cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

v19 PTC PC Software Release Notes

ShowbizDonkey
Retired Support
Update 7/9/2020: As part of an update to the v19 PTC software that is now available, we have included improvements to touch controller tracking for Rift / Rift S users. This should help mitigate the unexpected tracking behavior that some of you have been experiencing since we released v18. If you have encountered this bug, please opt-in to the v19 PTC to try out the latest updates and let us know if you’re seeing an improvement in controller tracking. Our team will continue to investigate and work on this - as always, thanks for your patience and understanding!

Update 7/6/2020: 
Hey folks - Thanks to everyone who has reported bugs in our most recent software update. We are aware that this update has caused hand tracking to not work as intended for some Rift users. We appreciate your patience as we work on implementing a fix - more to come.

Oculus Link

You can now select from 4 graphics profile settings to optimize your experience with Link. The new settings options are:

• Automatic: When this option is selected, the optimal setting for your configuration will be chosen for you.
  • Performance: This setting is recommended if your configuration is lower spec.
  • Balance: This setting is recommended for mid tier spec configurations.
  • Quality: This setting is recommended for higher spec configurations.
99 REPLIES 99

FelicityC
Adventurer
hey man u know he meant bux...
8700k @ whatever i feel like, 2070 Super, 3200mhz 32gb memory @ CL16, 1tb wd sn750, msi z370 gaming plus, pvc pipe gun

jpaulw2
Explorer
I'm definitely not seeing the option anywhere, either in the oculus software, or on the quest itself. The only options for link quality are the same old automatic or two advanced options. All of my software is updated, 19.0.0.206.531

Anonymous
Not applicable
I hate Facebook VR more and more. I intended to buy the Quest as a replacement for my Rift, which is getting a bit too old for my taste. I still don't know if I should. I really don't want to support such a dishonest mentality. The Quest and the Rift were supposed to be working in parallel. It's clearly not the case, the Quest gets all the attention. I really wouldn't be surprised if Facebook straight gave up on PC VR at this point.

That said, the Quest still looks awesome, and if I get it to work with my PC, that will definitely be a good upgrade to me. So I really don't know. Once again, I have to choose between my love for tech and my hate for the company... I really don't like that situation. I stand my point that Oculus has the best software features, and I really don't want to give up on that ecosystem.

jpaulw2
Explorer

I hate Facebook VR more and more. I intended to buy the Quest as a replacement for my Rift, which is getting a bit too old for my taste. I still don't know if I should. I really don't want to support such a dishonest mentality. The Quest and the Rift were supposed to be working in parallel. It's clearly not the case, the Quest gets all the attention. I really wouldn't be surprised if Facebook straight gave up on PC VR at this point.

That said, the Quest still looks awesome, and if I get it to work with my PC, that will definitely be a good upgrade to me. So I really don't know. Once again, I have to choose between my love for tech and my hate for the company... I really don't like that situation. I stand my point that Oculus has the best software features, and I really don't want to give up on that ecosystem.

Honestly, compared to all of the other VR ecosystems, I'd stick with Oculus hands down.

I'm really sorry to hear so many Rift S users are having issues that are unresolved and sometimes even unaddressed by the developers, that really sucks because the Rift S is a great stopgap solution that exists somewhere between the older Rift and the Quest / other inside-out HMDs feature-wise...

However, I think its existence and application as some kind of in-between solution is what is probably motivating the developers to leave it behind. It's a real catch-22. Why, as a company, would you even invest in PC-only VR when you have a great, viable solution for standalone wireless VR that also works perfectly fine with the PC and costs the same price as the PC-only variant, does it all in gen1 form which can be improved, plus Quest-exclusive content that is actually selling really well? It's really weird that they even continue to sell the Rift S at all. I'd say its' days are numbered and we're currently experiencing the silent phase-out. Not because it's a bad product, just because it doesn't make any sense for them.

