cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Software Build 18.0 Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Update 7/9/2020 - As part of an update to the v19 PTC software that is now available, we have included improvements to touch controller tracking for Rift / Rift S users. This should help mitigate the unexpected tracking behavior that some of you have been experiencing since we released v18. If you have encountered this bug, please opt-in to the v19 PTC to try out the latest updates and let us know if you’re seeing an improvement in controller tracking. Our team will continue to investigate and work on this - as always, thanks for your patience and understanding!

Update 7/6/2020: 
Hey folks - Thanks to everyone who has reported bugs in our most recent software update. We are aware that this update has caused hand tracking to not work as intended for some Rift users. We appreciate your patience as we work on implementing a fix - more to come.

These features and enhancements will become available throughout the week of 06/29/2020

Oculus Link

• Improved translation accuracy on predicted-poses. This improves the visual stability of up-close content under fast head motion.
  • Fixed an issue where a gamepad could not be paired if only Quest was paired with the Oculus desktop app.
  • Fixed an issue that prevented Quest from being detected by a PC event though it’s plugged into a compatible port. 

If you encounter any bugs or issues with this software release, please be sure to report them using the Help Center > Provide Feedback option within the Oculus desktop software. You can also reach out to our customer support team here. If you're reporting something that you'd like assistance troubleshooting, please be sure to include logs. Instructions for how to do so can be found as part of our pinned thread here. Thanks!
87 REPLIES 87

morphee7
Expert Protege

Globespy said:

morphee7 said:

oh christ the download had started while i was racing, now im off the rift s im scared after this update it will kill my headset with again nothing on the rift's on the release notes....... im scared............ very scared

And how did it go morphee7?
Everything running fine?

seems ok thank god, i was so scared of turning the pc on after the update last night but happy to report no issues here this time, im just glad i didnt get chance to return the rift s at the start of lockdown when i had issues iirc at v16

dhrto
Expert Protege

dhrto said:

All signs are saying jump ship to me. I doubt there will ever be a CV2 and in the unlikely event there ever will be, I doubt we could re-use the old sensors, as opposed to the Index.

Bah, maybe I should have chosen the original Vive over the CV1 after all. But oh well, hindsight is always 20/20 like they say... Anyway it's been a swell ride these past 4 years. I'm rather glad I didn't purchase that much in the Oculus software store (not that their sales were ever very enticing).

I understand your frustration as I have two CV1s (and a Quest). But the Quest has proven that the future of VR is untethered, whether it is increasingly powerful self-contained units, or more efficient wireless solutions. External sensors, including light house are dead end technology.

I think Oculus is in a prime position to own this space. If by jumping ship you mean to the Quest, then I agree, though obviously Quest as is, is a dead product with no future. Quest's successor is the future. If you mean jump to something other than Oculus, those ships are all sinking as well, and unless they come out with tetherless solutions, they will be dead ends too. 

The prime candidate for me right now is the Valve Index. I really hope that tethered solution will still be a choice, because I don't think untethered will get there just yet in the next 5 years. At least from my point of view / for my use case:
1. It needs to be able to play PC games at high resolutions. So wireless transmission of video of 4K+ needs to be flawless, latency must not be noticeable. Stand-alone / self-contained is out of the question, since I need to able to use wheels / pedals / hotas accessories for the type of games I'm playing.
2. I need to be able to use extra sensors to create a reference point for motion cancellation. Needed for use with a motion platform.
3. If 1 flawless wireless transmission would be possible, we need battery packs that can last a couple of hours straight for those endurance races.
4. I would be cool to be able to add extra sensors on your legs and feet, to better simulate crouching and lying prone in shooters. This might be able to be solved by extra camera's on the back of the headset with inside-out-tracking.   

I don't mind if above comes with a price premium, as long as it works well and is well supported. I'd rather pay $1000 plus for something that's good rather than $400 that's just meh... I do realize I'm probably in the niche of an already niche market, but it would be nice to have that option. I think untethered and tethered can coexist just fine. 

Also in VR arena's where you can play multiplayer games together they still use the 'light house' tech, because as far as I understand, the inside-out-tracking are having some problems with tracking in dynamic environments. So to say it is an dead end technology, might be a little premature at this point.

morphee7
Expert Protege
@dhrto tethered will always be the way to go for us sim racers/flight sim users as theres no way a stand alone will be able to run them in the foreseable future

Zoralback
Explorer
Nice...so the tracking issues I had turing the PTC are still present here,making my headset completely unusable

Xarstealth
Protege
wow im impressed! nothing fixed for the tons who have to play with cables at every boot...but ...

for the first time no new bug for me! except for crazy controller track for the first couple of minutes..

Xarstealth
Protege

dhrto said:
1. It needs to be able to play PC games at high resolutions. So wireless transmission of video of 4K+ needs to be flawless, latency must not be noticeable. Stand-alone / self-contained is out of the question, since I need to able to use wheels / pedals / hotas accessories for the type of games I'm playing.
2. I need to be able to use extra sensors to create a reference point for motion cancellation. Needed for use with a motion platform.
3. If 1 flawless wireless transmission would be possible, we need battery packs that can last a couple of hours straight for those endurance races.
4. I would be cool to be able to add extra sensors on your legs and feet, to better simulate crouching and lying prone in shooters. This might be able to be solved by extra camera's on the back of the headset with inside-out-tracking.   

I don't mind if above comes with a price premium, as long as it works well and is well supported. I'd rather pay $1000 plus for something that's good rather than $400 that's just meh... I do realize I'm probably in the niche of an already niche market, but it would be nice to have that option. I think untethered and tethered can coexist just fine. 

