cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Fond Farewell to Oculus Go, Plus A New Distribution Path for Oculus Quest, Coming in 2021

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Good golly, that tweet really does sound like the death knell for tethered PCVR from team Oculus. 

😄 

https://twitter.com/oculus/status/1275474679055052802/photo/1

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
131 REPLIES 131

slartibartphast
Explorer
A soft-bricking, how nice.
If they did this right they would: allow 3rd party apps to be freely loaded into it and/or let us trade in for credit toward a non dead option quest or rift,

tyson133
Honored Guest
And once again those of us who are disabled and unable to use the Quest/Rift controllers get screwed.  The GO was the only VR with a controller that I could actually use, but Oculus doesn't care enough to even listen, because "There's an Oculus for everyone"....Yeah right.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Correct me if I am wrong but haven't all Go apps been made.compatible with quest (or should that be quest is made compatible with Go apps ?)
If so it kind of makes sense.... If quest can do everything Go can do and a lot more then that is just progress imo.

The next stage could be to bring out a higher end standalone device to sit along side the quest which can hopefully completely tick all the boxes of rift S without any compromises. Then pull that too
(My only slight concern there is weight ..... In my imaginings I would love the compute in such a device to be removable but I guess this adds to cost and inconvenience.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

Good golly, that tweet really does sound like the death knell for tethered PCVR from team Oculus. 

I don't agree - Oculus specifically states they'll now focus even more on RIft (=tethered VR):

We’ll end sales of Oculus Go headsets this year as we double down on improving our offerings for Quest and Rift.

Rift is mentioned once in that announcement compared to Quest 16 times. I think it's perhaps prudent to desire a hybrid system from Oculus a QuestRift that allows for proper tethering to PC but also portable standalone all in the one headset. 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I guess you didn't actually read what they said? Rune already corrected this, but it deserves another highlight due to the clickbait you dropped there, mister.

We’ll end sales of Oculus Go headsets this year as we double down on improving our offerings for Quest and Rift.

It's literally in the opening paragraph. The number of people that have wished the death of the Rift over the last 4 years is hilarious.

Hyperbolic clickbait aside, the news for Quest is great.

we recently shared that people have spent more than $100M on Quest content and more than 10 titles have generated over $2M in revenue on Quest. 

We’ve heard that many developers and enthusiasts are looking for easier ways to distribute apps outside of the Oculus Store. We're excited to announce that in early 2021 we’ll offer a new way for developers to distribute Quest apps. This will enable developers to share their apps to anyone with a Quest, without having to be accepted into the Oculus Store, and without the need for sideloading. 

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Hold yer defensive horses. If you read, I said the tweet sounded like the death knell not the blog post.

B) 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Hold yer defensive horses. If you read, I said the tweet sounded like the death knell not the blog post.

The tweet links to an article that doubles down on the Rift.

And then people wonder why Oculus Staff doesn't post on this forum more often...  😄

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
So fundimentally, the departure of Carmack and the closure of Oculus Texas could be seen as the starting gun for the end of Oculus Go... interesting.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Carmack has not departed neither Oculus nor Facebook:

He will remain in a “consulting CTO” position at
Oculus, where he will “still have a voice” in the development work at
the company.

Carmack will still work on some VR projects at
Facebook, a spokesperson told Variety. In addition to general advisory
tasks, for example, he will keep working on projects that maximize VR
visual quality on lower-powered mobile hardware. However, he says that
VR will “only be consuming a modest slice of my time” while he works on
AI.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/13/20963899/john-carmack-stepping-down-cto-of-oculus-work-on-ai

Anonymous
Not applicable
RIP Rift.
Goooo Quest!!
 😉 

I may be even more enticed by the upcoming Reverb G2.