New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

PC Software Build 17.0 Release Notes

Comments

• adam.poole.313adam.poole.313 Posts: 170
    Art3mis
    edited May 23
    TomCgcmfc said:
    More useless drivel from professional complainers, lol!

V17 continues to work fine with my Rift cv1 as I’m sure it is for most.  Otherwise I’m sure Oculus would have rolled it back by now.  The equivalent v17 is also working fine with my Quest.
    I got news for you TomCgcmfc, your Rift isn't working flawlessly your powered USB card is. There is nothing wrong with your mobo (I have the same one) and its perfectly compliant with USB 3.0 standards (I've tested it) but I bet if you try to plug your headset into it you will get problems that come, go, get worse, or crash the HMD altogether depending on what the latest driver does.  That's a problem. Investing in 3rd party hardware might avoid the problem with the Oculus driver but it does not eliminate it...and Oculus has admitted that it IS A PROBLEM WITH THEIR DRIVER/FIRMWARE that they are working on.The average person wanting to buy an Oculus HMD is going to check their hardware and confirm that it meets the HMD min standards. If the HMD then doesn't work it is not reasonable to tell them there's nothing wrong with the hardware/software and to stop complaining because they can just go out and buy another manufacturer's device to see if maybe that fixes it. There is a problem with their driver/firmware and this is exactly the place for people to complain when they encounter it.

Perhaps the people complaining would do so less if they had something to occupy their time, but they don't because Oculus released a new driver their damn Rift won't turn on again.

Oculus Rift S, CV1
    Intel i7-8700K
    ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero
    16GB DDR4 x 2
    4 TB SDD, 2 TB SSD, 1 TB SSD
    Windows 10 Home
  • CallMeJay360CallMeJay360 Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 23
    Exactly "lol!", let people with legitimate complaints about the products we ACTUALLY have, complain about it so that they can get fixed, if you don't have a Rift S as you posted about being unhappy with it and even after the issues before 1.43 were fixed you still didn't think it is worth getting over the Rift CV1, then don't tell us Rift S users we are troll, or complainers just because your CV1 or Quest work, they're not the same as a Rift S, they don't work the same. 

Thank you! :smile:
    Hiro Protagonist
    morphee7 said:
    @TomCgcmfc i find it highly offensive that you call my post a "hater" post when in my recent post i have recreated the fault ive got, explained the fault with an example like in many post i put previously with evidence and even post solutions to get around issues but i am a "hater".

honestly when the rift s was announced it couldnt come soon enough as with it i could sim race again after being hit with diabetic retinopathy which sent me blind in one eye and impaired in the other so i couldnt use a monitor for it no longer.
    now there many different people have stated there issue on here on reddit and elsewhere and there is alot who havent as thry have just returned them to the store, and like me many have put in alot of tickets for the same answer of what i mentioned before for them to release an update that fixes it.

the more annoying thing is it makes you believe that it is your setup thats causing the issue and imo i believe that the guys reading the tickets are just reading off a script at the ticket centre and to also prove that its not my system i have a friend who runs the same setup as me with a valve index has zero issues on the same game in the same server/lobby as me at the same time and zero issues.

now i have sent feedback on this as a ticket seems to do nothing imo lets see if they take notice, just seems funny this is a returning issue from a previous patch that vanised after patxh v15 and returned as soon as v17 was released
    He doesn't even have a Rift S, but calls us haters (and in other post trolls too which is so ironic lol), he's just an Oculus fanboy and I admit I am too, If I get a dollar for every time I recommended the Rift S to someone on stream, in vr chat or discord, I'd be rich, but the fact is (And even Youtubers notice this and have tweeted about it) is that us Rift S users have been abandoned for a very long time.

But the guy who doesn't have a Rift S is going to tell us that it should work because his CV1 works well and we're trolls.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'll just wait for v18 and hope they address the Rift S, please Oculus. 

Cheers :heart:

• bitziebitzie Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    TomCgcmfc said:

V17 continues to work fine with my Rift cv1 as I’m sure it is for most.  Otherwise I’m sure Oculus would have rolled it back by now.  The equivalent v17 is also working fine with my Quest.
    Hahahaha! People have been complaining and submitting tickets about poor performance since V12. People have posted numerous times requesting the ability to rollback software to a version that works. Oculus doesn't care. They already have our money. Are there many people with no problems? Yes, of course. But that definitely does not mean that everyone else are just "professional complainers."

