cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
64 REPLIES 64

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

dburne said:

Wonder what ever happened with Eye Tracking Oculus was supposedly working on. I believe they even purchased an eye tracking company didn't they?
I see Pimax has it coming in July so they say.

I get the feeling a lot of innovations were being considered and adopted that have turned into dead ends when your focus moves away from high price PCVR and focused on Standalone Quest style systems. The same way the great advancements made on the CV1's audio was thrown away when the Rift-S was released. Lets hope they do not throw the baby out with the bathwater!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

kevinw729 said:

dburne said:

Wonder what ever happened with Eye Tracking Oculus was supposedly working on. I believe they even purchased an eye tracking company didn't they?
I see Pimax has it coming in July so they say.

I get the feeling a lot of innovations were being considered and adopted that have turned into dead ends when your focus moves away from high price PCVR and focused on Standalone Quest style systems. The same way the great advancements made on the CV1's audio was thrown away when the Rift-S was released. Lets hope they do not throw the baby out with the bathwater!

Yeah right... certainly makes sense.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I'm pretty sure that eye-tracking would make more sense in a stand-alone headset, since eye-tracking helps take away the need to increase Resolution (thus increase graphical power) as a means to upgrade graphics. Stand-alone headsets like Quest benefit much more from eye-tracking as opposed to a PCVR HMD.

Granted, the price of the headset would likely double due to the cost of eye-tracking technology. And math is important when you run a business.

To try to create an artificial connection between the idea of "focusing away from PCVR" and "focusing away from eye-tracking," would be like saying... since automobile companies are focusing on electric cars and move away from gasoline-powered engines, then that must mean automobile companies are focusing less on vehicles.

Also, there is zero evidence that Oculus has moved away from PCVR, as noted by not just the Half Dome prototypes, but all the PCVR exclusive titles released this year.

Hyperbole and fake news is alive and well during the 2020 Pandemic tho.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
While I don't think Oculus has moved away from PC-VR, I do think they need to up their price a bit and produce something like a Rift S Pro. If they are just going to sell VR headsets at a cheaper price like Nate Mitchell said, then does that mean we are just going to continue to see headsets that are lacking in things like audio quality etc?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

While I don't think Oculus has moved away from PC-VR, I do think they need to up their price a bit and produce something like a Rift S Pro. If they are just going to sell VR headsets at a cheaper price like Nate Mitchell said, then does that mean we are just going to continue to see headsets that are lacking in things like audio quality etc?

Yeah, it's hard to tell what a Rift upgrade would truly look like.

The main goal of eye-tracking is to increase visuals without increasing Resolution and GPU requirements, but eye-tracking technology does inflate the cost of the HMD rather substantially. I can't imagine eye-tracking coming to the Rift anytime soon since the Rift has the PC which can be upgraded and yields more overall benefits.

The cost of eye-tracking doesn't justify the return with the current state of VR software available (on all platforms) since Dev's have zero software to take advantage of it. The problem would be similar to five finger-tracking (e.g. Knuckles, Oculus' hands-free tracking), where there is very little software to showcase any benefits of using all 5 fingers.

A new Rift would likely have:
  • Wider FoV
  • Eliminates SDE, Glare
  • Better Refresh Rate
  • Blue Light Filter (and other anti-fatigue features)
  • Improved Inside-Out Tracking
  • Hands-free tracking
  • Pass-through camera
  • Video capture (for rendering 360/VR versions of your environment)
I don't think that Oculus will return to integrated audio though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

Oh yeah quite obviously.

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

I agree with that wholeheartedly and is what I have been wishing Oculus would do.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I just wish they would give us the option to have a higher resolution screen. I honestly think 2k per eye is where it's at because that is what looks close to a 1080p monitor in VR. With Oculus ASW you wouldn't need a graphics card that had to constantly push 90FPS either.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star

RedRizla said:

I just wish they would give us the option to have a higher resolution screen. I honestly think 2k per eye is where it's at because that is what looks close to a 1080p monitor in VR. With Oculus ASW you wouldn't need a graphics card that had to constantly push 90FPS either.

Thats like 2 1080p monitor resolutions going at 90 fps constantly? What kind of videocard even outputs 4k at 90fps nowadays i don't know of 1  at 4k and 90fps...

WHat would be nice for a 4k stereoscopic vr is to have the same image in both screens to reduce the amount of graphics card required, just mirror the screen at a pixel offset or mechanical ipd adjustment, to match the ipd of the eyes so your not crosseyed. Still has the 4k pixel density but not the 4k graphics card requirement and since there's no focal distance changing theres no need for stereoscopic pairs, for only one stereoscopic focal distance just setting the pixel offset or mechanical ipd adjustment in the x axis is enough.

1 eye sees in 3d anyway so this way both eyes act like the one eye so treats the image as 3d. and it lets the 4k be used so the pictures pretty.

Im pretty sure treating the rift or quest image as a stereoscopic image is useless compared to a mirrored image since there's only one stereoscopic distance.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

dburne said:

Zenbane said:

Oh yeah quite obviously.

So do you believe that Oculus is working on VR Glasses? The last time Oculus made a public statement was last week, when they said they were doubling down on Rift. But you chose fake news and said they never made the statement. Curious how you are going to spin these glasses. Fake news again?