Also in VR arena's where you can play multiplayer games together they still use the 'light house' tech, because as far as I understand, the inside-out-tracking are having some problems with tracking in dynamic environments. So to say it is an dead end technology, might be a little premature at this point.

1) 4k video are totally not a problem for wifi...as u can stream theme from internet with a not so good connection u can stream it on a 500mbps internal net with a nice refresh rate, but i dont know if can reach 90\120hz suppose yes
3) problem 1 and 3 can be easily bypassed with a dedicated wifi 6e dongle that improve a lot bandwitch and latency while lowering consumes that helps also for battery, and also create a direct net from pc and headset without need to use the pc wifi (that most of ppl use for internet)
2) i dont know if i understand what u mean but yeah i think use both external and internal tracking will be the best in a house
4) its already possible just need to buy theme at absurd cost 😛

about insideout tracking well, its not yet enabled in devices so i think its difficult in arenas they can use it very good, theres already api under work to implement a sort of "qr code" that tells to the device what object are u watching, that can be a lot usefull in arenas when will be implemented, but for stand alone devices well..u need more cpu power...maybe can be interesting use a server that manage all wifi devices of the players

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

dhrto said:

The prime candidate for me right now is the Valve Index. I really hope that tethered solution will still be a choice, because I don't think untethered will get there just yet in the next 5 years. At least from my point of view / for my use case:

I still don't think that the Index solves your problem. When Valve partners with HP and MS on a new headset, my first thought was that they put their toe in the water of making their own headset and realized it was better to let someone else deal with those headaches. Especially worrisome to me was that their new partnership involved WMR tracking and not Valve's solution. If you worry is about how long something is supported, I don't think Index resolves that. I could be wrong.

As far as cost, I would love the better quality of the Index. But almost universally people expressed the opinion "Is the Index better than the Rift S? Yes. Is it $600 better? No."

If I were you, I would use my Rift S until it can't run something or breaks. Hopefully, by then we will be on to VR 2.0 and there will be a more long term solution. 

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

huliqan
Adventurer
Разрабы-гондоны! Цукерберг-ушлёпок конченный!нах мне впился why do I need your update for Quest???((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
I use PC HMD ONLY!!! Your Quest-kindergarten! Helmet for children! it not for adults serious games and simulations!
Make a separate HOUSE for the Quest and update it at least every day.Нахуя нам ваши тупые обновы всрались?(((

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I got final v18 earlier today.  I've tried a number of Oculus Store and Steam games, plus X Plane 11.50b11 and all seems to work the same as v17.  I still need to kill XP11 with task manager in order to exit.  I still need to select render panel in dash settings/graphics in order to avoid black right/left artifacts when moving my head right/left using the Oculus desktop.

Otherwise all's well (or as well as it's going to get I guess).  Funny but when I look at the 'what's new' it says v19 and includes ptc v19 details.  However, my Oculus app settings/general tab says it is in fact v18.

Edit; Rift cv1 w/2x sensors btw.  Pretty obvious if you can see my signature below my post, but maybe not if you are viewing on a mobile app.  Cheers.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

dhrto
Expert Protege

dhrto said:

1) 4k video are totally not a problem for wifi...as u can stream theme from internet with a not so good connection u can stream it on a 500mbps internal net with a nice refresh rate, but i dont know if can reach 90\120hz suppose yes
3) problem 1 and 3 can be easily bypassed with a dedicated wifi 6e dongle that improve a lot bandwitch and latency while lowering consumes that helps also for battery, and also create a direct net from pc and headset without need to use the pc wifi (that most of ppl use for internet)
2) i dont know if i understand what u mean but yeah i think use both external and internal tracking will be the best in a house
4) its already possible just need to buy theme at absurd cost 😛

about insideout tracking well, its not yet enabled in devices so i think its difficult in arenas they can use it very good, theres already api under work to implement a sort of "qr code" that tells to the device what object are u watching, that can be a lot usefull in arenas when will be implemented, but for stand alone devices well..u need more cpu power...maybe can be interesting use a server that manage all wifi devices of the players

I think streaming video (like Netflix) is fundamentally different than 'streaming' live video data from VR. With Netflix the content is pre-compressed, because it is already known and latency is no issue, because it doesn't need to react in real-time to user input. With VR, the video data would need to be compressed and decompressed on-the-fly, which will only add more latency especially at higher resolutions. Compare this to in-house streaming with Steam or Xbox. At 1080p this is quite ok, but 4K not so much (without sacrificing the picture quality too much). A dedicated Wifi or Wigig network for streaming would help of course, that's how it works with the Vive as far as I know.

The thing is when playing seated games like driving or flying sims, the tether doesn't bother me at all (it's just one suspended cable in my case). I agree for true roomscale games, unthethered is more likely the way to go. But untethered can still use 'light house' tracking, because those don't need to be connected to the HMD. 

Nunyabinez
I agree the Index is still not VR 2.0, but it's a lot better than the Rift S or CV1 that I own, while being supported by a big company. I've been looking at the Pimax HMD's too, which specs are better, but from a much smaller company, so ultimately that is a pass for me. It's always a leap of faith with these purchases, but seeing how Oculus is handling the Rift S (only a mere year on the market), my faith in Oculus is at a minimum level right now.

About price, there's always diminishing returns when you go higher into the segment. Whether it's worth it, is very personal. To me, the original CV1 has also cost me about € 1.000 in total (early adopter pre-order), so the price of the Index is in the same league to me. And to put things into perspective, for me it's just a rather small percentage of the total cost of my sim racing rig.