the new driver it will prompt you to install new firmware only if one was released for your headset brand. Hope that makes sense.

JohnClark1963
Honored Guest
I fix it!

dhrto
Expert Protege
Please enlighten us then 😉

morphee7
Expert Protege
ok for months it was working without issues on the v16 after i had to
turn on ASW @ 45fps (40 on rift s) then they release this v17 and it
goes to s*** again, last time i used it after about 45 mins the visual
side went to a sort of locked position and i could look left and right
slightly only. it was like i was using my old samsung galaxy S8 with
that samsung gear that came with it, i have just come off it again and
same again 45 - 50 mins later and as i was still racing the view was
very slowly moving itself to the left,

now when i ended i restart the oculus software through the beta tab and when it came back it said my headset was not working and try plugging it into another usb port, so i take it out and plug it into the very next usb 3 port next to it and it works again now before after many many many many tickets for various issues they asked me to return it and as i was in shielding i coulfnt get out to do so so they said ok do it when i can but then it seem to fix itself with an update but they had closed my case with no resolve,

all i want to do now is send it back and get my money back but i do believe this is inpossible as my 1 year warrenty has run out

ive had tt with your stupid updates breaking mine and alot of peoples rif/ rifs s' and it is about time you were made accountable for your actions and with your shoddy customer support with ticket replies with unplug replug update drivers reinstall the software crap answers and with also 4 or 5 different people answering the same ticket wh9o dont even bother reading the ticket

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer

morphee7 said:

ok for months it was working without issues on the v16 after i had to
turn on ASW @ 45fps (40 on rift s) then they release this v17 and it
goes to s*** again, last time i used it after about 45 mins the visual
side went to a sort of locked position and i could look left and right
slightly only. it was like i was using my old samsung galaxy S8 with
that samsung gear that came with it, i have just come off it again and
same again 45 - 50 mins later and as i was still racing the view was
very slowly moving itself to the left,

now when i ended i restart the oculus software through the beta tab and when it came back it said my headset was not working and try plugging it into another usb port, so i take it out and plug it into the very next usb 3 port next to it and it works again now before after many many many many tickets for various issues they asked me to return it and as i was in shielding i coulfnt get out to do so so they said ok do it when i can but then it seem to fix itself with an update but they had closed my case with no resolve,

all i want to do now is send it back and get my money back but i do believe this is inpossible as my 1 year warrenty has run out

ive had tt with your stupid updates breaking mine and alot of peoples rif/ rifs s' and it is about time you were made accountable for your actions and with your shoddy customer support with ticket replies with unplug replug update drivers reinstall the software crap answers and with also 4 or 5 different people answering the same ticket wh9o dont even bother reading the ticket

The New HP Reverb G2 images leaked and it looks promising, if it's actually good and worth while I'm ditching Ocutrash for that instead. As you and many others have said, we're tired of being left in the dark, the last update that the Rift S had was all the way back in November in 1.43. V12 which came after that served nothing but to shove Facebook into the software and update the already good 2.1.1 Rift S driver to 2.2.0 which is one of the main culprits of why so many of us have been having issues.

bitzie
Expert Protege

The New HP Reverb G2 images leaked and it looks promising, if it's actually good and worth while I'm ditching Ocutrash for that instead. As you and many others have said, we're tired of being left in the dark, the last update that the Rift S had was all the way back in November in 1.43. V12 which came after that served nothing but to shove Facebook into the software and update the already good 2.1.1 Rift S driver to 2.2.0 which is one of the main culprits of why so many of us have been having issues.

I bet that Facebook is actually quite thankful for the whole covid situation because if headsets were actually available right now, they would probably see quite a few people jumping ship due to completely piss-poor Rift S software support. But we're stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. I would love to just order an Index and be done with Oculus completely, but I can't and Facebook knows it. There's basically no reason for them to really spend any time or effort on the Rift S because they know we have no other options right now.

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer

bitzie said:

I bet that Facebook is actually quite thankful for the whole covid situation because if headsets were actually available right now, they would probably see quite a few people jumping ship due to completely piss-poor Rift S software support. But we're stuck between a rock and a hard place right now. I would love to just order an Index and be done with Oculus completely, but I can't and Facebook knows it. There's basically no reason for them to really spend any time or effort on the Rift S because they know we have no other options right now.

That is a really good point, HP aren't the only ones coming out with their WMR 2.0 headset, other VR youtubers are under NDA and some said it's not with HP. 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
More useless drivel from professional complainers, lol!

I think it would be much better if these people directed these to oculus support rather than continue to pollute this and many other threads.  Maybe they should just start and post to a new ‘Oculus Haters Club’ thread.

V17 continues to work fine with my Rift cv1 as I’m sure it is for most.  Otherwise I’m sure Oculus would have rolled it back by now.  The equivalent v17 is also working fine with my Quest.

Very hard to get any positive comments or make any useful suggestions because of a few repeat complainers imho.  

Mods are pretty tolerant but we have occasionally seen people banned from this forum for similar bad forum behavior.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer
People have legitimate complaints, as far as a mod said in another post, people are allowed to post their content or discontent as long as it is related to Oculus, which it is. Just because it works for you, doesn't mean it should work for everyone else, specially when you claim "I'm sure it is for most", it absolutely no statistics to prove it, while it is a fact many people on here and on reddit post about their issues with it, that's a fact. We love Oculus and want it to be the best it can be, being a corporate slave doesn't improve the product we use, so we critique when need be.

There are many statements and test done ever since v12 that have shown factual evidence that there are issues with some of us, but for you it's all haters, complainers and trolls. "Very hard to get any positive comments or make useful suggestions" yeah it is when they don't address the issues present since v12, many people have proven this to be true, but again for you it works flawlessly so we're all happy and envy you.

edit: literally yesterday and today vr youtubers have expressed how Oculus has seem to abandoned the Rift S and haven't done anything with and for it, but nah, everything is just fine lol.

edit2: guy doesn't even have a Rift S, literally made a post about his issues with it and getting a refund, but wants to call us haters for saying it has issues when he doesn't even have one to test himself, confirmed he tested his CV1 and Quest which are not the same as a Rift S. The irony

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Probably doesn’t help if you live in a country that oculus does not support.  Makes the RMA process almost impossible.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers