cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift crashing/freezing my PC almost everytime...

Mysticmaus
Explorer
Hi!

Since i have my Oculus Rift my PC is having problems ... everytime when i am playing a game, it crashes/freezes my PC after a few minutes...

I have a high-end PC with 2x a Nvidia GTX 980 Ti , most of the time i have it in SLI , but in normal mode i also have the same problems ..

The GPU temps goes up to 80 C sometimes but nothing strange , it should be able to handle that.
The last time my PC crashed it was not even at 70 C..

Anybody has the same problems too? / Know how to fix this?

Greetings
28 REPLIES 28

Mysticmaus
Explorer
Hi!

Sorry for the late reaction , thank you for all your replies and advice! 🙂

I will try some things you all suggested , and let you know if i can fix the problems.

Greetings Mysticmaus

curiouspuya
Honored Guest
Hi Mysticmaus.  Any luck in solving your problem?  i have the same issue as you but with an GeForce GTX 1060 6GB card.  My PC has 8GB RAM which is the minimum.  I wonder if thats the issue.  It would be great to hear back from you.  

regards

Puya

joel_1253236
Honored Guest
Hi I have the same issue, when I'm using the Oculus Rift in my brand new Alienware 17 R4 laptop crashes and I can't even turn off the computer or force close the Oculus program, I have to long press the power button until the computer shuts off completely, also the desktop don't work is not responsive. Hope someone from Oculus can help us. If I will try to return the Oculus, It's not wort to have something that you can't even use.

This is my computer info 
Operating System

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit English

Video Card

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Overclocked

Memory

16GB DDR4 at 2400MHz (2x8GB)

Sneakygloworm
Expert Protege
If I can post this here, I would say stress test your pc and find out what actually fails and when. 

http://www.ocbase.com/index.php/download

OCCT will test CPU, GPU and PSU. When the duck quacks, something has failed. If the test lasts more than 10 minutes, you'll probly be okay to assume it's not a hardware issue. 

HowSickTV
Honored Guest
Was anyone ever able to find a reason for this mess up? i got an oculus for Christmas and about a week ago every time i try to play a game within a couple seconds to a few minutes my game and computer all crash.

If anyone has figured out a fix for this please let me know!

YoLolo69
Trustee
The reason is kind of simple. As it work for the vast majority of persons, you can assume you have a pretty big chance it came from your configuration. Stress test your machine like explained above, remove all kind of overclock if you did some, check all temperatures before it crash, if your PC crash check event or dump files, etc. PC is a mess by nature.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

TheMoe87
Honored Guest
got the same problem. recent drivers installed. cpu temp 50 gpu clock 50. but crash happens event on desktop just by closing down oculus home software.

FireWizard43
Honored Guest
i have heard that it might be the audio so try using different headphones, if you go on to download oculus on a search engine and click your headset (rift S) then it will say you have already installed so click repair (this shouldn't get rid of all of ur games) if it does just reinstall you wont have to buy again i ahvent finished the test i will let know if it works

CptKyle8
Honored Guest
     I am working on an issue like this now as well.  Play for 15 minutes or so and then the screen shuts off and I can hear ringing for a few seconds.  If you are using Steam VR with Oculus, Steam VR says something like "lost connection with the display, try reseating and rebooting Steam VR."  The only way I can get the headset to work again is to fully reboot my PC, and then the issue repeats; 15 minutes or so of gameplay until a crash...  I have been testing for a long time, seeing if the cords could be an issue, I tried moving a lot or staying still with no difference.  I have been through just about every software trouble shoot with Oculus support, and also any recommendations of software fixes and bugs in online forms like Toms hardware, Reddit, Oculus forums, and Microsoft forums.  I am talking with Oculus support now.  I have been surfing forums for about a month and the only guy I have seen report that he has fixed the issues I have, was on Reddit.  He said he exchanged his Oculus under warranty, and his new headset works fine.  I look at my own logs and can see lots of errors, even errors recorded before I booted up the headset.  Errors such as; permissions and possible missing/corrupted files, however I have repaired and even completely uninstalled and reinstalled Oculus software as well as several drivers, including USB drivers. So we have been trying numerous software fixes and nothing has worked yet.  They want to see my Oculus logs one more time and then they will likely just exchange the current headset under warranty.  I feel that something is messed up inside the headset's displays, causing connection issues.

I'll attach a log I just took for today that I sent Oculus.  I used the headset from 2pm and it crashed within about 20 minutes.  I played Pavlov and only experienced a bit of choppy visuals when turning my head (that looked to me like  potential display connectivity issues).  When Pavlov did not crash within about 10 minutes of test range firing.  I tried VR Chat, and that crashed within about 5 minutes.  Usually Pavlov crashes also, but it happened to not have this time, however had I kept playing I am sure it would have.

I noted that Pavlov was utilizing a little over 1300Mhz of my RTX 2080ti, VR Chat used about 2010Mhz in a world alone, so I think I'll keep an eye on that and test underclocking next incase the Oculus does not like certain frequencies coming from the GPU.  However, it could also be that since the graphics card is indicating that it needs to boost clock harder on VR Chat, it could also mean that VR Chat just has more data to transfer through the display, and there could be an issue with the headset's bandwidth of data coming through.  Of course this is just speculation, however when I first had my headset, it worked totally fine for several months, but by about month 5 it began having issues such as "Robot mic" and other known Oculus issues.  The guy who was on Reddit who solved his issues by getting a new headset explained the same thing to me.  I think if my speculations have any validity, something in the hardware related to data transfer has degraded, almost like a faulty GPU does, and the only way to increase stability is to underclock it in a way.  I still believe this is a hardware issue after all the software trouble shooting I have done, there is not much left I can even try, and the Oculus team I am working with is even running out of ideas on the software side of things.  We have tried trouble shooting straight from their hand book, and trouble shooting from all over the internet from people with similar issues.  At this point it just must be something wrong with the hardware, either something in the display connectivity inside the headset itself, or some issue with the cord (which I would not doubt since these cords get abused with motion from VR gaming).

Perhaps if we find a solution, or if I get a new headset which fixes all these issues, I will make a follow-up post, but it may be a few weeks.  Anyways, sorry for the long read, here are the logs.