cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left lens frequently freezes (Rift, not Rift S)

Charlzoid
Honored Guest
So I've actually had this issue for a very long time and no matter where I look, I can't find anyone with the same issue as me. But when I try to play any game whether it's from the Oculus store or a separate program, the game will always freeze in specifically my left lens. My cable has been very twisted for a very long time so that's what I suspect is the issue, but I still wanted a second opinion before I buy another one to then find out that wasn't the issue.
12 REPLIES 12

CuteKannaXI
Honored Guest
I been experiencing the issue as of late. I'm Not 100% sure what the problem is. Did you ever get yours resolved?

AdrianG001
Explorer

First make sure that the headset is plugged in firmly, the cable comes out of the headset if you remove the foam, it can come loose causing the issue you are describing.

Assuming that it is connected firmly and the issue is still happening, most likely it is a power delivery issue, I'm going to venture a guess that the hub you got is passive and doesn't take power from the wall. You need a powered hub to make sure the headset gets enough current consistently, if it doesn't you get random drops in one or both eyes while you move your head around.

Azradine
Explorer
Hi everyone,

Same issue here. I opened a support ticket yesterday. The official response for us Rift users is:

"At this time, I must let you know that as Rift is a product that is no longer in market, our team is evaluating options for customers outside of warranty. For further information and updates, please keep an eye on our public communications channels.

I asked what these communication channels are and was told to visit this forum. It looks like we have to figure this out together and this is the place to do it. 

They asked me to take videos, so here they are:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_3oCKqKV8I

www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUdCugdvM30  ;

My headset, sensors, and cables are in excellent condition. My computer has a 1080Ti, i7-8700K, and 16GB RAM. It's a great gaming rig running all games on ultra settings. So this issue with the left lens freezing is very odd.

Let's keep each other posted if we find any fixes for this.

Cheers!

Netheri
Rising Star
How's the graphics card drivers? You might want to revert few versions backwards or update to newest and see if that helps. 
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

Azradine
Explorer
Hi Netheri,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll see what happens when I roll back my Nvidia driver. Currently, I'm using 446.14. I'l try 388.59 since I just read an article about it re: rift. See here:
www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9493k0/my_recent_nvidia_update_killed_my_rift_orange_led/

I'll update you when I'm done. Thanks again.

Cheers!

Azradine
Explorer
No luck with drivers. I updated after this post, but that didn't help. Rolling back to 388.59 didn't help. 

Netheri
Rising Star
@Jewsbestfriend Sorry to hear that it didn't help. Well have you tried so, that start the desktop app and leave it on and let the HMD just be a hour or so? I got the green screen to fixed like that long time a go. Screens doesn't have to be active. Although you might like to try keep them also active, if the non-active doesn't help.
i9-9900K@ 5GHz, ASUS Rog Strix 2080 Super OC , 32gb 3466MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z390 E Gaming, 1 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 card, 2x3.1, USB, 6x3.0 USB on mobo, 1x USB-C on G-card, Reverb G2

aMammt
Honored Guest
I've the same problem. In this days it happen to me for the first time

Azradine
Explorer
We really need a fix for this. There has to be one out there... 😕