cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has the Rift s Gone to a worse state from the previous updates?

Bloopie
Protege
I've been lurking on the forums here while waiting for some cash to buy the rift s But i've seen alot of discussions with usb ports some not connecting well and some of them literally failing Should i still buy a headset next month?
23 REPLIES 23

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
See I don't think that is the reason at all.  Mine is a VR ready PC - says it all !
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Umpa_PC said:

See I don't think that is the reason at all.  Mine is a VR ready PC - says it all !

No it doesn't say it all, that is the problem. Every day we get a few more posts on this forum from someone saying that their PC says it is VR ready why won't it work? It meets Oculus's min specs why won't it work? It passes the VR ready test in SteamVr why won't it work? It won't work because the problem is with their driver/firmware and the problem has only gotten worse not better. I'm not going to convince you so that's fine but every topic like this you spread misinformation based on your one pc that works ok. Congrats but you clearly have no concept of the problem that so many are dealing with.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

Umpa_PC said:

No it doesn't say it all, that is the problem. Every day we get a few more posts on this forum from someone saying that their PC says it is VR ready why won't it work? 

Show me !
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Umpa_PC said:

No it doesn't say it all, that is the problem. Every day we get a few more posts on this forum from someone saying that their PC says it is VR ready why won't it work? It meets Oculus's min specs why won't it work? It passes the VR ready test in SteamVr why won't it work? It won't work because the problem is with their driver/firmware and the problem has only gotten worse not better. I'm not going to convince you so that's fine but every topic like this you spread misinformation based on your one pc that works ok. Congrats but you clearly have no concept of the problem that so many are dealing with.

To play fair - I handle a few of them and most of the ones start out that way until you break down their specs. Usually they are running a very old system and then complain it should work - but clearly they don't meet the required specs. Then there are others that want to force it to work - but even when they do - they run into a lot problems. I even see post of "new headsets" or "new computer" - but when question to when/where they bought the headset/computer - it always comes back to "I got it off ebay", "used", or "from a friend who got it 'new'". So "new" can mean a different thing to people depending on what they mean by "new".

Even then a lot of the problems people face are software problems and not hardware ones. The hardware ones are easy fixes in terms of getting a cable, usb hub, etc. While software can be much harder to nail down because everyone environment is different or simply just acts weird on their computer. I have some software even today from a multi-million dollar company that doesn't work period. So its not like its uncommon for software just not work in some cases (this is even after I physical hardware switch). A lot of the times the easy fix is to reinstall windows - but that is also harder to ask of someone as well either because they don't know how, lose some programs, or run the risk of losing data (even tho I like that software, I don't wanna reset my computer for that reason alone - nor am I going to just blame them for my error either).

Then there are some really l-jit problems. Like the payment system or shipping canceling orders. I went as far as to even ask Oculus about this and going to be following up to when they will get it fix (not for my sake - but for everyone elses in the forum) on when they might see a fix for it. But want to know how I got to that point? Its because I ask around. I gather information on each problem and figured out a common problem between everyone. Unfortunately it takes time to build up a case as well too and even then - the problem will never be fix over night either. But you know what tool I do have? The tool of knowledge that I can keep putting pressure on Oculus team to get that single problem fix. As they say - the squeaky wheel gets the oil.

Just a plug - if you are having a payment issue - please contact Oculus so they can mainly get it in for you - not all - but some of you are just having a billing issue cause by a government change over zip codes, the address it self, or information mismatch (name, address, zip, etc etc). Esp people in the Europe and Ireland area.