cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Fond Farewell to Oculus Go, Plus A New Distribution Path for Oculus Quest, Coming in 2021

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Good golly, that tweet really does sound like the death knell for tethered PCVR from team Oculus. 

😄 

https://twitter.com/oculus/status/1275474679055052802/photo/1

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
131 REPLIES 131

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I guess to be fair, the OP went a step further to say that Oculus PCVR is dead, not just the Rift. The hyperbole is real yo!

nalex66
MVP
MVP

... I think it's perhaps prudent to desire a hybrid system from Oculus a QuestRift that allows for proper tethering to PC but also portable standalone all in the one headset. 

As I've often said before, I think this development path is the most likely for future headsets. Shall we call it the Oculus Quift?

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Oculus Quift?? 

2mlji35hqt7n.gif

Once this Hybrid comes out, we get to look forward to another 4-5 years of debates between the "rift is dead" vs "rift is alive" teams. Afterall, does a Hybrid prove that the Rift died, or lived on?

Discuss!  😛

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Oculus Quift?? 

2mlji35hqt7n.gif

Once this Hybrid comes out, we get to look forward to another 4-5 years of debates between the "rift is dead" vs "rift is alive" teams. Afterall, does a Hybrid prove that the Rift died, or lived on?

Discuss!  😛

Depends on the name. If it ain't Rift, well it ain't Rift lol.
Hmm perhaps Oculus could sell the Rift name off...

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

dburne said:

Zenbane said:

Oculus Quift?? 

2mlji35hqt7n.gif

Discuss!  😛

Depends on the name. If it ain't Rift, well it ain't Rift lol.
Hmm perhaps Oculus could sell the Rift name off...

The Rift name is awesome, I like it much better than Quest. Let's hope we'll see a real Rift 2 in a year or two - especially if Valve, HP and maybe MS can help push the PCVR platform. 

Oculus buying RAD seems to me like a signal of PCVR being very alive at Oculus. Lone Echo is the epitome of PCVR, not sure it would be great to buy RAD if you only believe in the good old Samsung S8 gpu 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

kojack
MVP
MVP

Correct me if I am wrong but haven't all Go apps been made.compatible with quest (or should that be quest is made compatible with Go apps ?)

Carmack on twitter:
A side-goal of the Go-compatibility work was to be a back-door into the Quest ecosystem until it could more formally open up, but it got scaled down to just the small, hand-picked list instead of everything-on-the-Go-store.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
They won't ditch the Rift anytime soon because the brand is so strong. You don't build a VERY strong brand for over 4 years and then drop it.

I'm surprised they're letting the Go die off though because it sold pretty well. I just guess that developer support dried up after the Quest was released?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Carmack has a lot to say about this subject. His tweets have some good insight.

Also, Carmack still proudly lists his position at Oculus VR

9zhu8pa6yei8.png

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
In the educational sector there is still a strong interest in VR with 3DoF performance. Many of those developers had already moved away from Go and were supporting the new alternatives that will not fill the vacuum.

nd00eqvrkgix.png

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
GO is much more cost-friendly than the professional Quest offering. I've been using my GO to help demo Virtual Meetings; as I can attend meetings between my GO/Quest and Rift, as multiple people.

I have no plans to retire my Oculus GO anytime soon. It will continue to serve as a unit to help demonstration Enterprise applications for VR, since I can have another user in Quest and me in GO in order to give someone who doesn't own an HMD a full experience demonstration.

I sure hope another vendor picks up where GO left off. Not every Industry is going to want to spend over $1,000 per HMD just for virtual meetings and the like.