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
    morphee7 said:
    @TomCgcmfc i find it highly offensive that you call my post a "hater" post when in my recent post i have recreated the fault ive got, explained the fault with an example like in many post i put previously with evidence and even post solutions to get around issues but i am a "hater".

honestly when the rift s was announced it couldnt come soon enough as with it i could sim race again after being hit with diabetic retinopathy which sent me blind in one eye and impaired in the other so i couldnt use a monitor for it no longer.
    now there many different people have stated there issue on here on reddit and elsewhere and there is alot who havent as thry have just returned them to the store, and like me many have put in alot of tickets for the same answer of what i mentioned before for them to release an update that fixes it.

the more annoying thing is it makes you believe that it is your setup thats causing the issue and imo i believe that the guys reading the tickets are just reading off a script at the ticket centre and to also prove that its not my system i have a friend who runs the same setup as me with a valve index has zero issues on the same game in the same server/lobby as me at the same time and zero issues.

now i have sent feedback on this as a ticket seems to do nothing imo lets see if they take notice, just seems funny this is a returning issue from a previous patch that vanised after patxh v15 and returned as soon as v17 was released
    He doesn't even have a Rift S, but calls us haters (and in other post trolls too which is so ironic lol), he's just an Oculus fanboy and I admit I am too, If I get a dollar for every time I recommended the Rift S to someone on stream, in vr chat or discord, I'd be rich, but the fact is (And even Youtubers notice this and have tweeted about it) is that us Rift S users have been abandoned for a very long time.

But the guy who doesn't have a Rift S is going to tell us that it should work because his CV1 works well and we're trolls.
    I have a good local buddy with a Rift S (that I recommended to him and helped setup).  He has just about an identical PC as mine and he is not having any v17 issues.  Also, there have been a few Rift S users like @dburne who have posted the same with Rift S.  Pretty hard to find now thanks to all your rants.

Anyway, as I've said before to you, I will not debate with ranters.  Please do not expect any further replies to any of your posts.  I'm sure that will break your heart, lol! 

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 24
    But you said yourself many others also don't have issues and theirs work flawlessly, yet you can only mention 2 people, hmmmmm... it's good you came to your sense of not replying back to a conversation that wasn't going your way. 

As a moderator said before, people can post anything they want, as long as it is VR/Oculus related, so let us post our legitimate concerns and stop calling us names like trolls, or ranters, that's pretty bad forum behavior against users with legitimate issues and I don't appreciate it, I'm sure others like @adam.poole.313 , @bitzie and @morphee7 agree with me too!
  • ErkkipenapetteriErkkipenapetteri Posts: 7
    Brain Burst
    Thank you for once again taking a dump on your PC user base and instead trying to shove the quest down our throats. You have once again proven you do not care at all about your PC RIFT-S user base at all. I am already looking to sell my rift-s because with every update, some new problem arises and I can't use it. I have to spend hours just to try and fix it, just isn't worth it. I should have kept the damn cv1, cause at least it worked.
    Don't worry, the CV1 is not any better. :smile: Once again completely unusable after this latest patch.

If FB doesn't want to support its old users, maybe they shouldn't keep rolling out system-breaking updates either.

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    But you said yourself many others also don't have issues and theirs work flawlessly, yet you can only mention 2 people, hmmmmm... it's good you came to your sense of not replying back to a conversation that wasn't going your way. 

As a moderator said before, people can post anything they want, as long as it is VR/Oculus related, so let us post our legitimate concerns and stop calling us names like trolls, or ranters, that's pretty bad forum behavior against users with legitimate issues and I don't appreciate it, I'm sure others like @adam.poole.313 , @bitzie and @morphee7 agree with me too!
    Mine has worked flawlessly (Rift S) since they got rid of the 'random snow' issue - and the petty 'multiple right controllers (I had 24 once!) issue'.
    I've been on PTC solely since buying the original rift and have been on 3 different desktop hardware configurations  - none with an add-on USB card. (My laptop has only had 1 update, which was 'fixed' the next day I seem to recall, which caused the Rift S to not recognise the DP - that has been fine otherwise)
    Others have issues, undoubtedly, but not everyone - folk are quick to bleat but reluctant to praise, if the issue was 'massive' there would be more than the few currently complaining airing their sorrows.
    No denying you have an issue with your hardware, exactly as others do not.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 24
    @RattyUK I'm glad the Rift S is 100% working for you and you're satisfied, I also appreciate you understand others have made clear they have issues and point out what those issues are.

