New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Windows 10 May update is a mess. Has anyone else tried it?

RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,146 Valuable Player
Can I suggest you make an image of your HDD or SSD, if you are going to try the Windows 10 May's update. I updated and half my game shortcuts disappeared from my desktop. Has anyone else tried this update and had the same thing happen to them regarding shortcuts? I've now reverted back to 1909 without even looking to see what else it might have messed up.

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,815 Volunteer Moderator
    I usually update as soon as I can just to see how things are, but I may hold off on this one.

I'm not too worried about some of the stuff but there are reports of problems with nvidia drivers, which could be a big deal for some of us, if true.

It seems that Microsoft has stopped rolling it out automatically and it's now only triggered if you check for updates (apparently). It's not showing up for me either way which is no surprise, we seem to be amongst the last to get updates here, including the Oculus updates.

Dynamic disk development is halting, for people asking why Oculus don't allow installation on dynamic disks, maybe the writing was on the wall.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 5,580 Valuable Player
    edited June 1
    I've just gotten 1903 - forced by MS. I consider Windows 10 Updates the worst vira available - I try to avoid them like Covid-19. Lately a Win10 update took down a MSI (GTX 1060 VR ready) laptop - we could not fix it - had to send it to MSI for a warranty re-install (the laptop works fine with a total reinstall of Win10, but it only lasts to the first update - then it refuses to boot - just a black screen, tried tons of stuff to fix it, nothing has worked, and it was impossible to remove the update or reset the os - other users have had similar issues). No virus have ever done that kind of damage to me or my rigs (this wasn't my laptop though), causing many hours lost trying to repair the damage done by Windows Update. 

Windows 10 recently forced 1903 through to my rig, even though I have selected "metered connection" - seems like Win10 does not allow the os being too old, lol.

I've never experienced any advantages of these updates. My rig is only used for Oculus VR and Steam, I don't even have Office installed. 

Seems that when I eventually am being forced to update, the updates have been corrected for most errors. Being 1 year behind has been working great so far  o:)

I'd update right now to the newest version if that made my fps in VR games 5+ % faster, lol.  
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 805
    3Jane
    One of the joys of W10 pro is pausing updates for a week to see what happens, and it has not failed me yet. ;)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
    With win10 1909 you can now pause Win10 Feature Updates for up to 365 days now.  I'm currently on 1909 and this works well for me.  I've currently paused 2004 feature update for 30 days and I'll review this later to see if initial bugs have been sorted out before going to this.  Also to see if new 2004 based nvidia drivers are working well.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,146 Valuable Player
    edited June 1
    I won't be rushing into another windows update again anytime soon. The first problem I had when my computer booted up after the update was that it didn't recognize my user name. Then the shortcuts went missing before I did the most stupid thing ever. I accidentally restored an image of my second computer that's full of crap to my highend gaming Pc. Should have seen the look on my face when I saw my gaming rig come to life as my old shitty computer and all my usb devices began installing :D
    I also had any remaining smile removed from my face when I tried to restore the correct image I had created for this computer. Because I then got the massage that there was too many partitions to restore the proper image back. When I looked in Disk manager I had 2 MBR for the windows drive and 4 partitions. I then had to fart arse around taking the hard drive out of my Pc and delete the partitions using an external SSD enclosure.
    @DaftnDirect - I got the update by visiting Microsoft site and getting the update tool. Now I feel like a tool without the update.
    edited June 1
    RedRizla said:
    @DaftnDirect - I got the update by visiting Microsoft site and getting the update tool. Now I feel like a tool without the update.
    Yeah, I've gone that route before to update when it hasn't rolled out quick enough for me!
    This time, I'll be taking your advice though and waiting, Windows has been very reliable for me for a long time now, so I'll give them some leeway on this.

I still don't like some of the apps and the overlap and duplications that's there, Groove is a poor substitute for WMP, same deal with Edge and IE, although IE is becoming unusable as it's not supported by many sites now. Mail is also a poor substitute for Outlook. Then there's Control Panel and Settings, argh! pick one of each program and make it full featured, then get rid of the other.

But other than that stuff, super reliable.

Edit: and the Start menu is still a mess, combination of an unorganisable list and metro style tiles... never use either. Type into the search bar to launch programs and I've pinned the old start menu to the task bar cos that's still usable.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.330)
    RedRizla said:
    Yeah, I've gone that route before to update when it hasn't rolled out quick enough for me!
    This time, I'll be taking your advice though and waiting, Windows has been very reliable for me for a long time now, so I'll give them some leeway on this.

