cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Software Build 17.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Update 5/15/2020: Hey everyone - thanks again for your patience during this rollout. The team just pushed out an update to those of you who have already received the v17 software update. This new build should resolve the blue screen crashes that some of you have reported. We have also pushed this same update to the PTC channel to those of you who have hit this issue on PTC but have not yet received the live version. Please do continue to let us know if you experience any problems with this new update using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software and by contacting customer support. Thank you!

---

Social Reporting

• We’ve made usability improvements to the in-VR reporting flow

Oculus Link

• You can now control audio and mic settings for Oculus Link directly from your Quest.
  • During setup, the Oculus desktop app will now let you know if your USB cable meets the standards required to power Link.
  • General stability improvements

Fixes
  • Fixed an issue where some Rift users would join a party and couldn’t be heard by other party members. 
153 REPLIES 153

morphee7
Expert Protege
@TomCgcmfc i find it highly offensive that you call my post a "hater" post when in my recent post i have recreated the fault ive got, explained the fault with an example like in many post i put previously with evidence and even post solutions to get around issues but i am a "hater".

honestly when the rift s was announced it couldnt come soon enough as with it i could sim race again after being hit with diabetic retinopathy which sent me blind in one eye and impaired in the other so i couldnt use a monitor for it no longer.
now there many different people have stated there issue on here on reddit and elsewhere and there is alot who havent as thry have just returned them to the store, and like me many have put in alot of tickets for the same answer of what i mentioned before for them to release an update that fixes it.

the more annoying thing is it makes you believe that it is your setup thats causing the issue and imo i believe that the guys reading the tickets are just reading off a script at the ticket centre and to also prove that its not my system i have a friend who runs the same setup as me with a valve index has zero issues on the same game in the same server/lobby as me at the same time and zero issues.

now i have sent feedback on this as a ticket seems to do nothing imo lets see if they take notice, just seems funny this is a returning issue from a previous patch that vanised after patxh v15 and returned as soon as v17 was released

Anonymous
Not applicable

TomCgcmfc said:

More useless drivel from professional complainers, lol!

V17 continues to work fine with my Rift cv1 as I’m sure it is for most.  Otherwise I’m sure Oculus would have rolled it back by now.  The equivalent v17 is also working fine with my Quest.

I got news for you TomCgcmfc, your Rift isn't working flawlessly your powered USB card is. There is nothing wrong with your mobo (I have the same one) and its perfectly compliant with USB 3.0 standards (I've tested it) but I bet if you try to plug your headset into it you will get problems that come, go, get worse, or crash the HMD altogether depending on what the latest driver does.  That's a problem. Investing in 3rd party hardware might avoid the problem with the Oculus driver but it does not eliminate it...and Oculus has admitted that it IS A PROBLEM WITH THEIR DRIVER/FIRMWARE that they are working on.The average person wanting to buy an Oculus HMD is going to check their hardware and confirm that it meets the HMD min standards. If the HMD then doesn't work it is not reasonable to tell them there's nothing wrong with the hardware/software and to stop complaining because they can just go out and buy another manufacturer's device to see if maybe that fixes it. There is a problem with their driver/firmware and this is exactly the place for people to complain when they encounter it.

Perhaps the people complaining would do so less if they had something to occupy their time, but they don't because Oculus released a new driver their damn Rift won't turn on again.

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer
Exactly "lol!", let people with legitimate complaints about the products we ACTUALLY have, complain about it so that they can get fixed, if you don't have a Rift S as you posted about being unhappy with it and even after the issues before 1.43 were fixed you still didn't think it is worth getting over the Rift CV1, then don't tell us Rift S users we are troll, or complainers just because your CV1 or Quest work, they're not the same as a Rift S, they don't work the same. 

Thank you! :smile:

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer

morphee7 said:

@TomCgcmfc i find it highly offensive that you call my post a "hater" post when in my recent post i have recreated the fault ive got, explained the fault with an example like in many post i put previously with evidence and even post solutions to get around issues but i am a "hater".

honestly when the rift s was announced it couldnt come soon enough as with it i could sim race again after being hit with diabetic retinopathy which sent me blind in one eye and impaired in the other so i couldnt use a monitor for it no longer.
now there many different people have stated there issue on here on reddit and elsewhere and there is alot who havent as thry have just returned them to the store, and like me many have put in alot of tickets for the same answer of what i mentioned before for them to release an update that fixes it.

the more annoying thing is it makes you believe that it is your setup thats causing the issue and imo i believe that the guys reading the tickets are just reading off a script at the ticket centre and to also prove that its not my system i have a friend who runs the same setup as me with a valve index has zero issues on the same game in the same server/lobby as me at the same time and zero issues.

now i have sent feedback on this as a ticket seems to do nothing imo lets see if they take notice, just seems funny this is a returning issue from a previous patch that vanised after patxh v15 and returned as soon as v17 was released

He doesn't even have a Rift S, but calls us haters (and in other post trolls too which is so ironic lol), he's just an Oculus fanboy and I admit I am too, If I get a dollar for every time I recommended the Rift S to someone on stream, in vr chat or discord, I'd be rich, but the fact is (And even Youtubers notice this and have tweeted about it) is that us Rift S users have been abandoned for a very long time.