I'm all for saying "hey mine works fine", if also you acknowledge that others are having issues, rather than just saying we're haters. So thank you for that and I hope you Rift S stays the same for you! 
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 365
    Trinity
    yep, pretty well the same experience as RattyUK, tho' I never had the multiple controller thingy. My old CV1 is also working flawlessly for my grandson on a less than powerful PC :)
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    @RattyUK I'm glad the Rift S is 100% working for you and you're satisfied, I also appreciate you understand others have made clear they have issues and point out what those issues are.

I'm all for saying "hey mine works fine", if also you acknowledge that others are having issues, rather than just saying we're haters. So thank you for that and I hope you Rift S stays the same for you! 
    You are welcome, and thanks :)
    By the same token, I do hope that the issues being described finally get sorted, but I do think patience may have to be stretched, a lot, in the meantime!  It would be better if the majority of users were affected and pouring in their logs, then motivation to get a 'fix' would be a given...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • KeljuKelju Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    Kelju said:
    Kelju said:
    Downloading now. scared s***less.
    As a horror fan. i find it funny that scariest thing in vr, is new oculus update :D

So my fears came true. Really Oculus, really....?
    The hmd is connected to oculus recommended inatek usb card, by it self. sensors are in mb usb3 ports. all have worked well till now.
    it worked with the initial v17 update, now this new "hot fix" broke it.
    current version is:
    Oculus App Version 17.0.0.183.462 (17.0.0.183.462)

How the hell you can keep doing this.

and yes i have tried unpluging and repluging the hmd.

So i tried my rift despite the error message. I only tried few races in assetto corsa, and it worked perfectly. I try more games this weekend, and report back.
    With my system it seems to be just usb identification problem that doesnt affect it otherwise. But like i said, i test more games in the coming weekend, as im really busy at work atm, and dont have any mental power to play or test anything after work.
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 812
    Trinity

Do you think that by moaning on here something will get done ?  No !! support look at reported issues via the support ticket system.  Your cries and moans only affect other community forum users, who will probably end up blocking you, sick and tired of the relentless moaning.  This is a community forum - no one can help.  I don't think you want help - you just want to moan.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Umpa_PC said:

Do you think that by moaning on here something will get done ?  No !! support look at reported issues via the support ticket system.  Your cries and moans only affect other community forum users, who will probably end up blocking you, sick and tired of the relentless moaning.  This is a community forum - no one can help.  I don't think you want help - you just want to moan.
    Did you read the forum rules? You're being a jerk, you're being disrespectful  as hell for no reason at all to someone who isn't talking to you or about you. For your information, I have done support tickets through the app and the website too, Showbiz him/her self have said that they take into consideration the post people do here sometimes and sends them back to the team. If you don't like than some users, including myself are having issues and we haven't been addressed since December, then you can kindly ignore our post, or just delete your account. What we're doing is part of what members do in forums, they voice their concerns or opinions, that be good or bad. 

@DaftnDirect  @ShowbizDonkey , idk why this guy Umpa is being so aggressive over a piece of plastic but please do something, I don't appreciate the attitude for no reason.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,309 Valuable Player
    max883 said:
    It canot be fixed by a update. The Usb from The headsett is not longer working as it got overloadet by to much curent. Oculus is working on a sulution.  

This is the funniest thing I have ever heard in my life!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Sorry but it doesn't work that way.  USB devices only draw as much current as they NEED.  There is absolutely NO WAY what you said can happen.  Simply not possible.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Umpa_PC said:

Did you read the forum rules? You're being a jerk, you're being disrespectful  as hell for no reason at all to someone who isn't talking to you or about you. For your information, I have done support tickets through the app and the website too, Showbiz him/her self have said that they take into consideration the post people do here sometimes and sends them back to the team. If you don't like than some users, including myself are having issues and we haven't been addressed since December, then you can kindly ignore our post, or just delete your account. What we're doing is part of what members do in forums, they voice their concerns or opinions, that be good or bad. 

@DaftnDirect  @ShowbizDonkey , idk why this guy Umpa is being so aggressive over a piece of plastic but please do something, I don't appreciate the attitude for no reason.

