cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
@RuneSR2 - were you able to update it to V1.13? Mine seems to be stuck on 1.12.5

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

@RuneSR2 - were you able to update it to V1.13? Mine seems to be stuck on 1.12.5

I haven't tried yet, just saw that v 1.13 was in the news, could it be the beta?

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
I'll check and report.
For the time being I have to deal with dust that's slowly been accumulating on the left display panel inside my Index. I first noticed one a few weeks ago, but as of this morning three new specks showed up (one of which big enough to be a nuisance). Something's up with the seal, so I'm making yet another ticket.
Kudos to Valve's support though. They've been really forthcoming in fixing all issues I had so far. Just hoping they engineer their way out of these issues in future iterations of Index

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer
I shot this video specifically for this thread.
TLDW: Oculus vs Valve Index debate should be approached on a game-by-game basis.
E.G. today, Index just got its ass handed to it by Quest in Obduction:

Luciferous
Consultant
Is it more like you are playing it on an OLED HMD?  It looks beautiful on my CV1 as does no mans sky. They have similar colourings.

Not sure it would look as good on the Rift S. May look good on the Vive Pro as well.

i never finished that game, have to go back to it at some point. The holograms and video actors were a great touch.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

The mods told me that they as a rule of thumb do not want posts about games which do not fully and officially support the Index. It seems they don't care for Revive - and I sense some profound animosity toward Oculus. 

tbgks2pjvra2.gif

In other news,

It's awesome to see Landfall and Obduction getting some love during Pandemic 2020. Both are great experiences. Obduction is masterful for a puzzler, and Landfall had one of my favorite RTS final battles of all time. 

Borscht4eVR
Heroic Explorer

Is it more like you are playing it on an OLED HMD?  It looks beautiful on my CV1 as does no mans sky. They have similar colourings.

Not sure it would look as good on the Rift S. 

Maybe not, but my biggest wow moment was experiencing the performance boost this game got from being played on Oculus. Vibrance of colors was just an added bonus.

I think I'm gonna spend the whole day in Obduction tomorrow. Lone Echo and Half Life Alyx are the only other games that ever got me wanting to spend a full day in VR.

Thank god for Deluxe Audio Strap - there's no way in hell I could ever do that with Quest's stock strap.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I shot this video specifically for this thread.
TLDW: Oculus vs Valve Index debate should be approached on a game-by-game basis.
E.G. today, Index just got its ass handed to it by Quest in Obduction:

You need ASW 2.0 for Obduction - it's one of the most gpu demanding VR games you can find - I'm just happy for ASW 2.0 instead of ASW 1.0, because now we get way less artifacts  B) You probably need a 3080 Ti for that game with the Index 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^Plus won't that game running on the tethered Quest have everything compressed, so unlike the the Index which will show the full native image and bit rate and no compression thanks to being a dedicated PCVR HMD,  the tethered Quest version will have lower compressed visuals and bit rates and downgrading the games native res, hence making it less of a strain on the system and why it would seem to run better on the Quest than it would on the index?
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

So the Valve Index turns 1 years old today! It was June 28 last year that it was born. Good news for PCVR. Keep that momentum going!

Happy Birthday, Index, you bulky controller mofo  ❤️

A good article for tips and tricks:
https://skarredghost.com/2020/06/28/valve-index-ergonomics-tweaks/