New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

PC Software Build 18.0 Release Notes

Comments

• ageofwar666ageofwar666 Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Well I have 2 issues with the oculus software at the moment

1) Every time I start my PC up it keeps saying there is an issue with my USB plug and I have to restart the software about 2 to 3 times to fix fit (there is no way I'm getting on my hands and knees every morning). I have been living with this issue for coming up to a year now

2) The last updated screwed my controllers up
  • FelicityCFelicityC Posts: 164
    Art3mis
    On top of the already established issues with the Rift S that have been pointed out everywhere possible for almost a year now with no addressing, such as: Robotic mic, black screen, broken AWS, stuttering, controllers losing tracking randomly, virtual screens exhibiting culling issues unless you turn on render panel in the dash, USB issues and DP issues. (These issues either happen a lot, or very rarely depending on who you ask)

On top of all that, now the controllers not only lose tracking for a few seconds, but they start rotating like a trophy randomly, as well as the  the performance takes a huge dump for about 30 seconds, even when you're just sitting in home (this didn't happen enough to annoy me, but it shouldn't be a thing)
    oooooh yes the spinning issue I'm glad someone else was experiencing that, I thought my controller was having problems

just literally spins in a circle like wtf is it doing

8700k @ whatever i feel like, 2070 Super, 3200mhz 32gb memory @ CL16, 1tb wd sn750, msi z370 gaming plus, pvc pipe gun
  • RedRecidivistRedRecidivist Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Does anyone know specifically what they fixed for this one:

"Fixed an issue that prevented Quest from being detected by a PC event though it’s plugged into a compatible port."

I was hopeful that my ASM3142 USB-C based port might start working (as it's on the front of my PC and I'd get an extra meter of reach from the cable) - but no such luck, it still doesn't work.
    Brain Burst
    Does anyone know specifically what they fixed for this one:

"Fixed an issue that prevented Quest from being detected by a PC event though it’s plugged into a compatible port."

I was hopeful that my ASM3142 USB-C based port might start working (as it's on the front of my PC and I'd get an extra meter of reach from the cable) - but no such luck, it still doesn't work.

doesn't suprise me since the last update has broken more than it's fixed at this point
  • blackdude0blackdude0 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited July 3
    Imagine buying a Rift S, dying out for pure impatience for the thing to get finally delivered... and getting all your excitement stomped by running into this thread... before the package ever arrived...

Should I even bother opening the package or just refund the Rift S? I was so happy about getting into VR, after the Rift S being sold out for months... FeelsBadMan
    Brain Burst
    Imagine buying a Rift S, dying out for pure impatience for the thing to get finally delivered... and getting all your excitement stomped by running into this thread... before the package ever arrived...

Should I even bother opening the package or just refund the Rift S? I was so happy about getting into VR, after the Rift S being sold out for months... FeelsBadMan

Now that's REALLY bad timing, with this breaking update only dropping days earlier when the Rift s was still funtional in the offical branch of the software

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,631 Volunteer Moderator

Don't take problems posted on a support forum to be representative of everyone's experience; people who aren't having problems don't generally rush to a forum to announce it. Forums, by their nature, amplify issues that a small number of people have because they come here looking for help. If every Rift S user (or even a significant proportion) were having issues, this forum would be completely overwhelmed.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • CallMeJay360CallMeJay360 Posts: 137
    Art3mis

Issues aside, the fact that the Rift S hasn't been getting love at all since Febuary this year (which was when they introduced the god awful driver for it) should be enough indication as to if you should keep it, or return it and buy something else, that is actually being supported.
    Art3mis
    ShocksVR said:
    That being said, these Rift discussions on the Oculus forums have become pretty toxic.  It's a lot of the same ppl with the same complaints just stirring up drama.  I now usually avoid commenting on these forums, I'm only here for the update notes.  But just wanted to give you a warm welcoming and some insight to how other Rift S owners feel.
    I have yet to see who exactly is trying to stir up drama, when the fact of the matter is that every single point made, at least when it comes to the ones I've made, are legitimate, they have never been talked about or addressed by the staff or developers, even though they do happen and sometimes a lot. If anything some of us "same ppl" are trying to put oculus in check.