Sorry but he is correct on one point.  This forum IS NOT OFFICIAL OCULUS SUPPORT.  They simply just used the shittiest forum software, put it on here, and basically left us.  You've been here since 2018....surely you must have seen that the devs/support RARELY interact with us here.

If you would like real support your only choice is support.oculus.com

Hope it goes well.

Hiro Protagonist
    Digikid1 said:
    Umpa_PC said:

Sorry but he is correct on one point.  This forum IS NOT OFFICIAL OCULUS SUPPORT.  They simply just used the shittiest forum software, put it on here, and basically left us.  You've been here since 2018....surely you must have seen that the devs/support RARELY interact with us here.

If you would like real support your only choice is support.oculus.com

Hope it goes well.

I am aware of the fact this is not the main way to send support, or describe issues with the software, but it is one of them, this is a fact. As well as at least from my end, I have used the other methods of feedback. Regardless, my issues aren't with any user here, so there was no need to be an "internet tough guy". 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Point is, as long as the rules aren't being broken and are followed, all is permitted, just as anyone is allowed to have their opinion or whatever, we are allowed to express our own as much as we want. If someone doesn't like what someone else said, that's their problem and there's nothing they can do about it other than angrily type back like said person did to me and broke rules. End of story
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
    Wow, that ignore option works very well, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 812
    Trinity
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Wow, that ignore option works very well, lol!
    Yes, he's on mine now.  I bet he got bullied as school quite a bit.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,474 Volunteer Moderator
    Digikid1 said:
    max883 said:
    It canot be fixed by a update. The Usb from The headsett is not longer working as it got overloadet by to much curent. Oculus is working on a sulution.  

Sorry but it doesn't work that way.  USB devices only draw as much current as they NEED.  There is absolutely NO WAY what you said can happen.  Simply not possible.

Actually it's possible, if the cable is badly designed or faulty.
    The cable contains hardware that negotiates between both ends to choose a suitable current. But some cheap cables just allow max current regardless of either end's ability to handle it.

But it shouldn't be happening from a software update, it's a hardware design fault.
    kojack said:
    Digikid1 said:
    max883 said:

Actually it's possible, if the cable is badly designed or faulty.
    The cable contains hardware that negotiates between both ends to choose a suitable current. But some cheap cables just allow max current regardless of either end's ability to handle it.

But it shouldn't be happening from a software update, it's a hardware design fault.

In THAT regard yes.  But with a PROPERLY designed and maintained cable....no.
  • JakAzz425JakAzz425 Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    Has anyone heard from oculus if they are going to patch or have this fixed at any point?  I feel like Im about to blow the plugs out of my GPU and Mobo from connecting and disconnecting cables everytime they say to, (like its going to help).  Kinda ridiculous honestly.....
    Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme Z390 With 9900K / 970 Pro 1tb Boot Drive And WD Black 6tb Data Drive / 64GB Dominator Black / Strix 1080 TI / RMi1000 Watt / Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic / 2 Rad Custom Rigid Loop
  • morphee7morphee7 Posts: 137
    Art3mis
    well would you look at that the old problem of the mic making me sound like a ronbot has returned from v14 i think it was? well i have sent feedback as all my drivers are upto date and bios is upto date, the thing is the last time this happened i was on a different motherboard and i was also on a different GPU so go figure oh and also a different cpu
  • ParagunParagun Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    Any News for a new update?? Like most of us here, the headset still doesn't recognize the USB 3 port...
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,522 Volunteer Moderator
    Paragun said:
    Any News for a new update?? Like most of us here, the headset still doesn't recognize the USB 3 port...
    The next release (v18) is available in beta form now. You can try it by opting in to the PTC (public test channel) in the Oculus PC app. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,666 Valuable Player
    nalex66 said:
    Paragun said:
    The next release (v18) is available in beta form now. You can try it by opting in to the PTC (public test channel) in the Oculus PC app. 

Unfortunately V18 is still not able to correctly identify my USB 3 ports. (Even though every version up to V17 was able to)
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• Lethal_AimsLethal_Aims Posts: 81
    Hiro Protagonist
    Is see this release includes a driver update which re-installs and re-enables this virtual driver, stomping all over your audio devices (again). This driver serves no purpose for Rift users and the installer behaviour is a nuisance.