cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Headset showing as USB 2 instead of USB 3

stephentain123
Explorer
Hi All,
           My Rift headset has all of a sudden gone to usb 2. Anyone had this?
42 REPLIES 42

dhrto
Expert Protege
Yes, it's one of the new 'features' of the v17 release.
(Rift CV1 user myself, has been working fine for almost 4 years, nothing changed on my end).

Please report this issue with the desktop software feedback function. Hopefully the more reports they get the more resources will be spent on this problem.

stephentain123
Explorer
Many thanks its not just me then

ANGEL_DUST01
Protege
yup having this issue CV1 

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I hate to be a spoil sport but I'm not having this problem with my Rift cv1.  Maybe look at my specs in my signature to find out why, lol!
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

dhrto
Expert Protege
StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card

This solved it for me too, since I got fed up with the issue, although I was also using one of the recommended USB3-controller cards (The Inateck KTU3FR-4P one). Mind you, the StarTech PEXUSB3S44V card will set you back ~ $100 !

ANGEL_DUST01
Protege

TomCgcmfc said:

I hate to be a spoil sport but I'm not having this problem with my Rift cv1.  Maybe look at my specs in my signature to find out why, lol!

No issues with my rig man pfft
ASUS ROG MAXIMUS HERO XI [WI-FI] Mother Board
ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2060
ASUS ROG STRIX XG27V MONITOR
ASUS ROG RYUO LIQUID COOLING
ASUS ROG THOR 850W PSU
ASUS ROG GLADIUS 11 ORIGIN MOUSE
ASUS ROG DELTA RGB QUAD-DAC HEADSET
ASUS ROG STRIX FLARE MECHANICAL KEYBOARD
ASUS ROG BALTEUS RGB HARD MOUSE PAD
CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 64 GIG MEM
FPS CMT 520 PLUS RGB CASE
i9-9900k 4.70 GHz
VR Oculus Rift cv1
3 Motion Sensors
Motion controllers
XBOX ONE Controller
and three 1 T SSDS AND 1 500 G SSD FOR MY WINDOWS.

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Hey @stephentain123 and folks - Just wanted to quickly jump in and clarify what was added as part of the v17 software update. The only thing that was added was the actual USB 2.0 detection warning that you're seeing. As I understand it, nothing was changed as part of Oculus' USB detection, as the Oculus software simply reads the USB port types from your OS and doesn't actually detect them itself. What this means is that if you're now seeing the warning and you didn't change how anything was plugged in, that USB port (and as a result, your headset connection) was being detected as a 2.0 previously - it's just that there was no explicit warning to let you know about it.

I believe everything should still work if your headset is connected via USB 2.0, but if you want the absolute best performance possible, we recommend getting it connected to a USB 3.0 port. You may try swapping it into a different port or trying to figure out why that port is being incorrectly recognized if you think it should be a USB 3.0 port. For that, you'll likely want to troubleshoot with Microsoft or your motherboard manufacturer. Our support team may have some additional troubleshooting tips for your specific situation if you want to reach out to them as well. Hope this helps!

ANGEL_DUST01
Protege

Hey @stephentain123 and folks - Just wanted to quickly jump in and clarify what was added as part of the v17 software update. The only thing that was added was the actual USB 2.0 detection warning that you're seeing. As I understand it, nothing was changed as part of Oculus' USB detection, as the Oculus software simply reads the USB port types from your OS and doesn't actually detect them itself. What this means is that if you're now seeing the warning and you didn't change how anything was plugged in, that USB port (and as a result, your headset connection) was being detected as a 2.0 previously - it's just that there was no explicit warning to let you know about it.

I believe everything should still work if your headset is connected via USB 2.0, but if you want the absolute best performance possible, we recommend getting it connected to a USB 3.0 port. You may try swapping it into a different port or trying to figure out why that port is being incorrectly recognized if you think it should be a USB 3.0 port. For that, you'll likely want to troubleshoot with Microsoft or your motherboard manufacturer. Our support team may have some additional troubleshooting tips for your specific situation if you want to reach out to them as well. Hope this helps!

Thank you, I have usb 3.1 on my board and it is plugged into one of these ports. could it be detecting usb 3.1 incorrectly? 

dhrto
Expert Protege

Thank you for your reply and clarification, but excuse my French when I say that's a load of bullcrap...

I've been using the CV1 for 4 years now, right at the start with the recommended Inateck card, because my mainboard back then didn't have the right USB chipset. Now it might be the case that the new detection was added in v17, but I do know for certain that before the whole new version name thing (when it was still 1.xx instead of vxx) the settings page in Oculus showed USB3 for the headset. And in my case also 2x USB3 for the sensors and 1x USB2 for one sensor (per Oculus recommendation, to have the 3rd sensor connected via USB2 because of bandwidth issues). 

At the moment I solved the problem by shelling out another $100 to get the Startech card with 4 separate controllers. Seeing your reply (while I'm grateful there is some kind of feedback) this was a good call, since I don't think Oculus will acknowledge and go back to fix it. I've swapped all the ports on the Inateck card (4 ports) and on every port the headset will think it's USB2 while the sensors are just fine and show up as USB3. Considering this the problem is crystal clear to me: it lies with the (detection software of the) headset, because the port is clearly an USB3 port. Or the detection software on the sensors is also bugged as well!?
I really don't like the condescending tone of the part of your message '...if you think it should be a USB 3.0 port.'

Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?