New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

v18 PTC PC Software Release Notes

ShowbizDonkeyShowbizDonkey Posts: 285 Oculus Staff
edited June 5 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Update 6/5/2020: With the latest PTC update, we have introduced a fix for the SteamVR tracking bug on Rift that some users have reported here on the forums. Please note, however, we are aware that some Quest + Link users may experience some odd tracking behavior if they have mismatched software builds (i.e. V17 on Quest, and V18 on the desktop software). If you experience any unexpected behavior using Link while on the v18 PTC, it is recommended that you opt out of PTC to get back to v17 until the v18 software update has been rolled out to your Quest headset later this month. Thanks!

---

Oculus Link

• Improved translation accuracy on predicted-poses. This improves the visual stability of up-close content under fast head motion.
  • Fixed an issue where a gamepad could not be paired if only Quest was paired with the Oculus desktop app.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented Quest from being detected by a PC event though it’s plugged into a compatible port. 

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,666 Valuable Player
    Just got 18.0.0.157.517
    Haven't done much with it yet but would like to note that after this update (and after restarting my PC) Oculus is now able to tell the difference between a USB 2 and a USB 3 connection. My HMD is now correctly detected as being connected to USB 3.

Given that the release notes don't mention a fix, I'm assuming that this was purely accidental, just as the original problem was.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• MrDood12MrDood12 Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    After installing this PTC version my cv1 did show up as correctly using USB 3.0. !HOWEVER! my cv1 touch controller had some serious tracking issues when in SteamVR. Whenever i'd make quick movements. my controllers would jump around. 

i used 4 sensors in total. 3 on usb 2.0, 1 on 3.0.

I hope you guys can look into it before releasing this issue on the stable version :)
  • jseamsjseams Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    Played around with the PTC and it does seem to improve Link stability. I had no problems getting on first try and played about an hour of AZ Sunshine with no issues switching back and forth to the Oculus Home. The only bug I experienced was when I was done playing and pressed the disable link button from inside Oculus Home, a confirmation window I have never seen before popped up first and then when I was back at the Quest Home I was plopped waaaay back in a corner of the room. Resetting the view or a long press on the right home button didn't work. I had to reset the Quest... first time I've encountered this bug. Had to reset the headset to fix it.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,659 Valuable Player
    Richooal said:
    Just got 18.0.0.157.517
    Haven't done much with it yet but would like to note that after this update (and after restarting my PC) Oculus is now able to tell the difference between a USB 2 and a USB 3 connection. My HMD is now correctly detected as being connected to USB 3.

Given that the release notes don't mention a fix, I'm assuming that this was purely accidental, just as the original problem was.
    Hopefully that is the case and more users that had this issue will have it fixed in this version.
    Also if that is case nice that at least something was included that was not just for Quest Link users...
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • XarstealthXarstealth Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    why put releases notes and new version for rift\Rift S too if has not any update since 4 month?
  • furegatofuregato Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    why put releases notes and new version for rift\Rift S too if has not any update since 4 month?

Because this is a SOFTWARE release, and since Quest and Rift uses the same software as an interface with the PC, Rift users get notified about all the software changes, even if it's only Quest changes.
    Cheers!
  • bitziebitzie Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist

To add further insult to injury for the fact that Oculus has abandoned the Rift S?
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    bitzie said:
    To add further insult to injury for the fact that Oculus has abandoned the Rift S?
    Is it a fact?

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • JakAzz425JakAzz425 Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    Has anyone Confirmed if this fixes the multitudes of Rift S's that are currently bricked,  and have been for a while now?
    Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme Z390 With 9900K / 970 Pro 1tb Boot Drive And WD Black 6tb Data Drive / 64GB Dominator Black / Strix 1080 TI / RMi1000 Watt / Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic / 2 Rad Custom Rigid Loop
  • TK.PrinceTK.Prince Posts: 63 Oculus Start Member
    Released today ?? And nothing about USB3.0/Displayport connexion issue ??????????
    JakAzz425 said:
    Has anyone Confirmed if this fixes the multitudes of Rift S's that are currently bricked,  and have been for a while now?
    Absolutly not fixed ...
  • JakAzz425JakAzz425 Posts: 6
    Brain Burst
    TK.Prince said:
    JakAzz425 said:
    Absolutly not fixed ...
    Glad to hear about current priorities........  Yea we got some quest stuff taken care of like Quest gets there gamepad,  but screw all the rift users who literally can do nothing due to Ineptitude....
    Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme Z390 With 9900K / 970 Pro 1tb Boot Drive And WD Black 6tb Data Drive / 64GB Dominator Black / Strix 1080 TI / RMi1000 Watt / Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic / 2 Rad Custom Rigid Loop
    Hiro Protagonist
    RattyUK said:
    bitzie said:
    Is it a fact?

