Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
64 REPLIES 64

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's pretty impressive. 😮

Anonymous
Not applicable

Really clever stuff but they haven't delivered the last promise of half Dome yet.

I think they are only on Half Dome 4 so cut them some slack.
 😉 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

When Facebook releases no news:
"Facebook is killing my VR"

When Facebook releases research news:
"Facebook prototypes are killing my VR"

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
More info just released from FB of the prototypes wireless battery pack and deluxe headstrap....
8gfzyccm5bf4.jpg
😛
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

Fuck this forum quoting.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary

So... so... the Rift S AND the Quest are dead.

Right I'll try again totally losing my composure for this post but here goes.

*In annoyingly squeaky high pitched munchkin voices. Don't you mean...

"Ding-dong, the Rift is dead! Which old Rift? The wicked Rift
Ding-dong, the wicked Rift is deaaaaaad.

Ding-dong, the Quest is dead! Which old Quest? The wicked Quest
Ding-dong, the wicked Quest is deaaaaaad."

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Luciferous
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Technically, they never promised half dome. That was just leaked info.

Officially Leaked at the last few Oculus Connect events ? 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

Technically, they never promised half dome. That was just leaked info.

Officially Leaked at the last few Oculus Connect events ? 🙂

Sorry. What I mean is, these were never portrayed as a Consumer Product. The Half-Dome info has always been presented as prototypes that they are using to research future headsets.

These are experimental headsets, where the end-result is one or more of their breakthroughs potentially ending up in a future Oculus Consumer headset (e.g. Rift, Quest).

If you check their 2019 blog on Half-Dome, there are zero references to any releases:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/half-dome-updates-frl-explores-more-comfortable-compact-vr-prototypes-fo...

This is how they end it:
"While we’re still developing the Half Dome series of prototypes at FRL, we’re excited to see where our varifocal research takes us next."

Half-Dome is all about researching future innovations, and Oculus only presents the progress of said research. I called this "leaked info" as my lazy ass way of referring to the fact that Half-Dome is only a prototype that gives us data to discuss.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Agreed @Luciferous - this is not a new piece of internal information - but it has been wrapped in a new visage using the hurried image of the research candidate. 

I wanted to share an observation made on one of the closed Oculus Dev forums:

.... as with the above, the timing is just too pat for me. This is like the market backlash on abandoning GO was unexpected, (people who brought the system in lockdown unhappy with being dumped), and the marketing-image needed to be changed for a better look. So jump on the AR bandwagon and show a research concept that has been doing the rounds internally at Facebook before lockdown. I just hope this is not a Facebook Magic Leap moment! ....

I have to agree that the timing and the structure of this reveal - fundamentally showing a research bench design that has no chance of ever seeing the light of day in the near term is more smoke, than it is mirrors! That said - as with the research on Half Dome, I hope a actual product can benefit from some of this work...eventually.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Luciferous
Consultant
Everyone's bored of being tantalized with half dome for two years and not delivering any of it and so Oculus needs a new fantasy to show us. Whoopty do Basil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfYBsuBzulE

I am thinking of going through their trash for their old prototypes 🙂