I would absolutely recommend to anyone to just sell your Rift S off (you can easily get near-retail prices for used right now) and get a Quest. Basically the same experience, plus wireless, and if the current trend continues, at least you'll be guaranteed support and good software updates.

drewthis
Honored Guest
yeah seems as though it is a pretty poor scene.....ive just received my Rift S....and im happy to say.....well.....ive had/ have all of the teething issues....you name it i think ive had it.....still havent even gotten passed initial set up! drivers, connect, lack of, etc etc and already spent countless hours troubleshooting and searching solutions......one usb to another lol....really

i will undoubtedly be lodging tickets in the near future.....but will keep troubleshooting myself until i cant any more (my stubborn self)........or until the new HP reverb G2 gets released and the RiftS......and what seems its lack of, or seemingly minimal amount of company focus gets shifted to the mantle piece......unused...as an ornimental dust collector......possibly a chew toy (not sure i could flog it off to someone else with the issues im having)

is it too much to ask for a stable yet reliable platform with good updates....possibly with the technology applied to it where a solution to a problem isnt to change from one usb port to another? or uninstall....reinstall.....turn off and on at the power point?

Sporg9
Explorer

dburne said:

Do these settings only affect Oculus Home and maybe Oculus games?
Or does it also have an effect on other PC-VR titles like those considered from "unknown sources" ?
Can you clarify where and how this is applied?
Like for instance in some of my combat flight sims I do in VR, one can set a profile in Nvidia Control Panel with similar settings. 

My guess is that it will set Link Quality like you can do with Oculus Debug Tool and Oculus Tray Tool today, and that it will set it according to the recommended values mentioned in the v12 release notes.
In that case it will work on everything, since it's the settings of the graphic quality of the video stream from your Windows PC to the Quest headset that gets adjusted.

comatrix
Protege
Question:
- is it mandatory to install V18 update?
Because I will receive next week my Rift S, but if V18 is so bad, I'll try not to install it...
  • VR Headset Oculus Rift S
  • CPU AMD 3.700x - GPU Asus ROG Strix 2080 Super - MB Asus ROG Strix X570 F-Gaming
  • RAM 32GB G.Skill 3.600mhz CL 16 - Storage 1TB NVMe M.2 2280 - 2TB SSD 3.0 - 3TB HDD
  • Cooler Dark Rock Pro 4 - PSU Corsair HX 1.000i Platinum Modular
  • Fans Hub DeepCool FH-10 - Case Cooler Master H500P Mesh Option
  • Airflow 2x240mm in, 4x120mm out, 2x135mm CPU, 3x85mm GPU, 2x35mm MB

TheXReal
Protege

comatrix said:

Question:
Because I will receive next week my Rift S, but if V18 is so bad, I'll try not to install it...

if you don't have the oculus software installed then you will end up in the V18 when downloading it, plus it will be forced on you at some point anyway so no running. 

sry but that's how oculus work - sadly

comatrix
Protege

TheXReal said:

comatrix said:

Question:

if you don't have the oculus software installed then you will end up in the V18 when downloading it, plus it will be forced on you at some point anyway so no running. 

And if I download V17 and block Oculus to communicate on the net? (the question is to find V17)
  • VR Headset Oculus Rift S
  • CPU AMD 3.700x - GPU Asus ROG Strix 2080 Super - MB Asus ROG Strix X570 F-Gaming
  • RAM 32GB G.Skill 3.600mhz CL 16 - Storage 1TB NVMe M.2 2280 - 2TB SSD 3.0 - 3TB HDD
  • Cooler Dark Rock Pro 4 - PSU Corsair HX 1.000i Platinum Modular
  • Fans Hub DeepCool FH-10 - Case Cooler Master H500P Mesh Option
  • Airflow 2x240mm in, 4x120mm out, 2x135mm CPU, 3x85mm GPU, 2x35mm MB

TheXReal
Protege

comatrix said:

TheXReal said:

comatrix said:

Question:

And if I download V17 and blcok Oculus to comunicate on the net?

well if you block it from connecting to the internet then sure you will stay in V17 but if you have plans on playing games on steam with SteamVR then steam could ask you to update your VR drivers because they are old.
happened to me at some point and it killed everything. ~(!was a long time ago!)

but yeah just keep in mind that if you don't update and just stay on the old drivers then some games might not 100% work right or some other drivers like SteamVR.

Edit:
all we need atm is a program that can bypass the Oculus software again so we can use SteamVR without the Oculus software.