cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Get The Oculus Quest Cast Feature To Work With Chrome Cast Ultra?

Benman283
Honored Guest

Ok here we go…

I am having trouble with casting my headset to the TV. When I
first got the headset in August of 2019, I had a chrome cast 3gen. I managed to
cast my headset to the TV on a few occasions when I wanted to. I stopped
playing for a few months and have since returned.

I thought it would be as easy as before to cast but no..

Its like the feature has fallen of the face of this earth…

I cannot get the chrome cast to appear in the app or the
headset at all, not even a blink of hope.

My trouble shooting process:

·        
Make sure my phone, headset and Chromecast are
connected to the same 2.4GHz band Wi-Fi. – DID NOT WORK

·        
Make sure my phone, headset and Chromecast are
connected to the same 5GHz band Wi-Fi. – DID NOT WORK

·        
Factory reset the chrome cast. DID NOT WORK

·        
Uninstall the oculus app and reinstall it. DID
NOT WORK

·        
Use a Different phone. DID NOT WORK

·        
Make sure mobile data is off. DID NOT WORK

·        
Make sure Bluetooth is on. DID NOT WORK

·        
Disconnect oculus account from phone and
headset. DID NOT WORK

·        
Factory Reset Headset, uninstall app, factory
reset chrome cast. Set it all back up. DID NOT WORK

·        
Check router settings and make sure IPV4 was
running not IPV6. DID NOT WORK

·        
Make sure P2P connections are ok. DID NOT WORK

·        
Move the router closer. DID NOT WORK

·        
PURCHASE chrome cast ultra. Try both 2.4 and
5GHz bands again. DID NOT WORK

·        
Try ethernet with chrome cast ultra. DID NOT WORK

·        
REPLACEMENT HEADSET…… DID NOT WORK.

·        
Went to a friends house, with a different
network…. DID NOT WORK

Am I missing something here…… I physically challenge an
oculus quest developer to come to my house and try and make it cast on my TV…

NO I don’t want to cast to my phone! My family will not huddle
around a 5 inch screen.

The fact that this feature has been taken OUT of its beta
stage and is apparently a fully working tested feature is blowing my mind….

I will not be defeated by this and I WILL cast to my TV. And
No I’m not using a 2nd gen chrome cast! Yes I have tried turning it
on and off again! Unless customer support can provide me with something I haven’t
tried yet I don’t really want to read it.

Surely the software just does not work? I have tried more
than the average person could put up with and yet no luck.

I have attached some pictures of people with the same
problem.

Sorry but its got to the point of frustration.

Help from a dev would be great.

Ben Gszix7b5mjspv.pngou1jpz6o6hjk.png
18 REPLIES 18

agent_pires
Honored Guest
I'd like to know if there's any solution as well as I can't get this to cast even with a gen 3 Chromecast have done what most suggest and still causing issues.

cashxx
Protege
Anyone that isn't working, please submit a ticket to oculus.  The more people that complain, the more chance it gets looked at and fixed.  Submit tickets here: https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Nikkins81
Honored Guest
I'll just add that I disabled IPv6 as suggest and still no option to cast via Chromecast, like many others.
All connections are 2.4ghz.
We use the router/modem supplied by Spectrum - Arris TG1682G.
Ticket submitted a couple of weeks ago with no other solutions. 

agent_pires
Honored Guest
I tried seperating the WiFi bands putting all devices on 5Ghz still can't find the chromecast 3rd gen. This is even with connecting to the Quest via Bluetooth. It's really bad. Also my app doesn't have a drop down for any of the cast from or to devices. Is this how it should be?

razorbacksTX
Honored Guest
Same issue for my quest. Can’t see chromecast as an option to cast to either in app or in headset, and casting to iPhone XS Max does not work. Have been using only 5GHz connection with only 3 devices on it (Chromecast, IPhone, Quest)

stnley
Honored Guest
Okay, i've had the same issue as well and have ran thru most of these troubleshooting steps.  I did find on a forum that putting the Chromecast (i have v3) on a 2.4Gz network and the phone and quest on a 5Gz network somehow allows it to show up on the quest as an option to cast... so i tried it and IT WORKED!  i cast from my quest to my TV with the Chromecast for at least 30 minutes without a hiccup.  Problem is, i tried this same workaround at the office and it did not work so i am thinking it is router settings or something.  One step closer.

-stnley27

SD-Quester
Explorer
I will just add to this for extra reference to trouble shooters, as I have seen multiple times and have a chance.

Here is the main problem I have had with casting/airplay and other types of, on my own network. Also basically same thing at work network that needed some custom rules placed.

*** Look for a setting on routers (usually only a wifi option) along the lines of "Inter-Device Communications" / Device to device communications. They need to be set to ALLOW the traffic or the communications may not happen.  If you are connecting through anything designated as a "Guest" wifi this type of traffic is normally blocked by default. If you have an ultra or 3rd party casting device and can connect via ethernet wire it is a good way to test this setting as usually hard wired devices are always allowed to receive inter-device communications even from wifi devices or network printers / file servers, etc. may not work.

I find for most wireless systems both the caster and receiver must be on the same wifi 2.4Ghz or 5 GHz. And it does help to not use a system that jumps between them. 5Ghz always better except when flaky or heavy 5ghz traffic.

Also for google casting you generally must have internet at least for the initial 'handshake'. Official Google Casting devices themselves usually also need constant internet for the constant telemetry whereas 3rd party devices with cast capability often only need the initial contact with internet and then you can disconnect. This is what I have to do when I do remote demo casts. I link my small travel router to my phone data for a few seconds and then as long as I do not shut down the quest or cast receiver it works great with no further internet.

Another thing is many routers now a days have programming in place to check for questionable traffic on their network and if set too high they will cause blocking or delaying issues with google casting as it likes to switch through port numbers rather quickly when connecting and often uses odd/high number ports. So it gets detected like some sort of network scan that may be a hacker not wanted.

Last thing I can think of right now is I have run across with google devices and some others. They may be using hard coded DNS addresses for getting out to phone big brother google and they get confused if your router is enforcing its own or your ISP's DNS server which interferes with that initial speedy 'handshake' from happening correctly; even though streaming video shows may work they are only being connected 'to' not 'providing' the connection or acting as a 'host' for other devices to send to.

mikebusc
Honored Guest
I'm new to this (just got my Quest yesterday) but I'm hoping this will help someone. I had the same problem casting directly to my TV with a 3rd gen chromecast plugged in to it. I was able at first to cast to my phone then cast from phone to tv with Google home but the picture was lousy. I came to this forum for some answers then I just changed my wifi on everything to the 5g input and "Pow!" my TV finally showed up on list of "cast to's"

THIS! I worked on this problem for a few hours and it seemed the solution was the DNS service. I bet many people are having issues because of their ISPs DNS is doing something weird. In my case i'm using a turris omnia router which defaults to the nice and safe locally hosted DNSSEC but once i switched to the google DNS everything started working perfectly.

So like SD said:

Change your DNS server, probably to google's 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4

check for any p2p or UPnP services and make sure they are enabled or turned on.