cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift S display port issues. Need help!

payt69
Protege
Hi fellow VR enthusiasts,

I december of 2019 I bought an Oculus Rift S. back then, I still had my 'old' computer, which consisted of a I7 930, 16 GB DDR3 ram, and an RTX2070. The Rift worked mostly fine on this. Occasionally there would be some connection issues, but those could be resolved by deleting the USB Rift S entries in the device manager, and then replugging the Rift S. This has happened about 2 times.

Sice my old PC was a bit outdated, and Oculus home complained that my CPU was too slow, I ordered a new computer, consisting of an Asus Z390-P mobo, I5 9600K processor, 16GB DDR4 ram, Corsair VS650, and of course the RTX 2070 again.

After installing windows 10 on this machine and updating windows and all the drivers, I installed Oculus home, connected the cables, and everything worked like a charm. It's been working like that for some 2 months, until 3 days ago my PC started acting up. It would freeze occasionally, sometimes for 10 or 20 seconds, and then it'd sortof start working again. Of course I rebooted the pc, and then it;d work for a bit, and then the freezes would start again. It was around this time that Oculus home started complaining that the display port couldn't be found.

After a while it seems that the PC wouldn't start up at all. The fans would spin, the lights come on, but sometimes it would beep a sequence indicating that there's something wrong with the video card, and the monitor would say there isn't a video signal.

I was finally able to determine that the HDMI cable I was using was probably at fault, so I replaced that, and my PC has been running like a dream ever since. However, one problem still persisted, and that was that OCulus didn't recognize the Rift S' display port cable anymore.

So of course I started perusing google to see if anyone else has this problem, and I ran into all sorts of suggestions that might help. I tried using different USB ports, both display ports, I tried updating all drivers I could think of, and at one point even reinstalled my windows 10 from a completely clean SSD, followed by more reinstalling of most recent drivers for everything, but the problem of Oculus not recognizing my display port cable for anything more than 5 seconds persists.

And that's the weird thing: when I insert the DP cable, the icon turns green for about 5 seconds, after which it goes off again and Oculus tellms that there's no DP connection.

So it DOES see something. And the USB connection is flawless. It detects the cable in both DP ports, but in both cases switches off again after about 5 seconds.

I even tried reverting the version of the Oculus firmware to 2.1.1, as well as reverting NVidia software to a previous version. Nothing works.. not even for a bit!

Here are some hypotheses of what I think COULD be the case:

- Power supply doesn't provide quite enough power for the GPU. It works flawlessly in games and all that. but maybe the DP port needs to provide too much power to the Rift S. So when you plug in the cable, it's enough for it to detect the cable going in, but not enough to sustain the connection. This would have to be case for gazillions of other people with different GPU's and different PC configurations though,m since many people have the same problem.

- The faulty HDMI cable fried something in the GPU which now results in the DP not functioning properly. However, with the new HDMI cable the GPU works flawlessly, and it would have to have affected both DP ports equally.

- Something could be wrong with the Rift S or it's cable. I've tried reseating the connector that goes into the Rift S, and made sure it went in as far as it goes. I tried to find any dents or cable breakage, but everything looks fine and should work.

I'm going to try and see what happens when I use a different video card, but I have to borrow it from someone. If that doesn't work, I'm going to try and see what happens if I supply the GPU with power from a different PSU. I'll also try and see if I can get the Rift S to work on a different PC.

Looking through these forums and other sources though, it becomes clear that many many people are dealing with this same issue. Oculus seems to acknowledge that something is wrong somewhere between the software and the Rift S, but it hasn't become clear what it could be yet. They do say that they're looking into it, but haven't been open on what their progress is or what their findings so far are. Instead they provide people with a standard list of things to do, such as trying different USB ports, reinstalling software, drivers, etc etc. It has become clear that no PC configuration is exempt from these problems. In fact the only common denominator is the Rift S and the Oculus software, as far as I can see. 

It's been a very frustrating experience. One day everything works perfectly, the next day it's all gone without a hint of how to make it work again.

I've been a pretty vocal advocate of VR in general and the Rift S specifically, but now I'm afraid I have to advise people against it. It could be that all Rift S users are sitting on a time bomb!

Anyway here' hoping for the best. If anyone has the golden tip on how to solve this, I'd love to find out! Keep in mind I've tried all the standard stuff already though!