I still don't like some of the apps and the overlap and duplications that's there, Groove is a poor substitute for WMP, same deal with Edge and IE, although IE is becoming unusable as it's not supported by many sites now. Mail is also a poor substitute for Outlook. Then there's Control Panel and Settings, argh! pick one of each program and make it full featured, then get rid of the other.

But other than that stuff, super reliable.
    There's a lot of stuff I don't like about Windows 10. I always have to go though a load of settings to basically switch everything off. I just about turn everything off in the Windows 10 Privacy settings and then download Spybot Anti-Beacon and use the recommended settings in that app to switch even more stuff off.
  • MegalithikMegalithik Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    I always push off the updates until they flat out won't let me push it out anymore and force it down my throat.  lol.
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 812
    Trinity
    I never rush to update.  Why fix something that works.  The only software that i do update is Oculus, and thats to get it out of the way - so I can play.  
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,190
    Wintermute
    TomCgcmfc said:
    With win10 1909 you can now pause Win10 Feature Updates for up to 365 days now.  I'm currently on 1909 and this works well for me.
    I'm still on 1809...  sooner or later I'll probably have a forced update, but for now B)

PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,659 Valuable Player
    I like getting updates fast myself. However I keep checking and so far the May update is not offered to me yet.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,309 Valuable Player
    I find it funny that they are saying that it is the fault of "Our PC's"

Yeah that's a slightly weird way of describing it... your device isn't quite ready for it!
    Somehow your device will change and become ready, the update isn't going to be revised then :|
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,721 Valuable Player
    edited June 4
    Mine updated and haven't noticed any issues. I let mine update at will. I haven't noticed anything new either really though except some weird blue splash screen when it did it. I saw something about new cortana or something but i never use it. I also keep my windows pretty stripped down and bare for performance reasons. I'm sure I'll run across whatever they did eventually lol.

Well I'm not sure why half my gaming shortcuts disappeared, I can't figure that one out. I did install it fresh on my old Dell 310 computers though and didn't have a problem when I installed it fresh. Not sure why some computers are not ready when something as old as a Dell 310 is ready. Maybe that's Microsoft's way of saying don't blame use if you computer gets screwed up like mine did.
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 334
    Trinity
    edited June 5
    I always immidiately update and never had issues. We'll see how this goes. If you don't hear from me it's probably all fine.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,132
    Wintermute
    Thmoas said:
    I always immidiately update and never had issues. We'll see how this goes. If you don't hear from me it's probably all fine.

Sure?

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

Thmoas said:
    I though it would be the other way around to be honest. If we don't hear from you then it messed up you PC and your spending days reinstalling everything unless you have made backup image before updating.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,659 Valuable Player
    edited June 5
    RedRizla said:
    Thmoas said:
    I though it would be the other way around to be honest. If we don't hear from you then it messed up you PC and your spending days reinstalling everything unless you have made backup image before updating.
    Usually these large version updates to Windows 10 creates a backup that you can restore to until you clean it out.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    edited June 5
    RattyUK said:
    TomCgcmfc said:
    With win10 1909 you can now pause Win10 Feature Updates for up to 365 days now.  I'm currently on 1909 and this works well for me.
    I'm still on 1809...  sooner or later I'll probably have a forced update, but for now B)

Whoa ... 1809  :o

Did you do anything special to keep 1809?

There's software to stop all updates, but seems some drivers will expire, so that may not be a great idea. I did try that for some months, but suddenly I lost my Bluetooth (and keyboard connection :#  ) - I think metered connection works best, it won't download big thing until forced, but will update smaller and critical stuff... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited June 5
    People should update to 1909 because I find that's the best update. You also need 1909 if you are going to purchase the HP G2 or you will run into problems with WMR. I find 1909 much better than 1803 or 1903. The May update seems fine if you do a fresh install and it's also got features for improving games.
    I'll probably do clean reinstall when I update my comp around the time the Geforce 3080ti arrives. I don't have problems with the May update on my Dell 310, but I don't game on that or anything.
    Hmm, to me Win10 is like this ball, and it gets bigger for every update. I just want a nice small ball  o:) 

edited June 5
    RuneSR2 said:
    Hmm, to me Win10 is like this ball, and it gets bigger for every update. I just want a nice small ball  o:) 

I agree and preferably one that's not full of shit like in your pic :p
    RedRizla said:
    RuneSR2 said:

I agree and preferably one that's not full of shit like in your pic :p
    Of course experiences may vary if you have a WMR hmds and profit from the updates - but I only use Oculus Store and Steam. I actually try to uninstall everything else. I don't even have OneDrive  o:) The only purpose of my VR rig is to run games as fast as possible. I have several other desktops and laptops for office and internet surfing. I don't mind updating those (that much).