cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus sent empty box.

BakiTheFox
Sightseer
Hello, my friend ordered me the Oculus Rift S for my birthday last week or so when everything came back in stock and it said the date was for June 10th to arrive. Well, it had arrived on 6/3/2020. The box did. Nothing else.

The whole thing is strange about it. So I got up was reading my emails and checked the tracking to just see where it was at and it said "Delivered". I thought you had to sign for these kinds of things and I wasn't expecting it so soon. I was so excited! And then I lifted the box.. My heart sank because I knew something just wasn't right. The box was light as a feather. I look all around the box to see if there was any tampering and the UPS label was very much intact. It hadn't been cut, I've worked in cardboard and packing factories where I can tell when there's been a botched job. There was no tearing on the cardboard, it was a perfectly sealed box. It was sealed with nothing in it. I took it to my friend who ordered it and had them open it. There was literally nothing in the box. No shipping label, no paper, nothing. Completely empty. I was shattered.

First thing I did was call UPS to complain that I just received an empty box from Oculus that was supposed to weigh 8.6 pounds and wasn't checked by the courier and they said file a claim. I did not file a claim through UPS because it's not about the money. They said to check the label and call the warehouse. The day after I get a hold of the warehouse and they said that they're just the warehouse, they're where everything that comes in from customs is received and then relayed to UPS. They don't pack the boxes. I was told to call the number on the label on the box or the email that came with it. Oculus doesn't have a phone number but I tried calling Facebook support which lead me to an oculus number. It was a robotic voice saying to go to the support web page. 

My friend submitted a ticket and was asked to send in pictures of the empty box, perhaps for confirmation of the label? I know mistakes happen in packing factories, I've seen a lot of empty boxes go down the line that I've stopped myself. We're waiting for a response back from Oculus/AKA Facebook Technologies LLC in hopes that they can find it an send it out.

I don't want my friend to have to get a refund. I just want the thing they bought to get here and it be over and done with. Here's to hoping and that my patience comes to fruition and isn't just another empty box.

I'll reply to this after we get a response and how it's handled so everyone can have peace of mind that is also having this same issue.

Update: It turns out my friend did file a claim and UPS came yesterday to pick the box up. I'll keep you all posted, hopefully we will hear something monday.

Update 6/8/2020: We received a response from Oculus stating they're looking into why we were sent an empty box. Hopefully it's all resolved soon and we can all have answers.
8 REPLIES 8

konuia
Protege
With all these "protesters" looting right now it might be possible your Rift S was grabbed by some greedy bastard. Hopefully this isnt the case because that would mean im screwed as well. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I get a lot of packages from FedEx - they always weigh the box, I'd believe UPS does the same. If UPS weighed the box and it was 8.6 pounds, it may help track down when the content of the box was removed. Might be a difficult case to prove - you might need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the content was removed before you got the box. I alway take picures when opening very expensive items, but Rift-S might not fit that category... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

I was trying to find out if UPS weigh everything and the consensus seems to be they don't.
Apparently they weigh if the package is obviously heavier than stated, to prevent under-payment of postage... and also some random selections. I'm not even sure if they keep records of what they do weigh. This may also differ depending on the region.

It just isn't a great situation if the end consumer can't trace where the problem occurs. There must be accountability at each stage.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I was trying to find out if UPS weigh everything and the consensus seems to be they don't.
Apparently they weigh if the package is obviously heavier than stated, to prevent under-payment of postage... and also some random selections. I'm not even sure if they keep records of what they do weigh. This may also differ depending on the region.

It just isn't a great situation if the end consumer can't trace where the problem occurs. There must be accountability at each stage.

Then there's probably not much else to do than to contact Oculus. I know some claimed that Valve had sent empty boxes too, I think that was Index controllers - and I think Valve sent out new ones in those cases (and Valve has sent out some pre-production units by error - so surely errors can happen). Not sure I remember similar cases from Oculus and the outcome.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Yeah definitely, anyone this happens to should send in a ticket straight away. If it becomes a big issue, Oculus will have to decide whether UPS is the right courier to use. But I assume they'd do what they can to investigate each case and I'd like to think they'd help with a replacement.

It seems to be super rare occurrence though and hopefully it stays that way. 

BakiTheFox
Sightseer

konuia said:

With all these "protesters" looting right now it might be possible your Rift S was grabbed by some greedy bastard. Hopefully this isnt the case because that would mean im screwed as well. 

Like I said above. The box was perfectly sealed, no tampering whatsoever. Someone would have to go all the way to the factory in china and take it out of the original box and seal it and send it down the line. ? This has to be a logistics issue.

wuzp
Rising Star

The day after I get a hold of the warehouse and they said that they're just the warehouse, they're where everything that comes in from customs is received and then relayed to UPS

Oculus >>>>> UPS >>>>> Customs >>>>> Warehouse >>>>> UPS >>>>> OP
I have an aunt who would sometimes send shoes back to her family in Manila.  She was particular about sending mismatched pairs; to keep them from ending up in Imelda Marcos's shoe closet.

Purple_Pilgrim
Honored Guest
This just happened to me. Perfect box, nothing inside it. Did you have resolution?
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?