cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 May update is a mess. Has anyone else tried it?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Can I suggest you make an image of your HDD or SSD, if you are going to try the Windows 10 May's update. I updated and half my game shortcuts disappeared from my desktop. Has anyone else tried this update and had the same thing happen to them regarding shortcuts? I've now reverted back to 1909 without even looking to see what else it might have messed up.
24 REPLIES 24

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RattyUK said:

TomCgcmfc said:

With win10 1909 you can now pause Win10 Feature Updates for up to 365 days now.  I'm currently on 1909 and this works well for me.

I'm still on 1809...  sooner or later I'll probably have a forced update, but for now B)

Whoa ... 1809  😮

Did you do anything special to keep 1809?

There's software to stop all updates, but seems some drivers will expire, so that may not be a great idea. I did try that for some months, but suddenly I lost my Bluetooth (and keyboard connection :#  ) - I think metered connection works best, it won't download big thing until forced, but will update smaller and critical stuff... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
People should update to 1909 because I find that's the best update. You also need 1909 if you are going to purchase the HP G2 or you will run into problems with WMR. I find 1909 much better than 1803 or 1903. The May update seems fine if you do a fresh install and it's also got features for improving games.
I'll probably do clean reinstall when I update my comp around the time the Geforce 3080ti arrives. I don't have problems with the May update on my Dell 310, but I don't game on that or anything.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Hmm, to me Win10 is like this ball, and it gets bigger for every update. I just want a nice small ball  o:) 

8pf9rbreb6f4.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Hmm, to me Win10 is like this ball, and it gets bigger for every update. I just want a nice small ball  o:) 

8pf9rbreb6f4.jpg

I agree and preferably one that's not full of shit like in your pic 😛

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

RuneSR2 said:

8pf9rbreb6f4.jpg

I agree and preferably one that's not full of shit like in your pic 😛

Of course experiences may vary if you have a WMR hmds and profit from the updates - but I only use Oculus Store and Steam. I actually try to uninstall everything else. I don't even have OneDrive  o:) The only purpose of my VR rig is to run games as fast as possible. I have several other desktops and laptops for office and internet surfing. I don't mind updating those (that much).