But the guy who doesn't have a Rift S is going to tell us that it should work because his CV1 works well and we're trolls.

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer
I'll just wait for v18 and hope they address the Rift S, please Oculus. 

Cheers Heart

bitzie
Expert Protege

TomCgcmfc said:

V17 continues to work fine with my Rift cv1 as I’m sure it is for most.  Otherwise I’m sure Oculus would have rolled it back by now.  The equivalent v17 is also working fine with my Quest.

Hahahaha! People have been complaining and submitting tickets about poor performance since V12. People have posted numerous times requesting the ability to rollback software to a version that works. Oculus doesn't care. They already have our money. Are there many people with no problems? Yes, of course. But that definitely does not mean that everyone else are just "professional complainers."

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

morphee7 said:

He doesn't even have a Rift S, but calls us haters (and in other post trolls too which is so ironic lol), he's just an Oculus fanboy and I admit I am too, If I get a dollar for every time I recommended the Rift S to someone on stream, in vr chat or discord, I'd be rich, but the fact is (And even Youtubers notice this and have tweeted about it) is that us Rift S users have been abandoned for a very long time.

But the guy who doesn't have a Rift S is going to tell us that it should work because his CV1 works well and we're trolls.

I have a good local buddy with a Rift S (that I recommended to him and helped setup).  He has just about an identical PC as mine and he is not having any v17 issues.  Also, there have been a few Rift S users like @dburne who have posted the same with Rift S.  Pretty hard to find now thanks to all your rants.

Anyway, as I've said before to you, I will not debate with ranters.  Please do not expect any further replies to any of your posts.  I'm sure that will break your heart, lol! 
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Kareshi
Heroic Explorer
But you said yourself many others also don't have issues and theirs work flawlessly, yet you can only mention 2 people, hmmmmm... it's good you came to your sense of not replying back to a conversation that wasn't going your way. 

As a moderator said before, people can post anything they want, as long as it is VR/Oculus related, so let us post our legitimate concerns and stop calling us names like trolls, or ranters, that's pretty bad forum behavior against users with legitimate issues and I don't appreciate it, I'm sure others like @"adam.poole.313" , @bitzie and @morphee7 agree with me too!

Erkkipenapetter
Explorer

Thank you for once again taking a dump on your PC user base and
instead trying to shove the quest down our throats. You have once again
proven you do not care at all about your PC RIFT-S user base at all. I
am already looking to sell my rift-s because with every update, some new
problem arises and I can't use it. I have to spend hours just to try
and fix it, just isn't worth it. I should have kept the damn cv1, cause
at least it worked.

Don't worry, the CV1 is not any better. :smile: Once again completely unusable after this latest patch.

If FB doesn't want to support its old users, maybe they shouldn't keep rolling out system-breaking updates either.

RattyUK
Trustee

But you said yourself many others also don't have issues and theirs work flawlessly, yet you can only mention 2 people, hmmmmm... it's good you came to your sense of not replying back to a conversation that wasn't going your way. 

As a moderator said before, people can post anything they want, as long as it is VR/Oculus related, so let us post our legitimate concerns and stop calling us names like trolls, or ranters, that's pretty bad forum behavior against users with legitimate issues and I don't appreciate it, I'm sure others like @"adam.poole.313" , @bitzie and @morphee7 agree with me too!

Mine has worked flawlessly (Rift S) since they got rid of the 'random snow' issue - and the petty 'multiple right controllers (I had 24 once!) issue'.
I've been on PTC solely since buying the original rift and have been on 3 different desktop hardware configurations  - none with an add-on USB card. (My laptop has only had 1 update, which was 'fixed' the next day I seem to recall, which caused the Rift S to not recognise the DP - that has been fine otherwise)
Others have issues, undoubtedly, but not everyone - folk are quick to bleat but reluctant to praise, if the issue was 'massive' there would be more than the few currently complaining airing their sorrows.
No denying you have an issue with your hardware, exactly as others do not.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3