New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb G2 - collaboration between HP, Valve and Microsoft

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,659 Valuable Player
    Interesting that they would announce a new version around a year after release of the current version.
    Wonder if this will have any effect on Oculus plans for new devices...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,146 Valuable Player
    edited May 26
    dburne said:
    Interesting that they would announce a new version around a year after release of the current version.
    Wonder if this will have any effect on Oculus plans for new devices...

I could be wrong, but I'm sure when the Rift S was announced that Nate Mitchell said Oculus wanted to produce cheaper headsets from now on. That was some time ago now and since then there's been no mention of another standalone PC -VR headset from Oculus. HP is the company that's keeping my VR dreams alive right now and I'm drooling over the specs of this HP G2 VR headset. An instant buy from me when it arrives.

I can't see Oculus producing anything like the HP G2 VR headset, if they want to keep things cheap. I can't even see them making another standalone PC-VR headset anytime soon if I'm honest. That's a real shame given they started all this VR adventure. I think with Oculus it's going to be more about Oculus Quest now hooked up to a PC, but I'm not happy with the comfort of the Oculus Quest and comfort is one of the things I look for most in a VR headset.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,853 Valuable Player
    edited May 26
    Does make the stand that Oculus Store might need to start being more open here shortly and support other headsets going forward much like how Steam is right now. By next year - I wonder how people will react with the Oculus store if it doesn't support the headset they want to use? Oculus is great - but if they aim for only low and mid - this still leaves the mid to high range of headsets on the market buying software from other stores. And those people are usually the ones that don't mind spending a little more money on day one stuff.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,424 Valuable Player
    edited May 26
    This has been discussed elsewhere so not sure best place for it but I and a lot of people have issues loading software from the Oculus store and we have an Oculus headset. I don't think they have the capability to support other headsets.
    edited May 26
    I and a lot of people have issues loading software from the Oculus store and I have an Oculus headset. I don't think they have the capability to support other headsets.
    Yea I notice people complain about the payment method and other weird location issues that been going on for a while. I just sent in a few tickets this morning asking for comment or to get them fix. lol, I will say, never help out on the help forum unless you have the spoon feed answer - they just down vote you for no reason xD
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 805
    3Jane
    I refuse to get excited, my heart has been broken too many times :) I might go for mild but reluctant hope.
    Well i think this time we might be onto something with this new HMD and collaboration, as i see it HP make good HMDs, the WMR were and still are actually not bad HMDs from a per eye res and bang for buck standpoint, although the tracking and controllers needed some work, and support from them outside of W10 was just terrible, but with Valve onboard hopefully bringing that native steamVR support for this new HMD to ride on the coat tails of the Index, so yeah i am actually going to let myself feel exited about this for the moment, cheaper than the monster that is the Index, for vr gamers who have a modest VR system were 90mhz or even 80mhz work perfectly, and support via steamvr native by default, this HMD could be big on steam, if they get the price right.
    Yeah if this next Reverb supports Steam VR natively I will be very tempted to get one. Especially if still no indication of further PC-VR development from Oculus utilizing some of the technology they were looking at in the past.
    Provided I am excited by the Reverb G2 specs. But with Microsoft in the mix I have a feeling WMR will also be a requirement.

The only thing holding me back from the Index is the cost of entry and tracking system. Oculus has spoiled me with the Insight tracking for Rift S and Quest and still loving both. I have been loyal with Oculus for quite some time, but that can certainly change.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    3Jane
    edited May 26
    ^^Yeap, if this new HMD matches say Quest and Rift S HMD price and also turns out to have full steamVR support with the index HMD then steamvr gamers are going to be all over, for me that would be a day one buy, a Oculus Rift S WMR clone with index knuckles thumstick and buttons support at a Oculus price point, but native steamvr support, and no Oculus hardware SDK fighting with steamVR and killing performance.....a match made in heaven. ;)