Cheers,

Peter
54 REPLIES 54

TK.Prince
Protege

TK.Prince said:

Dont touch it for 2 week and that worked again. 3 hours later, problem reappear ... This is so boring, we need a fix Oculus !

Oculus support got back in contact with me, thanking me for my patience. Having gone through some more troubleshooting steps and sent off more logs and MSinfo, they've decided to replace it with a new headset. I've been given a prepaid returns label to return my HMD, luckily I kept all the original packaging.

I don't understand what that will change. They just need to upgrade their program. But they prefer loose money ... 
Another thing that can proof that come from their app it's when you have the no Display port connexion. You unplug the rift, and the message stay !! 

Honosuseri
Protege

TK.Prince said:

TK.Prince said:

Dont touch it for 2 week and that worked again. 3 hours later, problem reappear ... This is so boring, we need a fix Oculus !

Oculus support got back in contact with me, thanking me for my patience. Having gone through some more troubleshooting steps and sent off more logs and MSinfo, they've decided to replace it with a new headset. I've been given a prepaid returns label to return my HMD, luckily I kept all the original packaging.

I don't understand what that will change. They just need to upgrade their program. But they prefer loose money ... 
Another thing that can proof that come from their app it's when you have the no Display port connexion. You unplug the rift, and the message stay !! 

I'm not convinced it's a hardware fault either and there's nothing wrong with my PC. However that's what they want to do, exchange my well used 7 month old Rift S for a new one. If the new one works then it's resolved, if they update the software before it arrives and that fixes the issue, then it's resolved. If I have a new HMD that still doesn't work, it's not fit for purpose and I shall request to have it refunded. I'll purchase a HP reverb G2 most likely later in the year, the only software I have bought on the Oculus store is their exclusive games, all other games are on my Steam account.

morphee7
Expert Protege
you will probably get someone elses returned rift s anyway, they dont communicate with there support ticket staff which only follow a script as we all get the same answers from them and imo the support staff are just vollentier forum staff that are die hard oculus fans

Honosuseri
Protege

morphee7 said:

you will probably get someone elses returned rift s anyway, they dont communicate with there support ticket staff which only follow a script as we all get the same answers from them and imo the support staff are just vollentier forum staff that are die hard oculus fans

That's how support desks work, in tiers. The first line do go off a script to help inexperienced users, you then get handed off up the chain. I dealt with the two guys, who were very polite, apologetic and as helpful as they could be.

I have it in writing I would receive a new Rift S, not a used headset. Although I have no issue with refurbished items, I in fact buy them if there is a decent discount as they look brand new. The HMD had to be changed to check it's not a hardware fault. I know a guy who does a YT channel on VR. He has a similar system to me which will use the same USB chipset and his Rift S is still working as he still creates content with it. If it was purely a software fault there's a high chance he'd experience the same issues as me.

I'm posting my experience to help inform others. Support didn't tell me to buy a powered USB hub or a dedicated PCI-E card. I see many people doing this thinking it will fix the issue and only getting more frustrated that it still doesn't work and they're out of pocket!

MasterWayne1
Explorer
will the oculus team do something or should i sell my oculus wtf

marco_a_rivera_
Honored Guest

Exactly the same story here. Constant DP disconnections. Struggling with Oculus since March... I already purchased a new computer and performed all troubleshooting available, but no luck. It is clearly an Oculus hardware/firmware problem. Many users report that downgrading the FW would solve many issues, but I don't wish to perform such potentially risky step. My Rift S is failing in 3 different computers.

Rolling back the Firmware and the software is not a guaranteed fix. Even if it works it's not really a fix just a workaround, you need to block the Oculus Software from updating and then that has a knock on effect to downloading from the Oculus store.

I have had the Rift S for 6-7 months it's worked fine until just over a week ago. I've started a support ticket and done their suggested troubleshooting tips. The logs state it's an issue with USB not the DP! My USB drivers have not changed, there is no issue with the ports and the HMD has run off them fine since day one. So it's either a Software issue or my headset is faulty.

I've not heard any more from Oculus support in over a week. I shall give them a month from reporting the issue, if it's not resolved I'll contact the etailer I purchased from and have it returned. I'll look to replace it with the HP reverb G2 headset instead.

