cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
64 REPLIES 64

Whether in a public or private scenario... I'm always up for a bit of tantalising.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
So is this the next Oculus VR headset? If it's not then I'd much prefer to hear more about the Quest 2 and the updated Rift S from Oculus. While it's good to see what Oculus are working on for the future, it would be even better to see some leaked pics and specs for Oculus Quest 2 and Rift S 2, or whatever they want to call it.

Luciferous
Consultant

Whether in a public or private scenario... I'm always up for a bit of tantalising.

I had you down as a titillation type of guy  😄

edit:
My current Oculus stance

jadmcmo0p3q9.png

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Everyone's bored of being tantalized with half dome for two years and not delivering any of it 

I believe that inside-out tracking using software-based tracking to assist and controller-less tracking began in half-dome. If I'm not mistaken.

They haven't delivered on some of the bigger features yet, but again, it was always presented as research with possibilities anyway. I wouldn't say that they didn't deliver "any of it."

There are some rumors that we may finally see Half-Dome make it as a consumer product upon the release of Facebook Horizons. 

Luciferous
Consultant
Just my luck for them to introduce the one thing I didn't want, convenience over accuracy.

Lets hope you are right, my CV1 is falling apart.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Zenbane said:

Technically, they never promised half dome. That was just leaked info.

Officially Leaked at the last few Oculus Connect events ? 🙂

Sorry. What I mean is, these were never portrayed as a Consumer Product. The Half-Dome info has always been presented as prototypes that they are using to research future headsets.

These are experimental headsets, where the end-result is one or more of their breakthroughs potentially ending up in a future Oculus Consumer headset (e.g. Rift, Quest).

If you check their 2019 blog on Half-Dome, there are zero references to any releases:
https://www.oculus.com/blog/half-dome-updates-frl-explores-more-comfortable-compact-vr-prototypes-fo...

This is how they end it:
"While we’re still developing the Half Dome series of prototypes at FRL, we’re excited to see where our varifocal research takes us next."

Half-Dome is all about researching future innovations, and Oculus only presents the progress of said research. I called this "leaked info" as my lazy ass way of referring to the fact that Half-Dome is only a prototype that gives us data to discuss.

Whilst it hasn't been portrayed by Oculus as a final Consumer Product, it does have ALL of the features of Abrash's ideal headset.

I think it would be pretty likely that we'll see this thing being released sometime during the next few years as a final Commercial Product. ?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

dburne said:
I think they are only on Half Dome 4 so cut them some slack.

When dealing with prototypes, no slack is needed. That's not how prototypes work. It's also not how cutting slack works lol
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/prototype

Pro tip: It's good to stretch before running, but the stretching part isn't the running part.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:
Whilst it hasn't been portrayed by Oculus as a final Consumer Product, it does have ALL of the features of Abrash's ideal headset.

I think it would be pretty likely that we'll see this thing being released sometime during the next few years as a final Commercial Product. ?

Agreed that this falls under Abrash's prediction. But then we also have to take in to account Abrash's timeline; which sits at around 10 years from now.
 😮 

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
VR only needs focal length adjustment, which to my ears sounds like focusing the stereoscopic pairs to adjust for different focal lengths.

Assuming you have a system that can adjust the stereoscopic pairs using some sort of telescopic mechanism, you have the image to account for too.

Together the stereoscopic image used with correctly telescopic effect stereoscopic viewing mechanism you have the  focal length adjustment system half dome promises.

Such a mechanism isn't even being openly discussed presently afaik. nope, i have been hearing rumors of lightweight eyeglasses for vr and ar though on a 5 year timeline. so in 5 years they say we will have eyeglasses for vr and or ar freely available to the general public. nothing in that psa though about this telescopic mechanism to view the stereoscopic image at varying focal lengths using some viewing mechanism like the rift.

the skin surrounding the eyes are useful to note the focal distance of the eyes. the surround skin being wider = farther, small skin = closer. right now my rift hugs my eyeball skin like my eyebrows and below the eyes like a python hunting rabbits no movement whatsoever its terrifically tight on my head no wiggle whatsoever and it also squeezes down hard, and i expect the rift s 2 at the connect 7 convention to also hug my skin around my eyeballs so the hope of a stereoscopic adjusting mechanism using the skin surrounding the eyes isn't even being designed for.

even assuming you could design such a mechanism and image, the image sent to the display wouldn't make sense because the game has to adjust the pixel spaces on the fly to account for different focal length. It would have to work like unreal blueprint pawns that use the parent child binding, and the eyes focal length = the parent the game = the child, the game has to wait for the eyes and respond when the eyes focal length moves. making the entire game a pawn. unreal units would have to be adjusted moving static meshes and then the characters sizes would also have to adjust, the stuff like equipment would have to adjust,  it would be a nightmare to design for so i don't believe it until i c it being done. when the unreal makes entire games a pawn i will start to believe. 

till then vr with no focal length adjustment is just a fancy toy rich people play with.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wonder what ever happened with Eye Tracking Oculus was supposedly working on. I believe they even purchased an eye tracking company didn't they?
I see Pimax has it coming in July so they say.