cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Graphical glitching/jumping/stuttering in Half Life Alyx, anyone experiencing the same?

JetG
Explorer
Hi all,

just started playing Alyx and have noticed some terrible graphical jumping. The game looks incredible, but the immersion is really broken when the graphics glitch like this. Looking around seems fine most of the time, but head movement in 3d space causes the graphics to jump, as if it had lost a few frames (some tearing is present too, and some lateral movement of objects). Pretty sure it isn't a frame rate issue, but more a tracking issue or some error with the way Steam VR translates the data from the Rift maybe?

Anyone else experiencing a similiar issue with Alyx? It doesn't happen on Oculus games, nor have I noticed it with outher Steam VR games, seems something to do with the Rift and Alyx specifically. I've tried all the solutions I've found online regarding super sampling, disabling smoothing etc, but with little success. 

PC is a 3900X on a 570X, 1080ti, 32gb ram, original Rift with three cameras in a 10ft x 10ft space (mounted in the corners of the room). No tracking issues normally.

Any help would be gratefully received.

J
17 REPLIES 17

GoneVR
Protege
Same situation. Alyx is unplayable now. Few days ago it works great on high fidelity, now it lags a lot even on low fidelity. I can see all games on steam vr have stuttering/micro lags now. Maybe steam vr update causes the problem? Oculus update?

Nothing changed on my PC rig.

6600K @4.5GHz, 2x8GB DDR4 2666, 2080 Super, Asus Maximus ranger with newest BIOS. Fresh install of win10 on SSD.

NxckPlays
Honored Guest
I'm not sure why but the same thing is happening to me. It's "sort of" playable, but every few seconds I get a hang or a stutter that lasts anywhere from 20-250ms, and It's really taking away from the immersion. I'm surprised I don't hear more about this, my rig is a 3600X with a 2070 Super and 32GB of RAM. I have no idea what could be causing this, ran fine on my old PC at launch but I took a break for a while from the game and came back with a whole new PC and suddenly It's a stuttery mess. 

exis.za
Honored Guest
I've been having the exact same issue for over a month. The frame "jumps" or "flickers" randomly when moving in 3D space but not when standing still. I've tried everything including opening a ticket with SteamVR and I've just given up hope of ever being able to play the game again properly : '(

It seems like some kind of bug at a low level between SteamVR and Oculus, the only clues I have is that it doesn't appear on any performance timing graph on SteamVR or Oculus Diagnostics, and it is worse when raising the fidelity level of the game, but it also occurs even on the lowest settings.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmm haven't played Alyx since I finished it a few weeks ago, ran great for me then at highest of settings.
If I get a chance tomorrow will have a look and see if I see a difference.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I just started playing this today with my Rift cv1.  Everything looks fantastic and is very smooth.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Leo_Sax
Honored Guest

Lots of people are reporting this kind of poor performance in Alyx, whereas it played pretty smooth at launch. Something got screwed up either in a Steam update, SteamVR update, or Alyx update. The theory is that it is caused by the way, by default, the game attempts to scale fidelity dynamically depending on GPU load. Apparently when it adjusts fidelity it is causing loss of frames. The solution is to fix the fidelity level to a specific number at launch. So try this:

Right click the game in your Steam library, then go to "properties" and "set launch options". Paste the following:

-novid -console -vconsole +vr_fidelity_level_auto 0 +vr_fidelity_level 3 +vr_render_scale 1.15

If that fixes your problem then you can increase the fidelity level
(fidelity_level 4, 5, etc... up to 😎 up until performance suffers.

Thank you very much! This solution helped. I had the exact situation with Alyx being smooth at launch, but a week ago when I wanted to play it again, I had the stutters!

jessepeej
Honored Guest
I was very frustrated with this problem as well - the one that looks like the image is flickering at a different resolution/different location. I'm using an Oculus Quest 2 with a unofficial link cable.HP Spectre x360 (2019) and an Aorus GTX 1070 gaming box. Part of my problem was trying different USB-C cables and adapters - this made the tearing and flickering worse in some conditions.

But the only thing that fully resolved the issue had to do with my dual monitor setup. I can't really go through all the different configurations I tried, but I can tell you what worked was choosing my external display via "Show Only on 2nd monitor" in windows display settings, and having the Alyx window minimized or covered up, so that it is not displaying on screen at all. I know it sounds a little absurd, but it worked for me and I'm now enjoying the game. I did this mid-game, without rebooting.

So if you're having similar issues, try introducing a second monitor to the situation? Weird I know.

Amfnesia
Honored Guest
IT WORKED!

I tried absolutely everything and could not figure out why Alyx was making stutters every few seconds on my Quest 2, but then turned off Asus AURA app on my PC and suddenly Alyx is running buttery smooth!

I even tried turning it on and off while playing to confirm, and as soon as it is turned on the stuttering begins.
It makes no sense but im just happy i can finally play the game.

Thank you so much for your suggestion.