and to anyone who proudly says they're rift s is flawless, I'd love to see you have a 24hr stream and there be none of the issues I've and others have mentioned over the months.
  • bitziebitzie Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    ShocksVR said:

That being said, these Rift discussions on the Oculus forums have become pretty toxic.  It's a lot of the same ppl with the same complaints just stirring up drama.
    I would argue that the only people making the forums toxic and stirring up drama are Oculus themselves by for all intents and purposes abandoning their product while they continue to sell it to unsuspecting consumers. But I guess that since I'm not voraciously sucking Zuck's teat, I'm just being toxic and stirring up drama here.
  • ButtPuggButtPugg Posts: 2
    NerveGear

The exact same thing is happening to me - waited and waited. It finally came.and now i'm really regretting going oculus over ANYTHING else rn. Imagine spending all that money for a system whos software devs are completely incompetent. Oculus gotta pull their finger out, i give them under a week until i get a refund on my S and go for a company who knows what they are doing.
    Art3mis
    ButtPugg said:The exact same thing is happening to me - waited and waited. It finally came.and now i'm really regretting going oculus over ANYTHING else rn. Imagine spending all that money for a system whos software devs are completely incompetent. Oculus gotta pull their finger out, i give them under a week until i get a refund on my S and go for a company who knows what they are doing.
    This is not to say the headset itself is of bad build quality, I like the headset, but the fact some of these things have been around since February while others have been around since the headset came out, on top of the fact you don't have to take it from my comments, all you have to do is look at all the release notes since December of last year, the last one the Rift S was ever mentioned was in February, which was the one that broke everything and ever since then, here we are, some of us are waiting, others like myself are actively on their butts about it so they can do something, while others are singing kumbaya with Oculus and taking any criticism as hate, trolling, or drama.

There's a reason why nobody who is calling me and others these names ever debunk our points, because simply they can't. If you're going to buy into Oculus and that's all you can do, the Quest is the way to go, Mark himself said in the OC presentation of the Quest that this is their dream, this is what they want to do, this is the future, the Rift S was shown elsewhere with less talk of it, that should've shown me the intent, but I too thought it would be a safe bet to buy it and ditch my CV1.

Cheers
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,724 Valuable Player
    ...................... Mark himself said in the OC presentation of the Quest that this is their dream, this is what they want to do, this is the future, the Rift S was shown elsewhere with less talk of it, that should've shown me the intent, but I too thought it would be a safe bet to buy it and ditch my CV1.

Cheers

Like we said, when Rift S was announced, the fact that it was handed to Lenovo, and released simultaneously with the Quest, meant that there was a developing "rift" between Oculus and the Rift.
    That rift is becoming a Grand Canyon.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

Art3mis
    Richooal said:
    ...................... Mark himself said in the OC presentation of the Quest that this is their dream, this is what they want to do, this is the future, the Rift S was shown elsewhere with less talk of it, that should've shown me the intent, but I too thought it would be a safe bet to buy it and ditch my CV1.

Cheers

Like we said, when Rift S was announced, the fact that it was handed to Lenovo, and released simultaneously with the Quest, meant that there was a developing "rift" between Oculus and the Rift.
    Yep, I supposed I was too hyped for my own good. I like and welcome their future, but not at the expense of selling a headset they're not supporting or even mentioning at all aside from milestones and some game releases. Oh well.
  • cigaremoodscigaremoods Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    Hello

Personally, I have few problems with my RIFT S, except those already mentioned in the various discussions, and which are always present, but I do with it because I know that Oculus will do nothing to improve things for this device.

The Facebook company had to note that the owners of RIFT S are essentially players, and only players, they are not very interested in the other functions, notably social, offered by Oculus.

However with this restricted use you deliver only very little information on your private life which is annoying for the group because it is especially with the information of the private life of the users that they make profits.

So naturally they are disinterested in this fringe of "dry" users of private information. No profits = no investment to be made unnecessarily.
    Cordialy

nalex66 said:

Don't take problems posted on a support forum to be representative of everyone's experience; people who aren't having problems don't generally rush to a forum to announce it. Forums, by their nature, amplify issues that a small number of people have because they come here looking for help. If every Rift S user (or even a significant proportion) were having issues, this forum would be completely overwhelmed.

