New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HP Reverb G2 - collaboration between HP, Valve and Microsoft

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 6,474 Volunteer Moderator
    Interesting, there is no separate business license, you can use the headset for consumer or commercial use.
    (The Oculus Business Quest costs double the normal 128GB Quest: $999us)

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,581 Valuable Player
    edited May 28
    kojack said:
    So it's same res and fov as Reverb, better sound, better comfort, better panel quality, longer cable, requires extra USB power, valve designed lenses, WMR tracking and SteamVR isn't native.

Sounds like a nice update to the Reverb.

From earlier in the video they mentioned 60-68mm IPD, which is a bit of a small range.
    Seems like HP has been assimilated by the Borg, lol - Personally I think it's great to see a collaboration between MS, HP and Valve. Manufacturers standing together and supporting each other may be be just what VR needs. 

And you'll be able to purchase G2 in all regions, also through Steam (it seems) - theoretically much better availability than the Index.  

Limited fov and Hz - and most of all my beloved Knuckles - probably will be my reasons not to get a G2, but let's see some reviews first. I guess the G2 controllers still will need a lot of light to work like @Wildt said, because the rings are the same as old WMR controllers... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • McNuttsMcNutts Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'll pass until I see some really great reviews that blow me away. The positions of the cameras don't seem like it would have better controller tracking than a Quest. It might have comparable tracking to the Rift S. I would still rather have a Valve Index for $400 more to get the best tracking there currently is. 

Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x @ 4.5GHz all cores | Noctua NH-D15S with 2 Fans | GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ULTRA |  32GB [email protected] | EVGA 2080 Super XC Ultra | OS(Win 10 Pro) - 250GB NVMe WD Black | Games - 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda | Case - NZXT H510i | PSU - CORSAIR RMx Series 850W Gold |
    Plex Server: [email protected] | 16GB | 250GB SSD | 2x4TB WD Black HDs | EVGA 980 ti
    VR Headsets: Rift S | 128GB Quest | 64GB Go | PSVR | Valve Index after 8-100 weeks
    edited May 28
    McNutts said:
    I'll pass until I see some really great reviews that blow me away. The positions of the cameras don't seem like it would have better controller tracking than a Quest. It might have comparable tracking to the Rift S. I would still rather have a Valve Index for $400 more to get the best tracking there currently is. 

I think the HP dude (Ludwig) did say that tracking was like Rift-S. Might also depend of your frame of reference. Coming from 3 sensors CV1, Index was just slightly better or the same (and lets you play in a totally dark room). Coming from Quest, G2 may have the tracking you're used to and not be a problem... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,424 Valuable Player
    FFS same FOV again. I knew I should not get excited. No compromises my arse.
    FFS same FOV again. I knew I should not get excited. No compromises my arse.
    - and the left G2 thumbstick will start drifting within a month  :D (sorry, should never joke about that  :# )

Damn it, UploadVR are adopting Pimax marketing bullshit terminology. They are calling the G2 a 4K headset.
    That's not how it works!

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,634 Valuable Player
    So no release date or price yet?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited May 28
    snowdog said:
    So no release date or price yet?
    $599 - fall 2020.

Pre-order here  o:)

https://ssl.www8.hp.com/h41268/live/index.aspx?qid=33354

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,659 Valuable Player
    Hmmmm interesting but think I will take a wait and see approach on this one.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    Some comments from Index Reddit:

"this totally destroys the Vive Cosmos."

"What the Rift S should've been"

"It's fucking wack. I was honestly hoping this would be something I could jump off the 10+ week waiting wagon on my Index HMD and controllers but it's not. It's not even available right away and I can't even preorder it until June. If I do it in June it'll be till "Fall 2020" until I have one."

"I'd say the advantages it has over the Index are the resolution and the price. As for FOV, tracking, refresh rate and controllers, I prefer the Index. But the G2 is clearly a step in the right direction, and it's probably the headset I'd buy if the Index didn't exist."

So when the dust settles, the G2 really is the G1 a lot of people thought they got last year, but didn't (because there was mura, because the cable was annoying, because the headphones weren't as good as many hoped for, because the WMR tracking really wasn't much improved although HP had said so)...

RuneSR2 said:
    Some comments from Index Reddit:

"this totally destroys the Vive Cosmos."
    The Vive Cosmos totally destroyed the Vive Cosmos. :)

One thing people have pointed out, so far there's no mention of capacitive sensors in the controllers.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,127 Valuable Player
    I will still get this despite being a side-grade rather than full-on upgrade.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,280 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    I guess the G2 controllers still will need a lot of light to work like @Wildt said, because the rings are the same as old WMR controllers... 
    The HMD cameras can see the controllers fine in the dark (you can see them from the moon tbh), but it cannot track the surroundings, so you lose positional tracking. 
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,721 Valuable Player
    Very impressive. Good to see HP listened to feedback and made a much better product. It's definitely the front runner for me at this point. I'm not going to buy anything before I get a 3080TI, but I like what I see. 
  • McNuttsMcNutts Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    RuneSR2 said:
    McNutts said:

I think the HP dude (Ludwig) did say that tracking was like Rift-S. Might also depend of your frame of reference. Coming from 3 sensors CV1, Index was just slightly better or the same (and lets you play in a totally dark room). Coming from Quest, G2 may have the tracking you're used to and not be a problem... 
    We will see. Based on how the cameras are setup I think the tracking might not be as good as the Rift S but that's only based a few images I have seen. Plus there is no top camera so to me this things just seems like a resolutions bump with a lens slider when compared to the Rift S. The resolution for both eyes is higher than 4K. In order to pump out that type of resolution you will need a 3080 ti.