• CallMeJay360CallMeJay360 Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    OmegaM4N said:
    ^^Yeap, if this new HMD matches say Quest and Rift S HMD price and also turns out to have full steamVR support with the index HMD then steamvr gamers are going to be all over, for me that would be a day one buy, a Oculus Rift S WMR clone with index knuckles thumstick and buttons support at a Oculus price point, but native steamvr support, and no Oculus hardware SDK fighting with steamVR and killing performance.....a match made in heaven. ;)

From what the leaks show and their own ad images compared to the leak, it doesn't seem like it'll even support index controllers, it's inside out tech with better controllers and more cameras. 
    3Jane
    edited May 26
    ^^Not support the knuckles hardware but support the new controllers like they were knuckles at the basic level, so the thumbsticks and button work just as if you were using knuckles, minus the finger tracking and such, giving the new HMD full index support in steamvr games that support the index. ;)
    edited May 27
    I wish I knew what Oculus plan was. I might jump the gun and get the next HP headset. Even if its not as good in terms of the vision tracking - long as it can match that of Quest in daily usage I be more than happy to have higher res screens and a large FOV than what we have now. HD soo close - but feels still so far away. By the time they release that - other HMDs will be close enough in numbers it wont really matter anyways. Just for example, HD teased 30PPD and 130FOV - if the rumors are correct - we're already there with HP next headset. Even if its still only 16PPD over 130FOV its still a bigger jump than the 10-12PPD we're at right now. Not just in clarity - but in viewing. With the 3000s just around the bin as well - there should be enough horse power as well. I am consider just the top 10% so I wont be much of a lost for Oculus anyways - they still will have the entry and mid market. I just want something bleeding edge though to tie me over. Don't mind waiting - just itching at this point for some type of larger jump in VR already.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,721 Valuable Player
    Been excited for this since I first heard the rumors. Only negative to me would be lack of OLED as I'm kind of spoiled with three OLED headsets lol. I wonder what Samsung has up their sleeves with their rumored headset as well.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,386 Valuable Player
    I said in the past that if the index had inside out tracking it would be a buy for me. If this approaches the index and gets great reviews then for me it's a buy. After the htc cosmos disaster I'm glad valve is involved.

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,474 Volunteer Moderator
    MRTV already has a video reveal of a new VR headset (that they can't name yet) scheduled for 12 hours from now (coincidentally the HP announcement of something new is 12 hours from now).

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,280 Valuable Player
    I gotta say that unless there are inside out tracked HMDs with VASTLY better light sensitivity than the Reverb, then I'm not buying another one. I gotta BLAST my black bat cave with lamps in the evening to avoid it going into 3DOF mode. :(
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    3Jane
    Don't let me down now HP, MS and Valve, i have convinced myself from absolutely no facts or evidence that this will be a Index lite or similar for £450 UK pounds with manual IPD and full steamVR support, but with a LCD panel, and even though i have clung to OLED for grim death, i think i am at some point going to have to accept that the industry seems to be moving to LCD, and if this has a LCD and the reviews are good then i might just have to pull that Oled band aid off now in one motion and get it over with, but we shall see.

So here we go.........be a index S, be a Index S, be a Index S.

Hoping for native Steam VR support and no need for WMR. I doubt that will happen though.
    Will know soon enough.
    Don

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,522 Volunteer Moderator
    Im interested to see today’s reveal(s), but other than for Oculus products, I can’t get on the hype train without solid information and user reviews. Every new headset sounds great on paper, but then we end up with a Cosmos.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    edited May 28
    pyroth309 said:
    Been excited for this since I first heard the rumors. Only negative to me would be lack of OLED as I'm kind of spoiled with three OLED headsets lol. I wonder what Samsung has up their sleeves with their rumored headset as well.
    Well they are working towards Q-LCD at this time droping LCD as their main focus. In one of their papers - they talk about how they can combine with OLED thus creating Q-LEDs that are much thinner and cost less to produce at full RGB scales. Its a 5-10 year plan with them at the end just printing OLED dots in a 2 layer design vs the 6-8 we are right now at. That paper was release last year - so I wonder if they made some head way on this?They been known to product custom displays already with their HMD.

