cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the Rift s Gone to a worse state from the previous updates?

Bloopie
Protege
I've been lurking on the forums here while waiting for some cash to buy the rift s But i've seen alot of discussions with usb ports some not connecting well and some of them literally failing Should i still buy a headset next month?
23 REPLIES 23

Bloopie
Protege

Umpa_PC said:

My experience has been mainly good, I do run into the USB issues every now and again, usually because I forget to unplug it after use, it likes to be plugged in [after] computer boot up.  Other than that its been perfect - no issues.  Its taken every update like a champ.  I wish they would do less updates, and make them better when they do, but it is what it is.

Dang. I wished to keep it plugged in all the time that may be a issue since i dont want any cables and stuff all over my setup

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Bloopie said:

Umpa_PC said:

My experience has been mainly good, I do run into the USB issues every now and again, usually because I forget to unplug it after use, it likes to be plugged in [after] computer boot up.  Other than that its been perfect - no issues.  Its taken every update like a champ.  I wish they would do less updates, and make them better when they do, but it is what it is.

Dang. I wished to keep it plugged in all the time that may be a issue since i dont want any cables and stuff all over my setup

I never unplug my Rift cv1 or it's 2x sensors.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

ENZER
Explorer
@Bloopie - Just get a Quest. You can still plug it into a PC. My Rift S was working until a few weeks ago, then I updated the Oculus software and now my headset doesn't work anymore. Thankfully, I have a Quest too and am able to jump to VR but until Oculus comes up with a solution, my Rift S is bricked.

I been a VR user since 2013, worked for Oculus for years, am tech savvy, and am a strong tech troubleshooter and still encounter PC VR issues that I can't fix. Get a Rift only if you accept that potential outcome.

Bloopie
Protege

ENZER said:

@Bloopie - Just get a Quest. You can still plug it into a PC. My Rift S was working until a few weeks ago, then I updated the Oculus software and now my headset doesn't work anymore. Thankfully, I have a Quest too and am able to jump to VR but until Oculus comes up with a solution, my Rift S is bricked.

I been a VR user since 2013, worked for Oculus for years, am tech savvy, and am a strong tech troubleshooter and still encounter PC VR issues that I can't fix. Get a Rift only if you accept that potential outcome.

I really dont wanna get a quest. Due to the huge frame drop and other stuff i'll risk my money on the rift s  for now 

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

Bloopie said:

I really dont wanna get a quest. Due to the huge frame drop and other stuff i'll risk my money on the rift s  for now 

I have a Rift S and have not had any major problems with it at all.  The Optics are much better than Quest, so if you don't mind taking the USB plug out and putting it back in again to get it to work, and you are not one of the few, who for whatever reason can't get it to work -  All I can say is you will probably love it.

It seems that most - (but not all) people who have problems are AMD computer owners. I can say though if you have an MSI Trident_3 you won't have many problems at all.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

TK.Prince
Protege
Not only AMD users.
I have an Intel CPU, and an Nvidia GPU ....

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

TK.Prince said:

Not only AMD users.
I have an Intel CPU, and an Nvidia GPU ....

Yeah I did say that, although most seem to be.  I guess I got lucky.
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
No way not at all. I've been following Rift and S progression closely for 6 months now trying to problem solve my issues and I do not see any patterns at all with effected hardware. I see just as many Intel users with problems as AMD users.

As far as the original question, Has the Rift S gotten worse due to updates, I can only offer my opinion and observation from reading this forum, Reddit, Facebook, etc.. My answer is an emphatic YES!

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

No way not at all. I've been following Rift and S progression closely for 6 months now trying to problem solve my issues and I do not see any patterns at all with effected hardware. I see just as many Intel users with problems as AMD users.

Good for Adam, but that's not what I see.  Perhaps I should have added home built PC's in to the mix too ?

Mine is OK, why do you think that is ?   Anyone can by a rig like mine, they are cheap enough and work.  It's nothing special - about 400 quid gets you one.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Umpa_PC said:

Mine is OK, why do you think that is ? 

For the exact reason I just said. The effected hardware is completely random. That's why you have the Rift S working ok on a low end store bought or homemade PC yet won't run on a myriad of high end PCs whether home built or not. This is exactly what you would expect when the problem is software based and not hardware based.