cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sad news Today if True

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Excuse the melodramatic title but rumours are going around that SONY's at it again with the upcoming Resident Evil 8. A trusted source has suggested the game will be PSVR compatible. It's not clear whether this will be the same exclusivity as Resident Evil 7 but it's possible and likely given SONY's track record. 

I hope Capcom see sense this time and actually develop for PC as well even if it's the same one year exclusivity as before. Let's hope then or would now be a good time for Oculus to open-up those discussions with Capcom again?

😞 

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
40 REPLIES 40

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Oculus has every right to stop Revive from working but obviously let it roll. So there exclusivity doesn't lock-out those with other headsets. Sony on the other hand...

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I feel like that is comparing Apples to Oranges though... PS != PC. While not happy about it - I can understand why it might happen. Esp if a company paid software company to bring and make use all of its hardware.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Oculus has every right to stop Revive from working but obviously let it roll. 

This in no way obligates Sony to abandon their Exclusive Model. Oculus' "lack of action against Revive" does not equate to "Sony's forced action to make a title cross-platform." 

Inaction != Action

Sony is doing nothing wrong with their exclusivity, just as Oculus is doing nothing wrong. Revive is not an Oculus product.

So there exclusivity doesn't lock-out those with other headsets.  Sony on the other hand...

Oculus' "lack of lock-out" is being taken advantage of by a 3rd Party, Revive. Sony isn't their own 3rd Party. So your argument here makes no sense by blaming Sony. You should be blaming Revive for not expanding to Console-VR.

Mradr said:

I feel like that is comparing Apples to Oranges though... PS != PC. While not happy about it - I can understand why it might happen. Esp if a company paid software company to bring and make use all of its hardware.

Yep!

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

RedRizla said:

Well here's some good news and also bad depending on how you look at it. Star Citizen might be getting VR, but the bad news is it won't be available in any of our lifetimes. I'm hoping to just play the finished game in my lifetime, which still doesn't look likely to happen.

By the time SC gets VR support will will actually be in space working and living. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

OmegaM4N said:

RedRizla said:

Well here's some good news and also bad depending on how you look at it. Star Citizen might be getting VR, but the bad news is it won't be available in any of our lifetimes. I'm hoping to just play the finished game in my lifetime, which still doesn't look likely to happen.

By the time SC gets VR support will will actually be in space working and living. lol

- and we're done visiting the 400 billion star systems in Elite Dangerous  😄 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

Nice about Star Citizen VR. Not that I put any faith into anything they say but it's cool to at least see them talk about it. I still play Star Citizen from time to time, Jumped in it about a month ago in fact. It's a good time but still a long way to go. The progress compared a year or so ago is extreme but they overpromised way too much stuff.

When do you think Star Citizen will be ready if ever? Next year the game has been in development for a decade... 

It will NEVER come out of Alpha. Chris Roberts has moved his office to the Cayman Islands a while back and whenever he starts to run out of whores, cocaine and beer they just launch a new ship for people to buy. ???

Anonymous
Not applicable
And anyone developing Revive or something similar for a PlayStation console will need to either run it on a dev or test kit or find some way to run unsigned code on a consumer device.

And that way lies heavy lawsuits lol

Developers working on games or apps for the PlayStation (or any other console) need to buy at least one devkit, have a safe or secure office to keep the thing in, need to submit games that pass Standards and Functional testing (which costs a few grand for each Submission) and then when it does finally pass muster they need to pay a licensing fee.

This is why the vast majority of indie developers don't go anywhere near developing for consoles and develop for the PC instead. Because you can launch on the Oculus Store for free (but it will get permanently rejected from the Oculus Store if it fails Submission three times) or on Steam for a one off fee of $100.

Launching a game on consoles is WAY too expensive.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
are the charges on the switch less? that seems to have a pretty strong indie lineup
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not sure about the Switch but the Wii was a lot cheaper to develop for than the PS3 and 360 years ago. A devkit for the PS3 at launch was around £18,000 and a Wii devkit would only set you back £2000. You still have to have a safe or secure office to store the devkits, and pay for Submission and a licence though. So if this console generation is similar it'll be cheaper to develop for the Switch but still considerably more expensive than developing for the PC.

If you're a one man team the costs of developing for the Switch would be doable, but the more people you have in the team the more devkits you need so costs can get pretty high. The vast majority of indie developers are one or two man teams so tend to stick to developing for the PC because it costs next to nothing to do. Remember, if you have a team of 5 or 6 you need 5 or 6 dev kits plus the cost of an extra safe or two so that you can securely store the devkits plus pay the wages of those team members. It all adds up.

pyroth309
Visionary

RuneSR2 said:

pyroth309 said:

Nice about Star Citizen VR. Not that I put any faith into anything they say but it's cool to at least see them talk about it. I still play Star Citizen from time to time, Jumped in it about a month ago in fact. It's a good time but still a long way to go. The progress compared a year or so ago is extreme but they overpromised way too much stuff.

When do you think Star Citizen will be ready if ever? Next year the game has been in development for a decade... 

Depends on your definition of "ready." They're working on Squadron 42 first which is the story based game. I think they'll have that out in the next couple of years. For a release version of Star Citizen...maybe 6-10 years if ever.

Honestly though I don't really care. I threw a couple of cbills at it back in the day and I have a good time jumping in and playing with the ships and seeing all of the progress. There's some really jaw dropping environments. I have a prospector and a cutlass black and I've gotten my money's worth out of the game already so if it never comes out to a release version...whatever lol. I've spent more for less in other games.