Did you mean: 

HP Reverb G2 - collaboration between HP, Valve and Microsoft

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
https://youtu.be/cz9wHbOOjpw

More here - sounds big with HP working together with Valve and Microsoft:

https://uploadvr.com/hp-reverb-g2-teased/

1coeczfe0b7v.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

240 REPLIES 240

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmmm interesting but think I will take a wait and see approach on this one.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Some comments from Index Reddit:

"this totally destroys the Vive Cosmos."

"
What the Rift S should've been"

"
It's fucking wack. I was honestly hoping this would be something I could jump off the 10+ week waiting wagon on my Index HMD and controllers but it's not. It's not even available right away and I can't even preorder it until June. If I do it in June it'll be till "Fall 2020" until I have one."

"
I'd say the advantages it has over the Index are the resolution and the price. As for FOV, tracking, refresh rate and controllers, I prefer the Index. But the G2 is clearly a step in the right direction, and it's probably the headset I'd buy if the Index didn't exist."

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
So when the dust settles, the G2 really is the G1 a lot of people thought they got last year, but didn't (because there was mura, because the cable was annoying, because the headphones weren't as good as many hoped for, because the WMR tracking really wasn't much improved although HP had said so)...

kojack
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

Some comments from Index Reddit:

"this totally destroys the Vive Cosmos."

The Vive Cosmos totally destroyed the Vive Cosmos. 🙂

One thing people have pointed out, so far there's no mention of capacitive sensors in the controllers.
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I will still get this despite being a side-grade rather than full-on upgrade.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Wildt
Consultant

RuneSR2 said:
I guess the G2 controllers still will need a lot of light to work like @Wildt said, because the rings are the same as old WMR controllers... 

The HMD cameras can see the controllers fine in the dark (you can see them from the moon tbh), but it cannot track the surroundings, so you lose positional tracking. 
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

pyroth309
Visionary
Very impressive. Good to see HP listened to feedback and made a much better product. It's definitely the front runner for me at this point. I'm not going to buy anything before I get a 3080TI, but I like what I see. 

McNutts
Adventurer

RuneSR2 said:

McNutts said:

I'll pass until I see some really great reviews that blow me away. The positions of the cameras don't seem like it would have better controller tracking than a Quest. It might have comparable tracking to the Rift S. I would still rather have a Valve Index for $400 more to get the best tracking there currently is. 

I think the HP dude (Ludwig) did say that tracking was like Rift-S. Might also depend of your frame of reference. Coming from 3 sensors CV1, Index was just slightly better or the same (and lets you play in a totally dark room). Coming from Quest, G2 may have the tracking you're used to and not be a problem... 

We will see. Based on how the cameras are setup I think the tracking might not be as good as the Rift S but that's only based a few images I have seen. Plus there is no top camera so to me this things just seems like a resolutions bump with a lens slider when compared to the Rift S. The resolution for both eyes is higher than 4K. In order to pump out that type of resolution you will need a 3080 ti.

Unless reviews come out and say this things is better than sex I'm not getting it. I'm pretty happy with my Quest for some PCVR and mobile play, Rift S for most PCVR play, and my Go for watching movies with my family who own a Quest too. Once I finally get my hands on an Index I will sell, or give away, my Rift S and I will be happy for a pretty long time with those headsets until the Del Mar (Quest 2.0) comes out. Once Del Mar releases I will sell, or give away, my Quest.

Once I have an Index I really don't see the need to keep my Rift S since I own a Quest. The Quest can do everything the Rift S can do, has better tracking IMO, can be used without a PC, and the latency when using VirtualDesktop for PCVR is pretty damn good. 

Now if Oculus releases a super low latency method of wireless PCVR for the Quest, or Del Mar, my Rift S is gone that day.
Ryzen 7 5800X | 3090FE | 32GB@3600MHz | Rift S | 128GB Quest1 | 256GB Quest2 | 64GB Go | PSVR | Index

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I agree that 3080 Ti will be a great choice for G2. But 3080 Ti is probably great too for Index, if you want 120 or 144 Hz and don't want to use res close to 100% in demanding games... Stormland using Index probably needs 3080 Ti just for 90 fps, lol.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Ok i am impressed so far, i had a funny feeling it would be LCD but i am resigned to that at this point in future HMDs, but when i saw "seemless intergration with steamVR" i knew i had found my next HMD as a upgrade from my present CV1,Vive and WMR hmds, so yeah this looks perfect for me, but as a rule of thumb i never pre-order anything, so i still have to wait until it's out for hands on reviews before i  move, but so far it's looking good as my next VR upgrade. 🙂
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.