cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 May update is a mess. Has anyone else tried it?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Can I suggest you make an image of your HDD or SSD, if you are going to try the Windows 10 May's update. I updated and half my game shortcuts disappeared from my desktop. Has anyone else tried this update and had the same thing happen to them regarding shortcuts? I've now reverted back to 1909 without even looking to see what else it might have messed up.
24 REPLIES 24

I usually update as soon as I can just to see how things are, but I may hold off on this one.

I'm not too worried about some of the stuff but there are reports of problems with nvidia drivers, which could be a big deal for some of us, if true.

It seems that Microsoft has stopped rolling it out automatically and it's now only triggered if you check for updates (apparently). It's not showing up for me either way which is no surprise, we seem to be amongst the last to get updates here, including the Oculus updates.

Dynamic disk development is halting, for people asking why Oculus don't allow installation on dynamic disks, maybe the writing was on the wall.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I've just gotten 1903 - forced by MS. I consider Windows 10 Updates the worst vira available - I try to avoid them like Covid-19. Lately a Win10 update took down a MSI (GTX 1060 VR ready) laptop - we could not fix it - had to send it to MSI for a warranty re-install (the laptop works fine with a total reinstall of Win10, but it only lasts to the first update - then it refuses to boot - just a black screen, tried tons of stuff to fix it, nothing has worked, and it was impossible to remove the update or reset the os - other users have had similar issues). No virus have ever done that kind of damage to me or my rigs (this wasn't my laptop though), causing many hours lost trying to repair the damage done by Windows Update. 

Windows 10 recently forced 1903 through to my rig, even though I have selected "metered connection" - seems like Win10 does not allow the os being too old, lol.

I've never experienced any advantages of these updates. My rig is only used for Oculus VR and Steam, I don't even have Office installed. 

Seems that when I eventually am being forced to update, the updates have been corrected for most errors. Being 1 year behind has been working great so far  o:)

I'd update right now to the newest version if that made my fps in VR games 5+ % faster, lol.  

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
One of the joys of W10 pro is pausing updates for a week to see what happens, and it has not failed me yet. 😉
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
With win10 1909 you can now pause Win10 Feature Updates for up to 365 days now.  I'm currently on 1909 and this works well for me.  I've currently paused 2004 feature update for 30 days and I'll review this later to see if initial bugs have been sorted out before going to this.  Also to see if new 2004 based nvidia drivers are working well.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I won't be rushing into another windows update again anytime soon. The first problem I had when my computer booted up after the update was that it didn't recognize my user name. Then the shortcuts went missing before I did the most stupid thing ever. I accidentally restored an image of my second computer that's full of crap to my highend gaming Pc. Should have seen the look on my face when I saw my gaming rig come to life as my old shitty computer and all my usb devices began installing 😄
I also had any remaining smile removed from my face when I tried to restore the correct image I had created for this computer. Because I then got the massage that there was too many partitions to restore the proper image back. When I looked in Disk manager I had 2 MBR for the windows drive and 4 partitions. I then had to fart arse around taking the hard drive out of my Pc and delete the partitions using an external SSD enclosure.
@DaftnDirect - I got the update by visiting Microsoft site and getting the update tool. Now I feel like a tool without the update.

RedRizla said:

@DaftnDirect - I got the update by visiting Microsoft site and getting the update tool. Now I feel like a tool without the update.

Yeah, I've gone that route before to update when it hasn't rolled out quick enough for me!
This time, I'll be taking your advice though and waiting, Windows has been very reliable for me for a long time now, so I'll give them some leeway on this.

I still don't like some of the apps and the overlap and duplications that's there, Groove is a poor substitute for WMP, same deal with Edge and IE, although IE is becoming unusable as it's not supported by many sites now. Mail is also a poor substitute for Outlook. Then there's Control Panel and Settings, argh! pick one of each program and make it full featured, then get rid of the other.

But other than that stuff, super reliable.

Edit: and the Start menu is still a mess, combination of an unorganisable list and metro style tiles... never use either. Type into the search bar to launch programs and I've pinned the old start menu to the task bar cos that's still usable.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RedRizla said:

Yeah, I've gone that route before to update when it hasn't rolled out quick enough for me!
This time, I'll be taking your advice though and waiting, Windows has been very reliable for me for a long time now, so I'll give them some leeway on this.

I still don't like some of the apps and the overlap and duplications that's there, Groove is a poor substitute for WMP, same deal with Edge and IE, although IE is becoming unusable as it's not supported by many sites now. Mail is also a poor substitute for Outlook. Then there's Control Panel and Settings, argh! pick one of each program and make it full featured, then get rid of the other.

But other than that stuff, super reliable.

There's a lot of stuff I don't like about Windows 10. I always have to go though a load of settings to basically switch everything off. I just about turn everything off in the Windows 10 Privacy settings and then download Spybot Anti-Beacon and use the recommended settings in that app to switch even more stuff off.

Megalithik
Expert Protege
I always push off the updates until they flat out won't let me push it out anymore and force it down my throat.  lol.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star
I never rush to update.  Why fix something that works.  The only software that i do update is Oculus, and thats to get it out of the way - so I can play.  
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.