A small bit of what should be obvious hyperbole. But just look at the improvements that Oculus has rolled out specifically for the Rift S over the last several updates. Don't worry. I'll wait as you try to find them.
    bitzie said:
    RattyUK said:
    bitzie said:
    Is it a fact?

A small bit of what should be obvious hyperbole. But just look at the improvements that Oculus has rolled out specifically for the Rift S over the last several updates. Don't worry. I'll wait as you try to find them.
    Since Quest, easy to find the answer ...
  • dan.m.griffithsdan.m.griffiths Posts: 40
    NerveGear
    edited May 29
    Rift S: Did nothing to correct my Display Port cable is not connected error.  USB 3 Green light.  Display port green light for 3-5 seconds then goes back to the searching circle.  Bah.  Loads of people are having this error up and down the forums, are you trying to correct it?  Getting massively pissed off now.
  • BloopieBloopie Posts: 17
    Brain Burst
    Jeez. Oculus your doing a terrible job to the community Maybe actually pay attention to the rift s platform Now i actually might not even order the rift s 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Bloopie said:
    Jeez. Oculus your doing a terrible job to the community Maybe actually pay attention to the rift s platform Now i actually might not even order the rift s 

I'm sure that the Reverb G2 announcement yesterday is exactly what Oculus wanted to have happen. Why would people buy the Rift S when a superior headset is coming out that is only a bit more expensive, especially compared to the Index? Finally Oculus can just let the Rift S completely die off and focus on the Quest.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    bitzie said:
    RattyUK said:
    bitzie said:
    Is it a fact?

Just sounded like the usual to me...
    My Rift S works fine, has done since the updates that finally fixed the random flashes and multiple Right Controllers.
    I'm honestly not bothered, do they need to 'fix' something that works, or update just for the sake of it?
    So I'm not worried...  but do smile over obvious hyperbole.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
    Bloopie said:
    If you have not bought a VR headset yet I'd advise you to get a Quest then.  If you are like me with a Rift cv1, buy it anyway, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• ZoralbackZoralback Posts: 7
    Brain Burst
    edited May 30
    Since this update my Touch controllers are jumping around ingame, doesn't happen on the dashboard though .

Rift S
    streamable.com/h6chei
    Rolling back to v17 fixes the issue

Cant post clickable links
    Hiro Protagonist
    is someone using the new major windows 10 update already?

i was on developer preview few weeks ago and 17.0 new driver was letting pc crash just having oculus app installed, cant even type password at reboot lol
    now i blocked update after back on pre 20h1 because im a lot worried that the problem isnt solved
    Hiro Protagonist
    bitzie said:
    Bloopie said:

I'm sure that the Reverb G2 announcement yesterday is exactly what Oculus wanted to have happen. Why would people buy the Rift S when a superior headset is coming out that is only a bit more expensive, especially compared to the Index? Finally Oculus can just let the Rift S completely die off and focus on the Quest.
    well yes but im not totally sure that the 599$ price is headset only or with controllers, i read just controllers can be purchased because works with most of wmr headsets, im a bit worried about lack of cameras but hey...lets see how it works ;)
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,522 Volunteer Moderator
    bitzie said:
    Bloopie said:

well yes but im not totally sure that the 599$ price is headset only or with controllers, i read just controllers can be purchased because works with most of wmr headsets, im a bit worried about lack of cameras but hey...lets see how it works ;)
    $600 includes the controllers. They said that because no other WMR controllers will be compatible with G2, they won’t sell the headset without them (although they will also sell the controllers alone for use with other WMR headsets). 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
    Remmer_G said:
    If you are like me with a Rift cv1, buy it anyway, lol!
    If you are like me and own a CV1, you will never buy another Facebook product.
    I'm very glad I'm not like you mate.  Your choice though of course.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,666 Valuable Player
    Well, I spoke too soon. Oculus has gone back to thinking that my USB HMD connection is USB2 instead of USB3.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

Me too, No displayport bug still here ...
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 812
    Trinity
    edited May 31
    TK.Prince said:
    Me too, No displayport bug still here ...
    What part of the original post made you think that would be fixed in this release.  There is nothing in this PCT for almost anyone - lol
    If there was a PTC that contained nothing then this must surely be it.
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • ADM1_AustinADM1_Austin Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'm getting major controller tracking miscalculations in SteamVR after updating to this latest PTC. The slightest controller shake is exaggerated x10, making all games using Steam unplayable. I recorded a video of what I'm talking about, but I'm not allowed to post links since this is my first forum post.

This does not happen on the live version. If this patch goes through, then I will not have access to 99% of my library.
    Also, this is on CV1.