cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S Cable replacement?

BlurryfaceWon
Honored Guest
After a year of extremely frequent use, a knot in my Rift S's cable seems to have ruined the display; upon movement of that knot the whole display goes black. Anybody know where I can acquire a replacement? I've already talked to support without any conclusive responses.
16 REPLIES 16

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

There is a replacement cable but it's out of stock.  They said they are going to be making more but right now it's not really a priority.

probably they will produce 3 or 4 more in the next year just because they are forced to provide theme for 2 years...
Rift S is dead, and they dont want to say it because of legal actions

Possibly but I hope not.  Only had mine in January I would like to think they will continue to provide replacement parts for some years to come, having learned from earlier mistakes with the CV1.  I guess time will tell...
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Umpa_PC
Rising Star

Umpa_PC said:

There is a replacement cable but it's out of stock.  They said they are going to be making more but right now it's not really a priority.

Was that from a support ticket ?

Support response to a reddit post a while ago asking when the tether cable will be available again.

That's bizarre because I don't think they even post here.
Oculus Rift S - Oculus Quest 128GB
MSI trident 3 7RB-200UK Intel Core i5-7400 3 Ghz x2
MSI GTX 1050 Ti (4GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1060 OC (6GB) & MSI Aero GTX 1070 OC 8GB
16 GB RAM x2, 1TB HDD x2, 1TB SSD x2
Windows 10 Home Edition Version 10.0.18363 Build 18363, Oculus version 17, Quest Version 17
Fan Cooling by Zotac FireStorm - AfterBurner cause me problems.

Xarstealth
Protege

Umpa_PC said:

probably they will produce 3 or 4 more in the next year just because they are forced to provide theme for 2 years...
Rift S is dead, and they dont want to say it because of legal actions

Possibly but I hope not.  Only had mine in January I would like to think they will continue to provide replacement parts for some years to come, having learned from earlier mistakes with the CV1.  I guess time will tell...

me too of course, but i got it in march..and just after 30 days to give it back i realised that rift s is already dead..if it was not..they had 6 months since last update for rift S too..to say something of what they want to do on rift S, its stupid dont say anything  about future plans to keep having new customers buying rift S when in last months its fking full of new cabled headsets , its just marketing when u want prevent ppl buy other brand... leaks usually are the first marketing approach when dont want to reveal too much and after u reveal plans....they did it for quest 2 just 2 months ago releasing some leaks about the jedi controller and the new headset, after some week we had confirmation for quest 2 in 2021 more or less...

so...my personal deduction is "they dont care, rift is not their goal" because cant provide enough personal infos to facebook wich quest can do better only just in understanding where u play if always in home or outside or everything else.. im really worried about eye tracking in facebook hands too...but will talk in 2 years about that hehe

Desaderata
Honored Guest
it is frustrating that after only 4 months i now have to buy a new cable but for some reason occulas doesn't have due to shutdown Corvis-19 or that the issue of running a chair or other ways destroys the cable so often that they cant keep them in stock.    the only place I could find the replacement on ebay and is freaking expensive at 137 American plus delivery from china.  some of the comments seemed to imply that Occulus is not selling Rift s anymore and only has a commitment to 2 years of parts and support.  I just bought mine in January 2020 but thought this was fairly new.  there is the issue the quest can do the job with only a small tether usb cable to access PC or Steam vr. and has the benefit of wireless if using Oculus site.  the cost of a cable from a 3rd party vendor costing 1/3 of the price of the headset.  That's just bad business and will push me away from OCulus as poorly supported and to costly when or if available.  result is a loss of trust and low confidence to buy another unit from Occulus.  and they way this is going it will probably be replaced sooner then later.  I love VR and more than month without a fix is unacceptable when i can go on Amazon or best buy and have a new unit (not Occulus, I dont support incompetence)within days or that day.   The crappy  part is i have a few games on the Oculas site that i doubt i can access on say a vibe.  

Lastly I know i didn't spell oculus right once and i really dont care :}

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^If you have only had the unit for 4 months then get in touch with the retailer you bought it from the return it for a new one.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RiCHeeGee
Protege
I received a Rift S replacement cable free of charge last year, I've also had my headset replaced three times and I'm now awaiting the fourth one since the tracking eventually dies. If the cables they are selling are wearing out within warranty they should replace them and make a better quality product in future.

Xarstealth
Protege
i dont think they dont sell on official store because covid shortage...right and left pads was out of stock too for couple of week but still present in store with the write "sold out", replacement cable has been removed from store...and even before the first year selling when they have to guarantee theme for 2 years ...but they still sell rift S on the store! 
i have mine since half of march and its like i bought some vintage console of 1980 years
im really pissed off about facebook customers management, just machines who give money and personal datas for free