cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The newer touch controls crack like eggs.

inovator
Consultant
How many of you had the ring around your touch controller crack. It happened on both of mine. 1 was dropped  3 feet high on thick carpet and cracked. I lightly hit one touch against the other touch. They still both work perfectly. I put tape around the cracks for support. But hey oculus had to know this was a problem. I hope it's fixed on the next gen.
44 REPLIES 44

Anonymous
Not applicable
Been using mine hard for a year now with no problem. Have even dropped on my concrete floor a time or two.
I would also add I do a fair amount of flight sims where I don't use controllers. But I have used them off and on quite a bit.

inovator
Consultant

dburne said:

Been using mine hard for a year now with no problem. Have even dropped on my concrete floor a time or two.
I would also add I do a fair amount of flight sims where I don't use controllers. But I have used them off and on quite a bit.

Wow maybe some, but not all were defective
My cv1 controller when I was a newer user hit much harder on the wall on floors and not one crack. How the f..k does a controller  break when dropped 3 feet on thick carpet. Anyway I still enjoy my rift s and the controllers still work. Just wanted to vent

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
There is no doubt that the new Quest/Rift S controllers (I believe those are identical) are nowhere near as well made as the original Rift cv1 controllers as far as durability goes.  Also, the total joystick movement seem larger with the Rift cv1 controllers.  The new thumb sticks have a outer ring that limits travel a little bit.

On a positive side, the new controllers weight ~30g (~1oz) less than the original cv1's.  Plus, all Oculus touch controllers are a heck of a lot better than my Vive Wands, lol!

Aside; I wonder who actually made the Quest/Rift S controllers, Oculus or Lenovo?
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Coopalooper
Honored Guest

inovator said:

How many of you had the ring around your touch controller crack. It happened on both of mine. 1 was dropped  3 feet high on thick carpet and cracked. I lightly hit one touch against the other touch. They still both work perfectly. I put tape around the cracks for support. But hey oculus had to know this was a problem. I hope it's fixed on the next gen.

Hi @inovator - what type of tape did you use on the cracks? Mine just revealed a tiny hairline crack, but I think it's causing drift issues, and wondered if the type of tape for a patch made a difference.

inovator
Consultant
I used a little black duct tape. Possibly not necessary but just to make it more secure. They still work perfectly fine. 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

inovator said:

I agree its an issue. The Oculus Facebook forums have been inundated with pictures of broken wrings and cracked controllers, including the battery door issue. I am always amazed that this stuff is never being discussed at this official forum? I am worried that if only a sanitized view of the roll outs is "allowed" on the forum then the dev teams may get lulled into thinking there is no issue, as we saw with the God-Ray, or the Red-Screen issues.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Mine are still undamaged despite heavy use. Then again, I'm careful about always using the wrist straps to avoid dropping, and set up my Guardian so that there's some clearance between it and any wall/object.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

inovator
Consultant
Wow. It pays to be pixie your magic!

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
No magic involved, just being aware that it's possible to damage the controllers so I'm careful with them.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.