New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift S Cable replacement?

After a year of extremely frequent use, a knot in my Rift S's cable seems to have ruined the display; upon movement of that knot the whole display goes black. Anybody know where I can acquire a replacement? I've already talked to support without any conclusive responses.

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,309 Valuable Player
    Please search next time.  There are PLENTY of topics regarding this and they have all already been answered.

Hope you find your answer.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,522 Volunteer Moderator
    The Rift S cable used to be available on the Oculus store under Accessories, but it had been absent for several months now. I would continue talking to support, as there seems to be no option to buy a replacement currently.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
    After a year of extremely frequent use, a knot in my Rift S's cable seems to have ruined the display; upon movement of that knot the whole display goes black. Anybody know where I can acquire a replacement? I've already talked to support without any conclusive responses.
    Just contact Oculus support and ask them for help.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• XarstealthXarstealth Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 1
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Just contact Oculus support and ask them for help.
    lol did u read his message till the end? 

btw...ok i can believe that cables are just out of stock but...left and right pad are still on the store AND out of stock...but not the cable...

just to me looks like they stopped at all to suport rifts as with cv1 that dont have anymore spare parts ?
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
    edited June 1
    Well all you can do is keep asking imho.  What do you expect us forum users to do for you?  

If you are still under warranty request either a replacement or refund.  Not sure what else you can do mate.  Good luck.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, PCI-E PCI Express to USB 3.1 Gen 2 card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• MegalithikMegalithik Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    There is a replacement cable but it's out of stock.  They said they are going to be making more but right now it's not really a priority.
  • Umpa_PCUmpa_PC Posts: 812
    Trinity
    There is a replacement cable but it's out of stock.  They said they are going to be making more but right now it's not really a priority.
    Was that from a support ticket ?
    Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
    MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
    MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
    16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.
    Hiro Protagonist
    probably they will produce 3 or 4 more in the next year just because they are forced to provide theme for 2 years...
    Rift S is dead, and they dont want to say it because of legal actions
  • MegalithikMegalithik Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Umpa_PC said:
    Support response to a reddit post a while ago asking when the tether cable will be available again.

Trinity
    probably they will produce 3 or 4 more in the next year just because they are forced to provide theme for 2 years...
    Possibly but I hope not.  Only had mine in January I would like to think they will continue to provide replacement parts for some years to come, having learned from earlier mistakes with the CV1.  I guess time will tell...
    Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
    Trinity
    Umpa_PC said:
    Support response to a reddit post a while ago asking when the tether cable will be available again.

That's bizarre because I don't think they even post here.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Umpa_PC said:
    Possibly but I hope not.  Only had mine in January I would like to think they will continue to provide replacement parts for some years to come, having learned from earlier mistakes with the CV1.  I guess time will tell...
    me too of course, but i got it in march..and just after 30 days to give it back i realised that rift s is already dead..if it was not..they had 6 months since last update for rift S too..to say something of what they want to do on rift S, its stupid dont say anything  about future plans to keep having new customers buying rift S when in last months its fking full of new cabled headsets , its just marketing when u want prevent ppl buy other brand... leaks usually are the first marketing approach when dont want to reveal too much and after u reveal plans....they did it for quest 2 just 2 months ago releasing some leaks about the jedi controller and the new headset, after some week we had confirmation for quest 2 in 2021 more or less...

so...my personal deduction is "they dont care, rift is not their goal" because cant provide enough personal infos to facebook wich quest can do better only just in understanding where u play if always in home or outside or everything else.. im really worried about eye tracking in facebook hands too...but will talk in 2 years about that hehe
  • DesaderataDesaderata Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    it is frustrating that after only 4 months i now have to buy a new cable but for some reason occulas doesn't have due to shutdown Corvis-19 or that the issue of running a chair or other ways destroys the cable so often that they cant keep them in stock.    the only place I could find the replacement on ebay and is freaking expensive at 137 American plus delivery from china.  some of the comments seemed to imply that Occulus is not selling Rift s anymore and only has a commitment to 2 years of parts and support.  I just bought mine in January 2020 but thought this was fairly new.  there is the issue the quest can do the job with only a small tether usb cable to access PC or Steam vr. and has the benefit of wireless if using Oculus site.  the cost of a cable from a 3rd party vendor costing 1/3 of the price of the headset.  That's just bad business and will push me away from OCulus as poorly supported and to costly when or if available.  result is a loss of trust and low confidence to buy another unit from Occulus.  and they way this is going it will probably be replaced sooner then later.  I love VR and more than month without a fix is unacceptable when i can go on Amazon or best buy and have a new unit (not Occulus, I dont support incompetence)within days or that day.   The crappy  part is i have a few games on the Oculas site that i doubt i can access on say a vibe.  

Lastly I know i didn't spell oculus right once and i really dont care :}
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 805
    3Jane
    ^^If you have only had the unit for 4 months then get in touch with the retailer you bought it from the return it for a new one.
  • RiCHeeGeeRiCHeeGee Posts: 15
    Brain Burst
    I received a Rift S replacement cable free of charge last year, I've also had my headset replaced three times and I'm now awaiting the fourth one since the tracking eventually dies. If the cables they are selling are wearing out within warranty they should replace them and make a better quality product in future.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 12
    i dont think they dont sell on official store because covid shortage...right and left pads was out of stock too for couple of week but still present in store with the write "sold out", replacement cable has been removed from store...and even before the first year selling when they have to guarantee theme for 2 years ...but they still sell rift S on the store! 
    i have mine since half of march and its like i bought some vintage console of 1980 years
    im really pissed off about facebook customers management, just machines who give money and personal datas for free