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, Intel core I9-9900K, MSI RTX 2080 TI Gaming X Trio 11go, Corsair DDR4 16go, SSD Samsung NVMe M.2 500go, SSD Samsung 2To 860 QVO,
  • comatrixcomatrix Posts: 30
    Brain Burst

Same here, Rift S will arrive next week and reading this...., put me in a bad mood
  • ButtPuggButtPugg Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    To all who are suffering from the flickering stutter problem, and are using laptop - Close the lid/display while you play. it virtually fixed it for me. 
  • legendlcoxlegendlcox Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I have some good and bad news, after submitting the ticket for the flickering controller issue, they are in fact aware of the problem but no fix yet. 
    "
    Hello,

Thank you for getting back to us here at Oculus Support.

At this time, this is an issue that we are currently aware of and we have our engineering team investigating and looking into a fix.

We appreciate your patience during this process and apologies for any inconvenience this may cause"
  • CobaltEightCobaltEight Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited July 5
    they are in fact aware of the problem but no fix yet. 

I wonder how long that'll take lol
    Brain Burst

Depends on how much they care about the Rift s?

From what I have understood from this forum they have already known about it for at least a month now and they still realised it into the official branch in the run-up to a major America holiday when they would be unlikely to look at any issues for a number of days.
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 509
    Neo
    edited July 5

Depends on how much they care about the Rift s?

From what I have understood from this forum they have already known about it for at least a month now and they still realised it into the official branch in the run-up to a major America holiday when they would be unlikely to look at any issues for a number of days.

Ya, I've seen ppl state that Oculus was aware of the 'flashing hands' bug in v18; but I honestly haven't see any talk of that bug on here or reddit PRIOR to v18 going to the stable branch this past week. 

While I understand not everyone reports their issues on the Oculus forums, you can check for yourself in the PTC 18 thread: https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/89940/v18-ptc-pc-software-release-notes/p3

What you will see, and I've seen both here and reddit, is the issues of poor STEAMVR performance, which was fixed by Oculus. Perhaps that 'fix' introduced the flashing controller bug. Point being, lets look at this as a new bug and give Oculus the time to fix it (hopefully it's fixed for ppl next week)

i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,754 Valuable Player
    Richooal said:

Cheers

Yes indeed.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • russelltsayrusselltsay Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Please roll back to v17 until you guys at Oculus can figure out the controller tracking bug that has left a lot of us with useless systems. 
    Is anyone have a clue about how to roll back to v17 ? I also got the controller tracking issue after update

Brain Burst
    edited July 6
    If I had a hard disk with Oculus software v17 1) What files would I need 2) How do you stop the Oculus software from auto-updating?

I had to clone my hard disk due to my old one was predicted to fail on me, I did the cloning before last weeks update when everything was working fine
  • russelltsayrusselltsay Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    If I had a hard disk with Oculus software v17 1) What files would I need 2) How do you stop the software from auto updating?
    There is an option to turn off auto update in main program the third option in "General" at "Setup".    
    Brain Burst
    If I had a hard disk with Oculus software v17 1) What files would I need 2) How do you stop the software from auto updating?
    There is an option to turn off auto update in main program the third option in "General" at "Setup".    

I believe that is the option for auto-updating your Oculus store downloads
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,754 Valuable Player

I believe that is the option for auto-updating your Oculus store downloads
    Correct.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • blackdude0blackdude0 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    ShocksVR said:

If you bought the Rift S to play PC VR games, then I say give it a go as you'll still have a lot of fun. The Rift S is still a very good PCVR headset (yes better than the Quest when it comes to playing PC games). I love using my Rift S and I have no regrets picking the Rift S over the Quest).

That being said, these Rift discussions on the Oculus forums have become pretty toxic.  It's a lot of the same ppl with the same complaints just stirring up drama.  I now usually avoid commenting on these forums, I'm only here for the update notes.  But just wanted to give you a warm welcoming and some insight to how other Rift S owners feel.
    Thanks dude. You seem pretty reasonable.