Unless reviews come out and say this things is better than sex I'm not getting it. I'm pretty happy with my Quest for some PCVR and mobile play, Rift S for most PCVR play, and my Go for watching movies with my family who own a Quest too. Once I finally get my hands on an Index I will sell, or give away, my Rift S and I will be happy for a pretty long time with those headsets until the Del Mar (Quest 2.0) comes out. Once Del Mar releases I will sell, or give away, my Quest.

Once I have an Index I really don't see the need to keep my Rift S since I own a Quest. The Quest can do everything the Rift S can do, has better tracking IMO, can be used without a PC, and the latency when using VirtualDesktop for PCVR is pretty damn good. 

Now if Oculus releases a super low latency method of wireless PCVR for the Quest, or Del Mar, my Rift S is gone that day.
    Main PC: AMD Ryzen 7 3800x @ 4.5GHz all cores | Noctua NH-D15S with 2 Fans | GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ULTRA |  32GB [email protected] | EVGA 2080 Super XC Ultra | OS(Win 10 Pro) - 250GB NVMe WD Black | Games - 1TB NVMe Samsung 970 EVO Plus | 4TB Seagate Barracuda | Case - NZXT H510i | PSU - CORSAIR RMx Series 850W Gold |
    Plex Server: [email protected] | 16GB | 250GB SSD | 2x4TB WD Black HDs | EVGA 980 ti
    VR Headsets: Rift S | 128GB Quest | 64GB Go | PSVR | Valve Index after 8-100 weeks
    I agree that 3080 Ti will be a great choice for G2. But 3080 Ti is probably great too for Index, if you want 120 or 144 Hz and don't want to use res close to 100% in demanding games... Stormland using Index probably needs 3080 Ti just for 90 fps, lol.

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 805
    3Jane
    edited May 28
    Ok i am impressed so far, i had a funny feeling it would be LCD but i am resigned to that at this point in future HMDs, but when i saw "seemless intergration with steamVR" i knew i had found my next HMD as a upgrade from my present CV1,Vive and WMR hmds, so yeah this looks perfect for me, but as a rule of thumb i never pre-order anything, so i still have to wait until it's out for hands on reviews before i  move, but so far it's looking good as my next VR upgrade. :)
    I wish these guys would not announce these things so far away from actual release.
    I guess they want the pre-orders and that is understandable. But I shall wait and see.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,386 Valuable Player
    I'm interested in this myself but after the cosmo fiasco I'll wait a few months after the headset is physically out. 
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,227 Valuable Player
    Thats a serious game changer. The license and development environment will encourage a lot more devs to get involved, and the more opened environment will prove an incentive to Indies. 

Fingers crossed that HP dont mess this up - but its interesting to see so much interest in a Valve and HP derived platform on a Oculus / Facebook forum.

The lights must be burning at Lenovo and HTC offices tonight!
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
    edited May 28
    Looks like Valve's input was limited to headphones and lenses.  Both probably good things.  

Not clear what Microsoft has brought to the party?  This will be the first 4x camera WMR headset so it will be interesting to see if and how WMR software takes advantage of this, or if there's going to be teething problems. 

The G2 res is pretty impressive but it's screens are significantly smaller than the Vive Pro or Index (2.89" vs 3.5").  This together with no obvious eye relief adjustment may impact size/scale, don't know?  Probably Valve's lens design sorts this out ok.  Still not sure why HP did not use larger screens.  Probably a cost saving thing.

I see that the product specs include a power adapter.  I guess this is to power up a Link Box?

No OLED, no eye relief adjustment, and new 4x camera WMR.  So, not very interesting to me right now.  Also, just pictures, but the headset cable still looks pretty thick.

Nice to see the flip-up screen but I wonder how well that is going to work given there is no Halo headband frontal support.

Still always good to see new VR developments and I wish them (HP) well.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

Yeah HP probably playing a bit loose with the naming convention, not sure I would consider this a second generation Reverb. 
    Don

• MradrMradr Posts: 3,853 Valuable Player
    edited May 28
    Yup a Rift S jump if you will. Over all better improvements and support. Good upgrade it sounds like to the og. I might jump onto this. I was going to for the Cosmos until all the problems with the tracking. If the tracking for this one is just better than last generation I think it will be a win for me to tie me over until we get that HD3 in a few more years.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,634 Valuable Player
    Is there any news of cap sensors in the controllers yet? It's a bit daft cloning the Touch controllers if they haven't also cloned the finger tracking.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    Is there any news of cap sensors in the controllers yet? It's a bit daft cloning the Touch controllers if they haven't also cloned the finger tracking.
    Ya, same cap analog as touch so same last three finger tracking as touch imho.  It does not look like it has full finger tracking like the Index though.  Maybe something Valve held back on, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,522 Volunteer Moderator
    It looks like a fine headset, at the same price that I paid for my CV1 at release. If it could be used natively with the Oculus software (including ASW), it would be a solid upgrade from a CV1. My only other reservation would be the unknown quality of the tracking—but, even if it wasn’t great at release, Oculus has certainly shown that it can be significantly improved in time. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    nalex66 said:
    It looks like a fine headset, at the same price that I paid for my CV1 at release. If it could be used natively with the Oculus software (including ASW), it would be a solid upgrade from a CV1. My only other reservation would be the unknown quality of the tracking—but, even if it wasn’t great at release, Oculus has certainly shown that it can be significantly improved in time. 
    Ya, I've always hoped that Vive would fix my OG Cosmos tracking but after 8 months since it was released this has not happened yet, lol!

I wonder if passthrough and finger tracking is in the cards?  Who knows?