cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this forum's Community Dead now? - Probable Causes?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Serious question. This forum used to be buzzing during the Cybereality days, now it just seems to be an empty-shell of support questions and issues with a minute selection of worthy threads. Only a few posters now keeping the flame burning. I guess we're in a transitioning period, but that surely hasn't ended all discussion or has that been milked-to-death in light of no new hardware announcements from team Oculus? 

Question though, what would bring it all flooding back, Obviously discussions of rival brands isn't enough on its own.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
140 REPLIES 140

Anonymous
Not applicable

Add to that the forum still has issues which can make it irritating to post (quote issues and it continually logging me out) 

I am with you there!!

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Logging-in to the forum is still problematic for me each time it auto logs out. It has been mentioned for some time now but still an issue left unaddressed or just not fixable.

Interesting you say about lack of Oculus staff posting here I think Kevin mentioned this also. It was also mentioned earlier that it was Cybereality's presence here that was great about the forum seeing as he was official. I concur it's a shame that Oculus staff lurk or remain in the shadows when they could be active participants in some way and offer snippets of info. I see one HP employee does just that on the HP Reverb Sub Reddit and doesn't seem to step on anyone's toes. 

Well now we know (per DnD's stats) that this forum's activities are far from dead. This thread just seems to be more about the old school regulars not being too happy with the "new" state of things. The only valid complaints are that we don't have the same type of conversations we did before, Cyber is gone, and no other Oculus Staff are actively participating in convo's.

But none of that indicates a problem with the community showing signs of being "dead." It's just more about personal preferences.

In fact, it just kinda seems like you want people to do what you want them to do lol. You want the Mod's to clean up threads better. You want Oculus staff members to be more active. You really wanna be the boss, bro 😉

Nekto2
Superstar

Question though, what would bring it all flooding back, Obviously discussions of rival brands isn't enough on its own.

Hmm.... VR (webGL/webXR) support to forum may be?
😄

Nekto2
Superstar
We could have "Let's play..." section. To set date and time for multiplayer games. There are lot's of cool VR games without anyone online 😞

Nekto2
Superstar
And none wants to discuss "VR keyboard"! 🙂
New design and technique for fast text entry in VR with Touch controllers. It should not look like ordinary keyboard.
You could use Touch rotation to select key and button press or VR gesture to submit it.
Any one could make a demo?
😉

ps. or use both hands, left hand rotation could select a key, right hand rotation will submit that key. And vice versa.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Logging-in to the forum is still problematic for me each time it auto logs out. It has been mentioned for some time now but still an issue left unaddressed or just not fixable.

Interesting you say about lack of Oculus staff posting here I think Kevin mentioned this also. It was also mentioned earlier that it was Cybereality's presence here that was great about the forum seeing as he was official. I concur it's a shame that Oculus staff lurk or remain in the shadows when they could be active participants in some way and offer snippets of info. I see one HP employee does just that on the HP Reverb Sub Reddit and doesn't seem to step on anyone's toes. 

You bring up an excellent point, and
one we have discussed on other forums.

HP really have reviewed everything
that OculusVR did “in their own unique manner” and attempted to avoid this. And
we have to say the HP team, on both continents, are a real pleasure to work with,
(and its not just that they have given us early access, or that it’s a G2 in my

They have taken on board the
opportunity that community brings to the table and worked with them. The
announcement on the Valve partnership is just one example of how cooperation does not have to descend into a war of nerves. And the work placed into the G2
and the G2+ are really going to help all VR - than create a private ecosystem. HP
embracing Enterprise early on has also helped with this.

Many of the other forums seem to discuss OculusVR loyal fans wavering towards looking
seriously at the G2, which I thought I would never see. I think the continuing
announcements and Valve partnership details will really define Q4 – especially
if OculusVR are looking at a low key announcement slot for PC VR during OC7.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Digikid1
Consultant

Zenbane said:

The only valid complaints are that we don't have the same type of conversations we did before, Cyber is gone, and no other Oculus Staff are actively participating in convo's.

Well except for the fact that I cannot log in with my phone or tablet...Forum software is quite shitty....and lots of repeat topics because NO ONE BOTHERS TO SEARCH.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
So it might be fair to say that this forum is simply going through its Third Era.

The First Era is the era of the OG's. All of you who were here right when the forum started. Some even before this forum was created, and there was that original forum where Cyber and Palmer would talk to each other about ideas publicly. This marked the days leading up to Virtual Reality finally becoming a real thing.

The Second Era is the era of Gen 1 Regulars. This is when I arrived (har har). There were many who became Forum Regulars as part of the Rift CV1 release. This is when console war style rhetoric was all the rage, along with some of the best VR Hardware and Software Reviews available.

Now we are in the Third Era, the Era of... "omg VR is close to being mainstream for the masses, so people are only talking about Tech Support and Troubleshooting."

Hmm, someone should probably come up with a better name for the Third Era.

The end of the First Era is marked by the official release of Rift CV1. The end of the Second Era is marked by Pimax trolling everyone with their garbage Kickstarter HMD's (this forum's topics have never been same since). 

I kid, I kid. The end of the Second Era is marked by the release of Oculus Quest. So maybe this is just how things look when a company is no longer catering to the PC Master race?

PluckeyOne
Protege
First Era - Oculus DK1 and DK2 and the evolution of Dreams to reality.
Second Era - CV1 and the evolution of reality to the mass consumer market.
Third Era - Quest and the priority given to Standalones over PCVR.

Forum members wanted the Second Era to continue but are now faced with the reality of feeling out of place. People like Brendan Iribe and John Carmack realised when it was time to move on to other things.

The third Era with the death of GearVR, GO is ending soon.

The Forth Era has yet to come.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
And the fifth, six, seventh, eighth, nineth and tenth shall come marching on...phew thats an Atmospheric post innit.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.