nalex66 said:
    Im interested to see today’s reveal(s), but other than for Oculus products, I can’t get on the hype train without solid information and user reviews. Every new headset sounds great on paper, but then we end up with a Cosmos.
    WMR was "ok" so we do have some idea on how it will work already. Thus, to some level, know some of the draw backs and improvements they can work on for this headset. We had no idea how the tracking would be like for the Cosmos as it was base on HTC design. Short of the tracking (witch was the biggest question-mark at the time) the headset was fine, but as we know - tracking is a BIG part of if a headset will do well as a total package too. Long as they improve the tracking for G2 (witch they did add 2 more cameras so there is hope) I think it will at least be miles a head of the Cosmos for its asking price of around the 600-700$ range (assuming its around the same price as the first one). Like you though - wait for the reviews so we know. I wouldn't just jump into a purchase like this with out some word of mouth. My biggest scare - is if Oculus sees this as a threat and release HD just next year xD Makes you wonder what Oculus might have done differently if Cosmos did sell well?
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,580 Valuable Player
    kojack said:
    MRTV already has a video reveal of a new VR headset (that they can't name yet) scheduled for 12 hours from now (coincidentally the HP announcement of something new is 12 hours from now).

Just got home from work and read your post stating 12 hours  :# - but then I just realized that's 60 minutes now! How lucky can you be?  :D
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • McNuttsMcNutts Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Mradr said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Well they are working towards Q-LCD at this time droping LCD as their main focus. In one of their papers - they talk about how they can combine with OLED thus creating Q-LEDs that are much thinner and cost less to produce at full RGB scales. Its a 5-10 year plan with them at the end just printing OLED dots in a 2 layer design vs the 6-8 we are right now at. That paper was release last year - so I wonder if they made some head way on this?They been known to product custom displays already with their HMD.
    Samsung is closing down all of their LCD factors after this year so I would say they are making head way with this. They will be selling OLED with quantum dots very soon. I personally can't wait. I have a 65" LG OLED and love it to death. If they really can produce a screen that looks better than what I currently have they will have my money that's for sure.

I was going to buy a new OLED TV with 120Hz, variable refresh rate, and eARC for the new consoles coming out this Christmas and put my current OLED TV in my bedroom. After reading about the plans Samsung has I'm waiting now. From what I have read I should be able to buy a new Samsung quantum dot OLED TV in about a year or so.
    Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x @ 4.5GHz all cores | Noctua NH-D15S with 2 Fans | GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ULTRA |  32GB [email protected] | EVGA 2080 Super XC Ultra | OS(Win 10 Pro) - 250GB NVMe WD Black | Games - 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda | Case - NZXT H510i | PSU - CORSAIR RMx Series 850W Gold |
    Plex Server: [email protected] | 16GB | 250GB SSD | 2x4TB WD Black HDs | EVGA 980 ti
    VR Headsets: Rift S | 128GB Quest | 64GB Go | PSVR | Valve Index after 8-100 weeks
    20 minutes!

Hyperventilating big bang theory GIF - Find on GIFER
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,424 Valuable Player
    edited May 28
    You are wrong its 8 minutes ;) drooool

Must not get excited...remember the hurt...remember the broken promises..remember the neglected FOV
    You are wrong its 8 minutes ;) drooool

Must not get excited...remember the hurt...remember the broken promises..remember the neglected FOV

Yeah, we've all been hurt before. I want a red one, this time I'm sure HP has listened to all my letters!

He's late... But HP is not:

HP page is already up, you can register your email to be notified when it's available.

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,280 Valuable Player
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Panel: mura-free, 2160 x 2160 LCD panels per eye and full RGB stripe
    6m cable
    550g (Rift-S is 500g)

edited May 28
    So it's same res and fov as Reverb, better sound, better comfort, better panel quality, longer cable, requires extra USB power, valve designed lenses, WMR tracking and SteamVR isn't native.

Sounds like a nice update to the Reverb.

From earlier in the video they mentioned 60-68mm IPD, which is a bit of a small range.