New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is this normal? (Glare) (Oculus quest)

2»

Comments

• Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 812
    Trinity
    edited February 21
    greninga said:
    Umpa_PC said:
    The problem is exacerbated, due to the fact there are no brightness/gamma controls.  FWIW I also have the same issue, brand new out of box - wear no glasses - immediately noticed it. Rift S much better display.  
    I guess the quest costs more to make, but could not sell for much more - they had to cut the cost some how - fitted shit lenses.
    I can change the brightness on oculus quest.but didnt help.
    For me it did I had to turn it all the way down mind.  I personally think the brightness is too bright on the quest.  We probably have installed the same settings program ?  Mine is from side-quest.  There is a lot of crap on that program, I can see why many did not make it in the 'O' store, but the screen brightness setting, is a god send for me.  Quest has really poor optics when compared to the RiftS. 

If your not happy, you should return it because there are no user serviceable parts, & lenses are glued in.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • greningagreninga Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Umpa_PC said:
    greninga said:
    Umpa_PC said:
    The problem is exacerbated, due to the fact there are no brightness/gamma controls.  FWIW I also have the same issue, brand new out of box - wear no glasses - immediately noticed it. Rift S much better display.  
    I guess the quest costs more to make, but could not sell for much more - they had to cut the cost some how - fitted shit lenses.
    I can change the brightness on oculus quest.but didnt help.
    For me it did I had to turn it all the way down mind.  I personally think the brightness is too bright on the quest.  We probably have installed the same settings program ?  Mine is from side-quest.  There is a lot of crap on that program, I can see why many did not make it in the 'O' store, but the screen brightness setting, is a god send for me.  Quest has really poor optics when compared to the RiftS. 

If your not happy, you should return it because there are no user serviceable parts, & lenses are glued in.
    I am sad cause out  there many quest works good with no that white reflection in the center.mine after 2 days of use I see that reflection.i use settings from appstarter tv programm. The problem is,if I send it at oculus service they will say that is normal or they send me new? Cause my seller told me that need 1 month for that service. ( I am live at greece and oculus doesnt support greece.so my seller need send it at europe to his general seller..
    Trinity
    I don't know what appstarter tv programm is.  All I can tell you is that my device does it too, but its much better now I turn the brightness down.   Remember China is on lockdown so it might be months before you get a new device.  Have you contacted support, and talked to them ?  There is little anyone on here can do for you, I have told you how I have made mine better, 
    Good luck with what ever you decide to do.
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
  • BoldarokBoldarok Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I think this problem is definitely reflection of the light areas off your eyes and back onto the lenses, must be poor lense design, maybe some anti-glare coating like is used on eye glasses and binocular lenses would help.
  • bryan.coisnebryan.coisne Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I've just noticed this too using my Quest for the second time and it's something to do with the tracking. When you double tap the headset to turn on the cameras you can clearly see this "light" in the centre of your vision and if you move your head around it follows.
    I can clearly see this while playing, watching vids, browsing the store, etc.... It's very distracting and for me it actually renders this unusable/unplayable. I can't enjoy the experience with this white light behind everything.
    Trinity
    I've just noticed this too using my Quest for the second time and it's something to do with the tracking. When you double tap the headset to turn on the cameras you can clearly see this "light" in the centre of your vision and if you move your head around it follows.
    I can clearly see this while playing, watching vids, browsing the store, etc.... It's very distracting and for me it actually renders this unusable/unplayable. I can't enjoy the experience with this white light behind everything.
    My glare has nothing to do with tracking, and everything to do with the quality of the lenses.
  • synthkidsynthkid Posts: 17
    Brain Burst
    Mines being returned for a replacement for this very thing.
    Trinity
    synthkid said:
    Mines being returned for a replacement for this very thing.
    I thought about it, but its not that bad, and is only apparent with bright text on black, like the O logo on startup and title screens, when in game i don't notice it.
    Trinity
    Just to add, my Sons quest arrived and we compared.  His is exactly the same as mine.  So I can confirm it is how it is.  If you send it back more than likely the replacement will be the same.
  • KentobiKentobi Posts: 169
    Art3mis
    I think what you’re talking about is the god ray effect produced by the fresnel lenses in the headset. https://3dinsider.com/vr-lenses/

Fresnel lenses allow for the lenses to be much thinner and lighter, but they do produce a fuzz or glow. Honestly, I don’t see it anymore unless I focus on it. It is a bit jarring at first, but I do think you’ll notice it less over time. 
    Trinity
    Kentobi said:
    I think what you’re talking about is the god ray effect produced by the fresnel lenses in the headset. https://3dinsider.com/vr-lenses/

Fresnel lenses allow for the lenses to be much thinner and lighter, but they do produce a fuzz or glow. Honestly, I don’t see it anymore unless I focus on it. It is a bit jarring at first, but I do think you’ll notice it less over time. 
    Fresnel lenses can produce what is known as chromatic aberration and god rays.  All fresnel lenses produce the former, but the quest produces Both.  FWIW the rift s produces much less chromatic aberration and no god rays at all.
  • BlackSpectrum06BlackSpectrum06 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    this happens on mine too, I think its normal
  • Rosto79Rosto79 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Mine has it too.. Also it seems like reflections from my eye back onto the lens. I got some plano lens inserts which reduces this somewhat.. 
  • McNuttsMcNutts Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Rosto79 said:
    Mine has it too.. Also it seems like reflections from my eye back onto the lens. I got some plano lens inserts which reduces this somewhat.. 
    Your Plano lenses reduced reflections? I'm really surprised because you're the first person I have heard say that they reduced reflections. I got the Plano lenses from Widmo VR and while reflections are not that bad the Plano lenses increased reflections compared to just the stock lenses. Did you get your Plano lenses treated with some type of anti-reflection coating?
    Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x @ 4.5GHz all cores | Noctua NH-D15S with 2 Fans | GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ULTRA |  32GB [email protected] | EVGA 2080 Super XC Ultra | OS(Win 10 Pro) - 250GB NVMe WD Black | Games - 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda | Case - NZXT H510i | PSU - CORSAIR RMx Series 850W Gold |
    Plex Server: [email protected] | 16GB | 250GB SSD | 2x4TB WD Black HDs | EVGA 980 ti
    VR Headsets: Rift S | 128GB Quest | 64GB Go | PSVR | Valve Index after 8-100 weeks
  • solofpadawansolofpadawan Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited June 25
    Hello all.

Some of you may have seen my previous post, but I have decided to make another since my question has slightly changed.

When ever the center of my headset's vision is on a dark colour, a glare appears in the center of the headset vision that appears to be a reflection of any white/light colours near by. 

Would anyone please be willing to try this experiment on their quest and see if you get the same glare? To do this test I simply searched for images using the search word "black" in the oculus browser, and selected an image.

The glare intensity is similar if not worse than what I have tried to create here, and there is more glare all around in general.

I would be very curious to hear if others get the same results. I would like to know, as I can still get a replacement since I ordered through Amazon.

Some more points in case anyone is curous:
    - If I close either eye, the glare remains the same (so I don't think it is a scratch)
    - If I rotate my head, the glare doesn't change
    - If I move my head up/down/left/right  the glare goes up/down/left/right (always stays in the center)

Thanks! 

Hi, same here.. I also thought it was a scracth on either lenses.  so is it normal?!