cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If Quest Link is the end of Rift/PCVR, then why all the Ports? (News)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Recently, the popular stealth game, In Death, was announced as coming to Quest.
https://uploadvr.com/in-death-unchained-quest-july/

Now Onward is making it rounds to the Quest platform:
https://6dofreviews.com/news/onward-is-coming/

Developer Downpour Interactive and publisher Coatsink (we love Coatsink for bringing us the fantastic Shadow Point, one of our highest rated puzzlers on Quest) announced that Onward will be out for Quest on the 30th, and priced at $24.99 RRP.

While the Quest’s graphics obviously can’t match the PCVR version, the screenshots we’ve seen so far are very promising

https://6dofreviews.com/news/onward-is-coming/

Why would developers bother spending their own time and resources to port these over from PCVR to Quest?

This seems to be a big clue, that despite the convenience of using the Quest Link to help expand a Quest user's library:
  • The number of Quest users who would bother investing in a VR Machine is too small to justify avoiding the extra revenue that comes with porting to Quest.
  • PCVR users still enjoy a much better experience with a PCVR headset (e.g. much better graphics and performance)

So if it turns out that by the end of 2020 we still have a Rift line of products in full throttle, this news is amongst the many clues.
44 REPLIES 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

The Mobile platform and OS are entirely different from the OS (e.g.
Windows) running on a PC. Are you suggesting that developers are going
to only build mobile apps and never build PC apps again?

I have no idea what Oculus are going to do. You can already play top notch PC -VR games using Oculus Quest and link according to some people on this forum. I haven't tried the Oculus Quest myself though to see how well it works.

You posted asking the question "If Quest Link is the end of Rift/PCVR then why all the ports". I just gave you what I thought could be a reason, but off-course I have no idea what Oculus are planning to do, nobody does until they announce something.

Quest with Link with a good connection  and decent PC does run quite well.
And yes I have several hours trying out my Quest with the official Oculus Link cable. I prefer my Rift S due to comfort and for me it is the best experience , but have no problem using Quest with Link. I have done DCS, IL-2 Great Battles, Asgard's Wrath, and all three episodes of Vader Immortal on Quest with Link along with some other experiences. All performed quite well and looked great.

Others that do the above two flight sims have gone with Quest with Link initially and are quite happy with the experience they are getting. These are quite demanding games. 

Obviously I have no problem being critical of Oculus for things I wish they had done differently, but I will say Quest with Link they did a great job with, especially as it is still so early on in development.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

RedRizla said:
I have no idea what Oculus are going to do. You can already play top notch PC -VR games using Oculus Quest and link according to some people on this forum. I haven't tried the Oculus Quest myself though to see how well it works.

The PCVR games are top notch, the performance and visuals on Quest are... top arse 😛

I've tried it, and would never do it again. Others who have talked about it on this forum haven't over-sold Quest's abilities to run PCVR. I can only think of one poster who pretends Quest is as good as Rift. But that seems intentional hyperbole.

Perhaps you should post for help in the Quest forum on using Link. I am sure there would be others that could offer assistance.
I can easily see where some might think this, that perhaps just did not get things set up quite properly to run Quest with Link. But I also can see where some just might not be able to get it, perhaps due to their rig, conflicts with their system, poor choice of cable, etc etc.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

dburne said:
Perhaps you should post for help in the Quest forum on using Link. I am sure there would be others that could offer assistance.

It's really easy, and lacks in quality compared to Rift. Nobody needs help seeing this fact, just a pair of eyes.

But I also can see where some just might not be able to get it, perhaps due to their rig, conflicts with their system, poor choice of cable, etc etc.

My rig can run Lone Echo very well, and Quest doesn't push the boundaries at all graphically. Also, Quest can be used for PCVR via Virtual Desktop as well. The outcome is the same. If you haven't tried that yet - which it seems you haven't since you only talk about Link - then... post for help on the Quest forum.

Between  YouTube, reddit, FB VR Groups, and this forum... you might literally be the only person pretending that Quest runs PCVR as good as a PCVR HMD.
 😄 

Obviously I have no problem being critical of Oculus for things I wish they had done differently,

Being critical is one thing, and I wholeheartedly support playing Devil's Advocate. It's totally my fav. But outright denying facts and actions is something else entirely. A good critic has to actually acknowledge reality first.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

dburne said:

It's really easy, and lacks in quality compared to Rift. Nobody needs help seeing this fact, just a pair of eyes.

But I also can see where some just might not be able to get it, perhaps due to their rig, conflicts with their system, poor choice of cable, etc etc.

My rig can run Lone Echo very well, and Quest doesn't push the boundaries at all graphically. Also, Quest can be used for PCVR via Virtual Desktop as well. The outcome is the same. If you haven't tried that yet - which it seems you haven't since you only talk about Link - then... post for help on the Quest forum.

Between  YouTube, reddit, FB VR Groups, and this forum... you might literally be the only person pretending that Quest runs PCVR as good as a PCVR HMD.
 😄 

You might be one of the only people that can't see how good Quest with Link does.
That is ok though, not everyone can get it right.

