cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Quest Link is the end of Rift/PCVR, then why all the Ports? (News)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Recently, the popular stealth game, In Death, was announced as coming to Quest.
https://uploadvr.com/in-death-unchained-quest-july/

Now Onward is making it rounds to the Quest platform:
https://6dofreviews.com/news/onward-is-coming/

Developer Downpour Interactive and publisher Coatsink (we love Coatsink for bringing us the fantastic Shadow Point, one of our highest rated puzzlers on Quest) announced that Onward will be out for Quest on the 30th, and priced at $24.99 RRP.

While the Quest’s graphics obviously can’t match the PCVR version, the screenshots we’ve seen so far are very promising

https://6dofreviews.com/news/onward-is-coming/

Why would developers bother spending their own time and resources to port these over from PCVR to Quest?

This seems to be a big clue, that despite the convenience of using the Quest Link to help expand a Quest user's library:
  • The number of Quest users who would bother investing in a VR Machine is too small to justify avoiding the extra revenue that comes with porting to Quest.
  • PCVR users still enjoy a much better experience with a PCVR headset (e.g. much better graphics and performance)

So if it turns out that by the end of 2020 we still have a Rift line of products in full throttle, this news is amongst the many clues.
44 REPLIES 44

nalex66
MVP
MVP
I don't think porting titles to Quest necessarily says much about the state of PCVR, but rather points to Quest being a very hot market. Several developers have stated that their sales on Quest have eclipsed their sales on PC, so for devs looking for to reach a larger audience, porting to Quest is a no-brainer.

For each Quest user who uses Link, there are probably 50 more who only play native apps (this hypothetical number is completely pulled out of my ass). I suspect that this is simply a measure of how many Quest users have VR-capable PCs, rather than a commentary on the quality of Link for PCVR.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I suspect that this is simply a measure of how many Quest users have VR-capable PCs

Yes! So this is exactly what I was getting at. I can agree with your lovely arse number of a ration of 1-outta-50 that have a VR capable PC. This ratio would indicate that the impact that Quest has on PCVR directly is incredibly minuscule; thus the revenue stream for a PCVR developer is still high should they actively invest in porting to Quest.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Weren't these games been ported to the Oculus Quest before the link cable was even mentioned? If Oculus Quest link is PC/VR in future then there wouldn't be a need for devs to even port their games for mobile use. I mean it would already be both PC-VR and mobile ready.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:

Weren't these games been ported to the Oculus Quest before the link cable was even mentioned? If Oculus Quest link is PC/VR in future then there wouldn't be a need for devs to even port their games for mobile use. I mean it would already be both PC-VR and mobile ready.

These games have not been ported yet. They are still pending release to Quest. And Quest Link was released last year. So, No, to everything you just said.
😛

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:

These games have not been ported yet. They are still pending release to Quest. And Quest Link was released last year. So, No, to everything you just said.
😛

When you said no to every I just said were you also saying no to this? If Oculus Quest link is PC/VR in future then there wouldn't be a need
for devs to even port their games for mobile use. I mean it would
already be both PC-VR and mobile ready.
Also when was the link cable announced? Because Onward has been getting ported over to Oulus Quest since mid 2019.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
If Oculus Quest link is PC/VR in future then there wouldn't be a need
for devs to even port their games for mobile use. I mean it would
already be both PC-VR and mobile ready. 

The Mobile platform and OS are entirely different from the OS (e.g. Windows) running on a PC. Are you suggesting that developers are going to only build mobile apps and never build PC apps again?

RedRizla said:
Also when was the link cable announced? Because Onward has been getting ported over to Oulus Quest since mid 2019.

Oculus Quest was announced around Aug/Sep I think. If you do the math, mid-2019 was a year ago. the Onward dev's could have avoided a year-long effort, saved time and resources and just waited for the release of Link.

Why do you think they didn't? Also, why do you think that the In Death developers went through with their own port to Quest?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
The Mobile platform and OS are entirely different from the OS (e.g.
Windows) running on a PC. Are you suggesting that developers are going
to only build mobile apps and never build PC apps again?

I have no idea what Oculus are going to do. You can already play top notch PC -VR games using Oculus Quest and link according to some people on this forum. I haven't tried the Oculus Quest myself though to see how well it works.

You posted asking the question "If Quest Link is the end of Rift/PCVR then why all the ports". I just gave you what I thought could be a reason, but off-course I have no idea what Oculus are planning to do, nobody does until they announce something.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RedRizla said:
I have no idea what Oculus are going to do. You can already play top notch PC -VR games using Oculus Quest and link according to some people on this forum. I haven't tried the Oculus Quest myself though to see how well it works.

The PCVR games are top notch, the performance and visuals on Quest are... top arse 😛

I've tried it, and would never do it again. Others who have talked about it on this forum haven't over-sold Quest's abilities to run PCVR. I can only think of one poster who pretends Quest is as good as Rift. But that seems intentional hyperbole.

You posted asking the question "If Quest Link is the end of Rift/PCVR
then why all the ports". I just gave you what I thought could be a
reason

You tried saying that the Onward dev's worked on this last year, but that doesn't really answer the question at all since Link was released last year. The Onward dev's could have stopped to save time and money. And you didn't answer my question about the In Death developers.

What if another PCVR developer starts the process of porting their games to Quest right this very minute. Today. Why do you think they would do that?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
What if another PCVR developer starts the process of porting their games
to Quest right this very minute. Today. Why do you think they would do
that?

So that it appeals to a larger amount of people rather then just have it on PC -VR. Some multiplayer games would also benefit from this because once a multiplayer game dries up, then people are less inclined to buy the game. Which recent PC -VR games are currently being ported to Oculus Quest?