Did you mean: 

HP Reverb G2 - collaboration between HP, Valve and Microsoft

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
https://youtu.be/cz9wHbOOjpw

More here - sounds big with HP working together with Valve and Microsoft:

https://uploadvr.com/hp-reverb-g2-teased/

1coeczfe0b7v.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

240 REPLIES 240

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sometimes us old dogs just bark it out xD Even though I am not that old o.o; 25 lol

Megalithik
Expert Protege
If this thing can track as well as a Rift S, i'll be making the switch.  Been looking for a viable alternative to Oculus that doesn't cost a grand.  I liked the original Reverb but its tracking sucked so i never bought it, also it was tied to the WMR which also sucked.  This new one is lookign really good though on paper, it just needs to track properly in the blind spots.

inovator
Consultant

If this thing can track as well as a Rift S, i'll be making the switch.  Been looking for a viable alternative to Oculus that doesn't cost a grand.  I liked the original Reverb but its tracking sucked so i never bought it, also it was tied to the WMR which also sucked.  This new one is lookign really good though on paper, it just needs to track properly in the blind spots.

I totally agree. I don't think valve would want their name on something bad so I'm hopeful.
 After the reviews and after allowing a few months to go buy if it's still good it's a buy for me too. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah well it is still tied to WMR. Hopefully will be better though. I will wait for user feedback.

pyroth309
Visionary
WMR really isn't bad. My typical session... I grab my headset, I go to my computer and launch Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR. I put my headset on and I'm in the SteamVR home like every other Steam headset. It's really not a big deal. You do have the cliff house if you prefer but I personally don't use it except to adjust my floor height if it needs adjusting. I just use my SteamVR home for everything. Supersampling and all that is just done like your normally would in SteamVR.

On a related note they updated WMR for SteamVR today. Still updates rolling out.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Glad to hear that WMR is improving but I don't understand why it still needs the extra layer of SteamVR to operate.  That is, SteamVR, WMR for SteamVR, and WMR unlike Oculus that only need the base SteamVR and it's base Oculus app.  Not a separate SteamVR for Oculus app.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

pyroth309
Visionary

TomCgcmfc said:

Glad to hear that WMR is improving but I don't understand why it still needs the extra layer of SteamVR to operate.  That is, SteamVR, WMR for SteamVR, and WMR unlike Oculus that only need the base SteamVR and it's base Oculus app.  Not a separate SteamVR for Oculus app.

Shrug, I'd guess it's because WMR has different re-projection and tech than SteamVR and has its own settings. Also WMR was able to run at 60 FPS before SteamVR added the ability to change frame rates so that's probably a factor as well. Those settings are contained in the WMR for SteamVR folder within steam. Perhaps that's the plan with them putting their settings into SteamVR and Microsoft becoming a lot more friendly with Valve.

Either way it's a mouse click and you're in SteamVR.  Also, for a lot of people, once they install it and have steam up, just slipping the headset on launches them in SteamVR. For whatever reason, sometimes mine will go to the cliffhouse so I just launch WMR for Steam when i'm ready to play and it always goes into steam. (WMR For SteamVR opens SteamVR as well)

Wildt
Consultant
The WMR software has been a bit of a pain for me. It constantly crashes my nvidia drivers if my monitor isn't set to something standard like 1080p/60, which I tend to forget.
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@pyroth309 - I think some people's idea of WMR tracking been bad is because it doesn't use 4 camera's like the Rift S and losses tracking where the Rift S doesn't. That's the only reason I can think these people are saying that WMR tracking sucks. That's a bit like saying the Rift S tracking sucks though because it can't track your controllers behind your back without a camera there.
I would have sent my HP Reverb back if it had really bad tracking and I'm sure you would have done the same with the Samsung VR headset. I do have to laugh when people say it's bad when it's not. Like I've already said in a previous post when the camera's can see your controllers the tracking is fine in WMR.
I've not had chance to use my HP Reverb for a while now and just wondered about the ASW you are talking about in Steam. Does WMR now have a setting in steam to switch on ASW for WMR? I usually have to go into the WMR for Steam folder and mess about changing some text to get ASW for WMR to work with Steam. Where is this setting if Steam include this now, please?
@Wildt - That's either a corrupt driver or something on your Computer causing that. I've never had this happen. I know the latest Nvidia driver is crap though and I had to revert back to the previous one. Here's the problem I had with the latest Nvidia driver in this link below. I couldn't even go into the Nvida Control Panel.

pyroth309
Visionary

Wildt said:

The WMR software has been a bit of a pain for me. It constantly crashes my nvidia drivers if my monitor isn't set to something standard like 1080p/60, which I tend to forget.

Ouch that blows, glad I haven't hit that.

RedRizla said:

@pyroth309 - I think some people's idea of WMR tracking been bad is because it doesn't use 4 camera's like the Rift S and losses some tracking where the Rift S doesn't. That's the only reason I can think these people are saying that WMR tracking sucks. That's a bit like saying the Rift S tracking sucks though, just because it can't track your controllers behind your back, knowing it doesn't have a camera on the back of the headset.
I would have sent my HP Reverb back if it had really bad tracking and I'm sure you would have done the same with the Samsung VR headset. I do have to laugh when people say it's bad when it's not at all. Like I've already said in a previous post when the camera's can see your controllers the tracking is fine.
Not had chance to use my HP Reverb for a bit now and was just wonder about the ASW you are talking about in Steam. Does WMR now have a setting in steam to switch on ASW and where is the setting if it does please? I usually have to go into the WMR for Steam and mess about changing some text to get ASW for WMR to work with Steam.

Yea exactly. Look, I'm not trying to say someone should buy a current gen WMR at this point. That ship has sailed. I was just commenting that with only two cameras, it gives close to a quest like experience. The biggest noticeable difference is up above. Quest tracks the hands above your head much better because the WMR cameras aren't able to see up there. But like you said, where it can see it's great.

Yea it's in beta atm instructions are here - https://steamcommunity.com/app/719950/allnews
From what it sounds like, they're actually using the Steam Motion Smoothing on top of the WMR head reprojection. At least with Steam Motion Smoothing you can set it on a per application basis.

In other news, the config file editing stuff is going away very soon. Found this snippet from TymAtMSFT.
We know modifying that file is awful. We're working on an actual
settings UI for changing those, but it's not quite ready yet. However,
the next beta release will include support for using the SteamVR motion
reprojection setting in addition to our own so that you won't have to
modify a file to enable it. Hopefully that'll help resolve these issues.