Here is a clue for you - just like Rift and Rift S and Quest, if you go by the posts on the forum you would think no one ever has an acceptable experience. The folks that have them running well and enjoy them, well the majority don't spend much time posting about it on the forums. 
I would think you have spent enough time on forums, even just this one alone, to realize that.

Why should I post for help with Virtual Desktop? It is not in my interest.
As far as Quest with LInk - suggest you get your eyes checked. Graphically it is very good.
But hey if you can't get it you can't get it...

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

dburne said:
You might be one of the only people that can't see how good Quest with Link does.

It's good for what it does, but it isn't good enough to replace PCVR. There's a big difference.

You're riding around town in a scooter and telling sports car drivers that your ride is just as good because your scooter plays sports car videos. Cute.

Here is a clue for you 

You still need to process the biggest clue that developers are sending you. PCVR titles are being actively ported to Quest instead of relying on Link, because running Link is total arse when there are better options, such as running it native or using a PCVR headset.

It's not even much of a clue, just a literal observation. Much like the suns rays are clues that the sun is hot.

As far as Quest with LInk - suggest you get your eyes checked. 

My eyes allowed me to read a statement where Oculus said they are doubling down on the Rift, and when your eyes read it... you said the words didn't exist. Considering how your eyes are working, you may need your head checked lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

dburne said:

It's good for what it does, but it isn't good enough to replace PCVR. There's a big difference.

You're riding around town in a scooter and telling sports car drivers that your ride is just as good because your scooter plays sports car videos. Cute.

Here is a clue for you 

You still need to process the biggest clue that developers are sending you. PCVR titles are being actively ported to Quest instead of relying on Link, because running Link is total arse when there are better options, such as running it native or using a PCVR headset.

It's not even much of a clue, just a literal observation. Much like the suns rays are clues that the sun is hot.

As far as Quest with LInk - suggest you get your eyes checked. 

My eyes allowed me to read a statement where Oculus said they are doubling down on the Rift, and when your eyes read it... you said the words didn't exist. Considering how your eyes are working, you may need your head checked lol

ROTFLMAO.
You are just too dang funny.

You do recall Oculus stating before the pandemic hit how surprised they are with the boost of sales of Quest after Link was introduced. Hell they had trouble filling all the pre-orders of the Oculus Link cable, and then keeping them in stock.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

dburne said:
You do recall Oculus stating before the pandemic hit how surprised they are with the boost of sales of Quest after Link was introduced. Hell they had trouble filling all the pre-orders of the Oculus Link cable, and then keeping them in stock.

So you read that, but still can't read where Oculus said they are doubling down in the Rift?
ROTFLMAO.

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I think you already summed up the main reason. The profits margins are better porting to the Quest. I didn't see anyone mention the portability/wirefree aspect of the Quest version though. That must be quite a big selling-point. At least devs don't have to completely start from scratch porting their games over so it makes perfect sense to invest time and energy into the platform. There's also the chance these versions will also work with any future Quest hardware revisions as well.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

dburne said:

So you read that, but still can't read where Oculus said they are doubling down in the Rift?
ROTFLMAO.

Suggest you read it again. Make it easy on yourself.
Highlight the words Rift S and Quest.
Once done, take a glance at the text overall and see if you can figure out where the emphasis is.
Now compare that in the same way with the last few Oculus software release notes. This is where the rubber meets the road, in what they actually do.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Sorry Don but I gotta disagree with you (probably 1st time ever) about the quality of PCVR with Quest/Link.  I have spent a fair amount of time (thanks to c.virus lockdowns) fine tuning my Link setup and there is no way that my results come close to my good old Rift cv1 with 2.0 super sampling.  This is with a pretty beefy desktop PC (see my sig), the official Link cable, and a separate pcie 3.1gen2 card. 

Given the Quest's current limits of 150mbps that it must decode it does remarkably well but there is no way it can compete with 10x the mbps of DP and Hdmi with dedicated PCVR headsets that do not require compression/decoding. This becomes even more obvious with more complex flight sims like X Plane 11 and racing sims like Assetto Corsa.  I think Carmack mentioned last year (Sept/Oct?) that he believed that he could increase the data transfer rates of Link but that this was not going to happen overnight.  Maybe one day though.  But for now my expensive Link cable will just be collecting dust.  

I have also spent a fair amount of time fine tuning my Quest wireless with Virtual Desktop and I've found in many cases this works better than Link.  Thanks to a pretty good internet setup (gigabit router wired to my PC w/Ethernet cable, and very good adjacent 5Ghz wifi) my latency is not much higher than Link (approx 30ms vs 20ms).  Like link, it still does not handle complex flight/racing sims very well but for most PCVR games it does very well.  Google Earth, Lone Echo, and HLA work well and it's nice to be able play these wirelessly.  So, the only PCVR my Quest is going to see for the foreseeable future is wireless with VD.  Of course the Quest does a very good job with mobile VR and it's often a lot more convenient to be able to fire it up and run it standalone.  I actually still prefer my Go for media because it is much more comfortable.

So, my view probably aligns a little closer to Zen right now.  The main market for Quest is mobile VR and given the large numbers sold, it's pretty obvious to me that developers will increasingly develop/port games for it.  Hopefully many of these will be cross-buy, lol!  No way I see it replacing the Rift for PCVR in the near future (2021-2022).
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers