Did you mean: 

HP Reverb G2 - collaboration between HP, Valve and Microsoft

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
https://youtu.be/cz9wHbOOjpw

More here - sounds big with HP working together with Valve and Microsoft:

https://uploadvr.com/hp-reverb-g2-teased/

1coeczfe0b7v.png

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

240 REPLIES 240

inovator
Consultant
 There is no way 2 cameras will give a quest like experience as mentioned previously. I have the rift s and  the quest which are very comparable to having great tracking. And I agree with the comment above that the reverb with 2 cameras doesn't suck for what it is. It does a good job with the 2 cameras it has. But physically 2 cameras can't  work well for certain games. That is why the reverb is so popular amongst sim users where 2 cameras work great. 4 cameras on the reverb 2 if done right could work great with everything. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Coverage of your tracking still is a big part of the over all tracing though. This was discuss to death in other threads with the Rift S vs Quest threads. More coverage for an already working tracking method means less "issues" with in games. While I like the Quest - I can still tell the differences between CV1 or Rift S to that of Quest because of coverage. There is ways to improve this of coarse as we saw in the leaks on the new controllers from Oculus with better IMUs and other tracking point data. 

pyroth309
Visionary

inovator said:

There is no way 2 cameras will give a quest like experience as mentioned previously. I have the rift s and  the quest which are very comparable to having great tracking. And I agree with the comment above that the reverb with 2 cameras doesn't suck for what it is. It does a good job with the 2 cameras it has. But physically 2 cameras can't  work well for certain games. That is why the reverb is so popular amongst sim users where 2 cameras work great. 4 cameras on the reverb 2 if done right could work great with everything. 

I said the Quest is better but it's not a huge difference was my point. I've compared O+ and Quest side by side many times. WMR does some things better like I can smash the controller into the center of the headset and the tracking is still strong which is great for FPS. I'm assuming this is because the controllers are so much larger. The most significant difference is reaching high above, like windlands or reaching down low and still looking straight. WMR comes up short here. To be blunt, it sucks. But all of the most common VR motion areas the cameras pick up on. I've used both in beat saber several times on expert and expert + and they both come up short to me with losing tracking but Quest has the advantage on maps with a lot of high blocks unless I make myself a giant in the game. To me, both are playable up to expert and beyond that it's time to get a better tracking system. Now, I don't know if it's jsut my arms occluding or what but I will lose tracking and even one hiccup is enough to tank my score.

Anyway, it's irrelevant at this point, I'm not trying to sell anyone on WMR 1.0 lol. I was just trying to convey that considering what they did with just two cameras, I'm excited to see what happens with 4. I'm thinking with the alignment on them though, down by the hip may be able to be caught but up above is probably still going to be crappy without looking up.

inovator
Consultant

pyroth309 said:

inovator said:

I said the Quest is better but it's not a huge difference was my point. I've compared O+ and Quest side by side many times. WMR does some things better like I can smash the controller into the center of the headset and the tracking is still strong which is great for FPS. I'm assuming this is because the controllers are so much larger. The most significant difference is reaching high above, like windlands or reaching down low and still looking straight. WMR comes up short here. To be blunt, it sucks. But all of the most common VR motion areas the cameras pick up on. I've used both in beat saber several times on expert and expert + and they both come up short to me with losing tracking but Quest has the advantage on maps with a lot of high blocks unless I make myself a giant in the game. To me, both are playable up to expert and beyond that it's time to get a better tracking system. Now, I don't know if it's jsut my arms occluding or what but I will lose tracking and even one hiccup is enough to tank my score.

Anyway, it's irrelevant at this point, I'm not trying to sell anyone on WMR 1.0 lol. I was just trying to convey that considering what they did with just two cameras, I'm excited to see what happens with 4. I'm thinking with the alignment on them though, down by the hip may be able to be caught but up above is probably still going to be crappy without looking up.

You would know better than I how it is with 2 cameras since I never used the reverb 1. I think based on what you say reverb did about as good as you could do with 2 cameras which makes 4 cameras on g2 look promising.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Hmm, yeah, I like to put my resin slowly in my backpack in Alyx, so I hold my hand with the resin for at least 30 seconds on the back behind my neck everytime. So far no problems with that  B)

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary

inovator said:

You would know better than I how it is with 2 cameras since I never used the reverb 1. I think based on what you say reverb did about as good as you could do with 2 cameras which makes 4 cameras on g2 look promising.

Yea, what they did with only 2 cameras is impressive, but it fell short of being good enough for all VR games.

With the 4 cameras on the Reverb G2 and if they work as well individually as the two on current WMR do....I'd wager you're going to have a lot more consistency in games like beat saber when you're swinging from the sides for long periods of time. Also games like 2MD football where you're doing a throwing motion which is out of camera. (Currently you rely on the 2 second prediction in a lot of the throws and you can get some errant throws if you take too long). And even for some reaching as long as you aren't reaching straight up, those side cameras should catch it. I'm looking forward to hear hands on reviews.

Also, this was a video i posted last year some time when we were talking about WMR. This is me playing beat saber on my odyssey on expert. I can't do any better than this on my Quest. I didn't realize the SteamVR thing was in the way as I started the capture from in the headset lol. 

inovator
Consultant

Also, this was a video i posted last year some time when we were talking about WMR. This is me playing beat saber on my odyssey on expert. I can't do any better than this on my Quest. I didn't realize the SteamVR thing was in the way as I started the capture from in the headset lol. 

That's impressive. I'm starting to get a little more excited about possibly owning the g2 with 2nd to none visuals. If this was an oculus product I would preorder.

Anonymous
Not applicable
One thing I would make note of - I find it really funny that WMR and Oculus both use optical tracking - but they went to Steam for the game/store support and not Oculus. It makes me wonder if this will hurt Oculus more and more as time continues not working with others and trying to be their own "thing".

inovator
Consultant

Mradr said:

One thing I would make note of - I find it really funny that WMR and Oculus both use optical tracking - but they went to Steam for the game/store support and not Oculus. It makes me wonder if this will hurt Oculus more and more as time continues not working with others and trying to be their own "thing".

I think they went to steam only because oculus is a closed system. Oculus originally was going to nix revive but there was to much push back so they allowed it.

Luciferous
Consultant