Same issue here mine is only 3 months old, BestBuy Canada refuses to exchange it and they sent me to Oculus, they talk to me for about 2 weeks told me to do everything I have already tried but followed even if I was just frustrating to see if I had missed something, nothing worked. Even went and bought the recommended PCI USB 3.0 board, now I have 8 3.0 Ports on my PC and the Oculus software sees them all as 2.0. They stop talking to me as well. I have heard you need 2 USB Rift hubs to work, my windows fails to install that second hub, No one has a solution for this. My system is just collecting dust an expensive paper weight. And my system is brand new.

morphee7
Expert Protege

Exactly the same story here. Constant DP disconnections. Struggling with Oculus since March... I already purchased a new computer and performed all troubleshooting available, but no luck. It is clearly an Oculus hardware/firmware problem. Many users report that downgrading the FW would solve many issues, but I don't wish to perform such potentially risky step. My Rift S is failing in 3 different computers.

Rolling back the Firmware and the software is not a guaranteed fix. Even if it works it's not really a fix just a workaround, you need to block the Oculus Software from updating and then that has a knock on effect to downloading from the Oculus store.

I have had the Rift S for 6-7 months it's worked fine until just over a week ago. I've started a support ticket and done their suggested troubleshooting tips. The logs state it's an issue with USB not the DP! My USB drivers have not changed, there is no issue with the ports and the HMD has run off them fine since day one. So it's either a Software issue or my headset is faulty.

I've not heard any more from Oculus support in over a week. I shall give them a month from reporting the issue, if it's not resolved I'll contact the etailer I purchased from and have it returned. I'll look to replace it with the HP reverb G2 headset instead.

Same issue here mine is only 3 months old, BestBuy Canada refuses to exchange it and they sent me to Oculus, they talk to me for about 2 weeks told me to do everything I have already tried but followed even if I was just frustrating to see if I had missed something, nothing worked. Even went and bought the recommended PCI USB 3.0 board, now I have 8 3.0 Ports on my PC and the Oculus software sees them all as 2.0. They stop talking to me as well. I have heard you need 2 USB Rift hubs to work, my windows fails to install that second hub, No one has a solution for this. My system is just collecting dust an expensive paper weight. And my system is brand new.

this is discusting from both best buy and oculus as under a 12 month warrenty best buy should have no legal right to not refund you or offer you a replacement.
i know i may be out my league here but im starting to think this is a mobo combatability issue with oculus' drivers/software but i really cant comment as i have used both a assus b350 f gaming board and im now on a msi b450 pro max, and on the asus board they were 3.1 ports and on the msi they are 3.2 ports i have had a couple of problems when first firing up the pc with the orange light but rerstart the software brings it back and when it said my rift wasnt detected i just restarted my pc and it was there again. yes i have had many problems in the past with mic probs and static and black screens that seemed to solve when they came out with an patch update

morphee7
Expert Protege

this is discusting from both best buy and oculus as under a 12 month warrenty best buy should have no legal right to not refund you or offer you a replacement.
i know i may be out my league here but im starting to think this is a mobo combatability issue with oculus' drivers/software but i really cant comment as i have used both a assus b350 f gaming board and im now on a msi b450 pro max, and on the asus board they were 3.1 ports and on the msi they are 3.2 ports i have had a couple of problems when first firing up the pc with the orange light but rerstart the software brings it back and when it said my rift wasnt detected i just restarted my pc and it was there again. yes i have had many problems in the past with mic probs and static and black screens that seemed to solve when they came out with an patch update

dan.m.griffiths
Explorer

I'm in the same situation.  Mine hasn't worked since May 20th.  I've sent the faulty one back (display port issue) and they received it weeks ago and did not reply.  On the ticket chat, they said they couldn't find the oculus that had been delivered!  Then after me showing them the tracking data and the courier+ delivery info, they say they have now found it and will issue a replacement this week.  I should hear something tomorrow according to the girl on live chat.

I'm not that hopeful.  Seems this is a long lasting issue that needs sorting out.  I have a bad feeling that it's a software problem and not the hardware.

dan.m.griffiths
Explorer

I'm in the same situation.  Mine hasn't worked since May 20th.  I've sent the faulty one back (display port issue) and they received it weeks ago and did not reply.  On the ticket chat, they said they couldn't find the oculus that had been delivered!  Then after me showing them the tracking data and the courier+ delivery info, they say they have now found it and will issue a replacement this week.  I should hear something tomorrow according to the girl on live chat.

I'm not that hopeful.  Seems this is a long lasting issue that needs sorting out.  I have a bad feeling that it's a software problem and not the hardware.