cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone else's Rift S just falling apart?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I haven't had my S that long and I don't play it that often. But everything on the headset is falling apart. The velcro strap on the top doesn't stick anymore... at all. The foam padding has come unglued all over to the point where I'm about to just take it off. The nose plate doesn't really stay in and has to be reset alot. Do I just have a lemon or is this to be expected with Lenovo building the physical headset?  I don't understand how VRcovers can manage to get a face cover to stick but Lenovo/Oculus can't. Is proper glue really that expensive?
9 REPLIES 9

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
I use mine pretty regularly and it's still very solid. You may need to get a replacement 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like maybe a lemon.
Been using mine daily since around May 24th with many hours on it now, without issue.

RattyUK
Trustee
I think you have a lemon - try approaching support to ask for a replacement.  As with other comments, mine gets a lot of use and is holding up well.
I hope you get things sorted out to your satisfaction 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

mrbungle83
Explorer
yes mine is exactly the same, really disappointed the foam pad covers have completely fell off and the exposed sponge is really loose too. 

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
I bought a Rift S thinking it was mine, turns out it was the families. Thus every head has been it it every day since it arrived.  We don't have any of the OP problems.  Its almost as good as the day it arrived.  The velcro is a bit weaker - but still works.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Umpa_PC said:

I bought a Rift S thinking it was mine, turns out it was the families. Thus every head has been it it every day since it arrived.  We don't have any of the OP problems.  Its almost as good as the day it arrived.  The velcro is a bit weaker - but still works.

Yeah amazing huh...

mrbungle83
Explorer
Literally just use mine for race sims, it gets pretty toasty and I don't think the glue holds up, so mines down to bare plastic on the back and the front sponge is hanging on by a thread also got 2 dead pixels in the right lens, I was a CV1 owner and had no such issues and used that headset 3x more.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Mine has fallen apart further since the initial post but nothing that zip ties can't fix. It actually feels alot firmer using zip ties.

The little slot where the top strap loops through the front broke and the plastic clip that holds the cable against the headset also broke. The former just fell apart with no stress put on it at all. The latter was totally my fault. Got my controller caught on the cable hanging above me and yanked too hard.

RiCHeeGee
Protege
I'm on my third warranty replacement, it just died, the build quality hasn't been as you described on the HMD but the third set of Touch controllers I received seem flimsy around the ring and the paint job around the rings comes away on your fingers, I've scratched the surface with my nail lightly and came away with a substantial amount of paint flakes under my nails. THREE REPLACEMENTS AND ALL DIED DUE TO CONSTANT TRACKING LOCK UPS. Send it back whilst you can.